New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · More Smith Rock

Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · More Smith Rock

Couple of individual images and then a photo-merge, something I've not tried before in CS6.

Stayed with PhotoNinja Scenic Enhanced preset throughout.

Bob

Oct 29, 2014 at 07:20 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · More Smith Rock

Never saw the site, but my impression is that the processing leaves the rock faces looking unreal. Is it the detail? The color? Some change in shadows and contrast? I can't say. First, and even more so the third have a look of a heavily detailed miniature scene.
All four are well-composed, although I think you have too much on the left in the third image, like before.
I'd like to see these with other processing for comparison. Maybe without the Scenic Enhanced applied, or perhaps dialed back.
Scott

Oct 29, 2014 at 07:25 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · More Smith Rock

sbeme wrote:
Never saw the site, but my impression is that the processing leaves the rock faces looking unreal. Is it the detail? The color? Some change in shadows and contrast? I can't say. First, and even more so the third have a look of a heavily detailed miniature scene.
All four are well-composed, although I think you have too much on the left in the third image, like before.
I'd like to see these with other processing for comparison. Maybe without the Scenic Enhanced applied, or perhaps dialed back.
Scott

A little too HDR-ish I think but worth a shot. From memory I'd say this is closer to the reality. Light was subdued and stunning, sky magnificent, air crystal clear at about 3200 ft elevation ; reasonably early morning.

Edited on Oct 29, 2014 at 07:35 PM · View previous versions

Oct 29, 2014 at 07:31 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · More Smith Rock

OK. So it is amazing and fantastic no matter how you process it!! I have a low rez capture of a mountainside in Alaska that has a similar, surreal look. Must have to do with the nature of the exposed rock surfaces, very foreign to me.
Scott

Oct 29, 2014 at 07:33 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · More Smith Rock

I am really liking these shots. I like 1's processing but 4's crop. The river and path are good lines and make your eyes not miss that tiny house (love the massive sense of scale) and then allow you to exit the frame gracefully through the top as you enjoy the background mountains.

Two looks nice but seems a bit overdone.

I freaking love three. Processing, comp, everything. It has this magical feel to it like it could be from a Lord of the Rings set.

Good stuff, Bob - I like seeing some color from you!

Jeff

Oct 29, 2014 at 07:34 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · More Smith Rock

sbeme wrote:
OK. So it is amazing and fantastic no matter how you process it!! I have a low rez capture of a mountainside in Alaska that has a similar, surreal look. Must have to do with the nature of the exposed rock surfaces, very foreign to me.
Scott

I love the sky out west, wide vista, and elevation - certainly not what we see in Georgia.

I find the Fuji lenses stopped down a bit razor sharp, which helps too.

Bob

Oct 29, 2014 at 07:41 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · More Smith Rock

beavens wrote:
I am really liking these shots. I like 1's processing but 4's crop. The river and path are good lines and make your eyes not miss that tiny house (love the massive sense of scale) and then allow you to exit the frame gracefully through the top as you enjoy the background mountains.

Two looks nice but seems a bit overdone.

I freaking love three. Processing, comp, everything. It has this magical feel to it like it could be from a Lord of the Rings set.

Good stuff, Bob - I like seeing some color from you!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

Fuji does the color, I press the shutter release. My color perception suggests I let those matters alone when fine analysis is required.

#4 is a merge of #1 & #2.

Location is formed by the edge of a caldera, volcano erupted about 60 million years ago. Newer sites, Three Sisters specifically, are surrounded by lava fields as far as you can see. Work a set of those up later.

Thanks again,

Bob

Oct 29, 2014 at 07:48 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · More Smith Rock

BTW, 4 is my fav.
Wish I was there.
I was out shooting (unsuccessfully.....See a Walk in the Woods) with a good friend over the weekend. Same Fuji body which he loves and feels great in the hand; wide to aprox 35 mm equiv zoom. Super sharp.

Scott

Oct 29, 2014 at 07:54 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · More Smith Rock

Nice set Bob,

Fuji colors have a bit of an enhanced profile to them natively, iirc ... adding Scenic Enhanced might be a bit much, thinking +1/2 or +1/4 of Scenic Enhanced might be sufficient if you have the ability to dial it down some.

Oct 29, 2014 at 08:45 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · More Smith Rock

I think I like 1 best, but it was a close call. I love them all. I had a similar thought on the rock color, but never having been there I am not sure. I am used to red rock in the southwest and blue/grey granite elsewhere, brownish rocks are just not as common. But these are obviously not grey or red so I trust the accuracy of your process.

Oct 29, 2014 at 08:53 PM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · More Smith Rock

Those fuji lenses are nice for sure!
My recent sets have all been Fuji.

#4 is my favorite - slightly wide-pano format works well.
Shame about the dead tree that's front center - but not often much you can do about that.

Hope you don't mind a little tweak - increased the contrast using "medium contrast" curve in LR, and darkened the shadows a bit. Also decreased blue/aqua luminance to accentuate the blue skies.

Oct 29, 2014 at 11:23 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · More Smith Rock

A few tweaks and crop.

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:08 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.