New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · A7 Versus A7s Focusing Speed

pixeljohn
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A7 Versus A7s Focusing Speed

I have read various comments about the focusing speed of the A7s. Would someone who has owned/used both be able to comment? Assuming good light with the same lens on each.

Thanks!!!!

Oct 29, 2014 at 03:49 PM
millsart
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A7 Versus A7s Focusing Speed

They are pretty equal in speed in good light. A7 is no slouch in the AF dept, but the A7s seems a little more accurate. My A7 sometimes would just totally miss focus for some reason.

In lower light A7s is much better, quickly locks focus when the A7 would just hunt. Its good down to -4 EV instead of 0, so 1/16th the light.

Face Detect seems to work a little better on the S as well, about anywhere in the frame, and it can also use eye detect when the A7 would just give a face detect box.

Is it worth about double the cost ? That is a tough question though

Oct 29, 2014 at 04:58 PM
pixeljohn
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A7 Versus A7s Focusing Speed

Thanks for the reply. Your final question is a good one. Especially with the price drops on the A7.

Oct 29, 2014 at 05:01 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A7 Versus A7s Focusing Speed

I will add that in addition the improved high ISO ability, the silent shutter feature on the A7s is pretty nice. The A7 shutter isn't that loud really, and I think doesn't pose a true issue in 99% of shooting conditions, however, the ability to have a 100% silent camera (when you turn off AF beep) is pretty cool. Feels like your not even taking a shot (in part due to squishy A7 series shutter feel)

Fast motion, flash etc are limitations of electronic shutters, but, typically I'm not doing much flash work with the A7, nor shooting fast action.

It just makes for a super discrete shooting experience, especially if your shooting multiple frames. Camera will shoot a burst of shots and your subject likely isn't aware you've even taken a shot yet.

Again, worth the price difference ? Hard to say....

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:11 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A7 Versus A7s Focusing Speed

millsart wrote:
Fast motion, flash etc are limitations of electronic shutters, but, typically I'm not doing much flash work with the A7, nor shooting fast action.

A more restricting limitation of current electronic shutters is banding under artificial lighting at certain shutter speeds. This should improve in future designs as sensor readout speeds are improved.

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:50 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A7 Versus A7s Focusing Speed

snapsy wrote:
A more restricting limitation of current electronic shutters is banding under artificial lighting at certain shutter speeds. This should improve in future designs as sensor readout speeds are improved.

That is true, however, in actual use around the house, with a wide variety of incandescent, overhead florescent, and low wattage CFL bulbs, I've never really run into any issues.

Just like with any florescent bulb, you can have issues at certain shutter speeds if you seek them out, but they are also pretty easy to avoid.

Its not like an issue where you can't shoot anything with artificial light because of horrible banding. Global shutter would certainly be a welcome improvement, but I think a majority of A7s shooters aren't seeing issues in most shots with the current technology.

I don't know if the readout is any faster than the Panny GX7, but when specifically trying to induce rolling shutter effects, the A7s seems improved. Maybe a little faster line readout or something. Would stand to reason as it is a generation, if not two, newer than the GX7 sensor tech

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:57 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A7 Versus A7s Focusing Speed

millsart wrote:
That is true, however, in actual use around the house, with a wide variety of incandescent, overhead florescent, and low wattage CFL bulbs, I've never really run into any issues.

Just like with any florescent bulb, you can have issues at certain shutter speeds if you seek them out, but they are also pretty easy to avoid.

Its not like an issue where you can't shoot anything with artificial light because of horrible banding. Global shutter would certainly be a welcome improvement, but I think a majority of A7s shooters aren't seeing issues in most shots with the current technology.

I don't
...Show more

Agreed but there are lot more lighting situations where the electronic shutter will show banding vs the typical situations for focal-plane shutters. The A7s's readout speed has been measured at around 1/33 - the original Panasonic MFT sensors were slower at 1/10 but never versions may be a bit faster.

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:07 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.