Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · New Canon lenses used on older Canon bodies?

SAshooter

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Canon lenses used on older Canon bodies?

Does anyone have information on how well the newer Canon lenses, such as the 24-70mm f/2.8L II, work with older camera bodies, such as the 1dmkIIn?

I'm considering the purchase of a 24-70mm and I've heard the latest version is much sharper than the old one. But, I've also heard somewhere that the old-style 24-70mm actually works better than the II version when used with older bodies.

Oct 29, 2014 at 04:34 PM
KiboOst
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Canon lenses used on older Canon bodies?

I Have 1dsII and have switch 24/70 v1 to v2 last year. The v2 is just better on every aspect. af is perfect, sharpeness just outstanding at all aperture/fl.

Oct 29, 2014 at 05:57 PM
SAshooter

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Canon lenses used on older Canon bodies?

KiboOst wrote:
I Have 1dsII and have switch 24/70 v1 to v2 last year. The v2 is just better on every aspect. af is perfect, sharpeness just outstanding at all aperture/fl.

I was afraid of that...guess I'll have to pony up the money for v2! But, better to know that now than be disappointed with the older glass. Thanks for your input!

Oct 29, 2014 at 06:04 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Canon lenses used on older Canon bodies?

I'm curious, do you actually have a V1 of the 24-70 now?

Oct 29, 2014 at 06:15 PM
SAshooter

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Canon lenses used on older Canon bodies?

No, just considering purchasing one to plug a hole in my kit. But, I DO own an older 400mm 2.8 and a 70-200 2.8. I've also heard good things about the Mark II versions of those lenses, but I can't afford to upgrade them any time soon!

Oct 29, 2014 at 06:19 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Canon lenses used on older Canon bodies?

SAshooter wrote:
No, just considering purchasing one to plug a hole in my kit. But, I DO own an older 400mm 2.8 and a 70-200 2.8. I've also heard good things about the Mark II versions of those lenses, but I can't afford to upgrade them any time soon!

I have a V1 70-200 2.8IS and got to play with a V2 finally a few months ago.

To be candid - I can't justify the difference in price for the difference in IQ. It's just not enough to suck another $1000 out of my pocket. But if the price differential were 3 or 4 hundred dollars I would do it.

After playing with the new lens, I felt the biggest improvement I could immediately identify was in the IS department.

Oct 29, 2014 at 06:27 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Canon lenses used on older Canon bodies?

AFIK every canon EF lens should work on all digital bodies.

There are some older film bodies etc that the new ones ( say 200-400 etc) might not.

Oct 29, 2014 at 06:36 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New Canon lenses used on older Canon bodies?

A sharper lens will provide sharper images on any camera than a less-sharp lens on the same camera, regardless of lens and camera ages. The overall resolution of a camera + lens system is the comined resolution of the two components. Actually, the reciprocal of the system resolution equals the sum of reciprocals of the individual components, but that's just a detail.

As Rob mentioned, the EF lens mount is pretty much completely backwards-compatible, and so a new lens with better IS than an older version of the 'same' lens will have better IS on all cameras, old and new. The newest lenses with 'super fast' AF might not work as fast with old cameras as with new cameras, but they'll still work just fine.

The AF MIcroadjust capability of new cameras allows you to tune each camera to individual lenses, and so optimize sharp focus, but in most cases it's not a large adjustment. With an older camera, if you have a lens with significant front- or back-focus, you send it in for a checkup. With a new camera, you can often AFMA-away the problem.

Oct 29, 2014 at 06:46 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New Canon lenses used on older Canon bodies?

My most recent lens purchase was the 100L IS Macro; 12/13, and I use it on my EOS3 film body bought in 1999. It works fine on my 1DMk2N as well, in fact all my EF lenses work just fine.

As for the big white teles, I've no clue personally, but my 1DMk2N's previous owner may have used his MkII teles with it before it migrated to my bag

Oct 29, 2014 at 06:47 PM
SAshooter

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New Canon lenses used on older Canon bodies?

I've seen lots of advice here and other forums about "invest in glass first," so I guess I'll spend the extra bucks on a new 24-70mm mkII, since I don't already have the earlier version. I've been thinking about signing out some loaner copies of the 400mm and 70-200mm MKIIs from CPS, but I'm afraid of what that ultimately might do to my bank account and my marriage.

Oct 29, 2014 at 08:13 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New Canon lenses used on older Canon bodies?

Worst cast scenario -- you'll send the lens and camera body to Canon to get them dialed-in, perfectly matched, under warranty! Not bad.

I agree with the consensus forming: Better glass on a "decent" body. This was even more important in older film cameras, where you mainly needed a reliable shutter in a light-tight box.

I am also often surprised how good pictures look with older EF lenses on the best MP Canon bodies, or Sony a7R.

A few of my nice old finds: 50/2.5 Compact Macro, 135/2.8 Soft Focus and 35-105/3.5-4.5.

Congrats on your new 24-70/2.8L II.

Oct 29, 2014 at 08:47 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New Canon lenses used on older Canon bodies?

I will say that my original 24-70/2.8L does work very well with all bodies from early up to 1DX. There are a few things it does better than the new version, mostly at 70mm "macro" and bokeh. Otherwise, a good copy is nearly as good, but not quite, for fine detail.

I'm still keeping mine, even though I've seen how great the new version II is.

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:51 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New Canon lenses used on older Canon bodies?

Canon is not Nikon. So it means everything works on everything as intended. Of course EF-S won't work on FF cameras,but they were not intended to.

Oct 30, 2014 at 01:30 AM
SeverianTL
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New Canon lenses used on older Canon bodies?

SAshooter wrote:
... I've also heard somewhere that the old-style 24-70mm actually works better than the II version when used with older bodies.

I've never heard that, but Roger Cicala at Lens Rentals has reported that the newest lenses AF better and more consistently on the 5D3 and the 1DX than their older versions on those bodies and better than these same new lenses on old bodies.

Oct 30, 2014 at 06:54 AM

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New Canon lenses used on older Canon bodies?

Milan Hutera wrote:
Canon is not Nikon. So it means everything works on everything as intended. Of course EF-S won't work on FF cameras,but they were not intended to.

Some will. In any case, all it takes is an extension tube.
OTT: any Canon EF lens is supposed to work on any Canon EOS body. Ken Rockwell in his reviews sometimes states that a lens works on anything from the first EOS620 film camera up to 1D X (that guy's a hoarder of cosmic proportions, for sure ).

Oct 30, 2014 at 07:01 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New Canon lenses used on older Canon bodies?

Where the new model 24-70/2.8 really shines is in much better build quality for internal wear and tear (thanks for the tear-down, Roger!), lighter weight, and better AF -- not to mention improved IQ at almost all focal lengths. Definitely, it is now one of Canon's star lenses.

Oct 30, 2014 at 08:31 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.