New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 35L II Patent

kezeka
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 35L II Patent

Saw this on canonrumors this morning: http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/10/patent-canon-ef-35mm-f1-4l-ii/

Very cool. This is a lens I am excited about. I have wanted weather sealing on this lens since I bought it. Hopefully they can keep the phenomenal rendering style and speed up the AF to match some of the other mk II lenses. Otherwise, I am really content with my mk I.

Oct 29, 2014 at 10:27 AM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 35L II Patent

I would be hard pressed to replace my 35 F2 IS. The 35 IS is a killer lens.

Oct 29, 2014 at 10:37 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 35L II Patent

35L mk2 will get quite a few people wanting it (no doubt a 85L mk3 would also) but I can't help feeling that at the price they WILL charge for it that its a tad late to the party . the 35/1.4 ART on one side and the 35/2 IS on the other make it a hard option to sell

Oct 29, 2014 at 10:43 AM
Invertalon
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 35L II Patent

A 35L II is long awaited by me... I dig the existing model, but it for sure has room for improvement.

Oct 29, 2014 at 11:30 AM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 35L II Patent

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
35L mk2 will get quite a few people wanting it (no doubt a 85L mk3 would also) but I can't help feeling that at the price they WILL charge for it that its a tad late to the party . the 35/1.4 ART on one side and the 35/2 IS on the other make it a hard option to sell

The problem with the 35/2 IS is that the aperture is still a stop narrower at its widest, making it less useful for the low light photography that I have the 35L for. I need the extra stop of light not only to keep my shutter speed up but also to have enough light hitting the AF sensor for it to actually work.

The Sigma 35 has well established concerns regarding AF in these situations. I have friends who own them and have good luck, but I just don't want to deal with it. Further, I just don't like the way the Sigma renders - personal preference and such.

Regardless, it'll be pretty sweet to have an update to the highly regarded version 1. It is one of my most used lenses.

Oct 29, 2014 at 11:33 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 35L II Patent

Rendering and rock-solid AF performance remain an issue with the Art lenses. Canon's 'pro' prime lenses are generally geared more toward rendering than absolute sharpness or APO-like correction wide-open, and it shows in the results!

(the same thing can generally be said about Nikon as well)

Oct 29, 2014 at 03:41 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 35L II Patent

johnctharp wrote:
Rendering and rock-solid AF performance remain an issue with the Art lenses. Canon's 'pro' prime lenses are generally geared more toward rendering than absolute sharpness or APO-like correction wide-open, and it shows in the results!

(the same thing can generally be said about Nikon as well)

10/10 days I would rather have that nikon 58/1.4 G than the sharpest lens out there. It renders better than any 50mm-ish prime I have ever seen. Even the Zeiss otus. The new otus 85 looks like Zeiss figured out how to have the ultimate sharpness and retain its character though.

Oct 29, 2014 at 04:06 PM
coogee
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 35L II Patent

Hopefully this floods the s/h market with 35Ls well below the $1000 mark as it's a superb lens as is. I'll believe it when I see it/long-time rumour though.

Oct 29, 2014 at 04:30 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 35L II Patent

kezeka wrote:
10/10 days I would rather have that nikon 58/1.4 G than the sharpest lens out there. It renders better than any 50mm-ish prime I have ever seen. Even the Zeiss otus. The new otus 85 looks like Zeiss figured out how to have the ultimate sharpness and retain its character though.

Nikon really knocked that one out of the park- see what James Brook does with it over in the Nikon forum!

It's basically the 'perfect' standard lens; great character, color, and contrast wide-open, stupid sharp when stopped down (like the 50/1.4 USM), in a modern lightweight and relatively compact body. That's what I want from an updated 50/1.2L, too- along with some pepped up AF like what's in the 35L .

Oct 29, 2014 at 04:36 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.