New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · iPad Air 2 vs. iPad 3 Retina

skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · iPad Air 2 vs. iPad 3 Retina

The difference in weight is really quite considerable. The iPad3 almost feels like a laptop in comparison. The iPad Airs are much less wide, much thinner (and the thinness difference is much greater than you'd expect).

The new bonded screen type on the iPad Air 2 does have a much different look in that it doesn't look like it's under glass, but sort of like electronic paper that you are directly touching. The reflections are considerably cut down as well, as promised, while pretty much maintaining a rich, glossy contrast. It's really quite fantastic.

It really is astonishing the amount of power they pack into nearly just a sheet of paper! Computer tech is ever charging forward.

The only frustrating thing about the iPads is the 100% lock down of the file system and not really having 100% true USB ports. They badly need to give them a couple full on USB 3.0 capable ports and an option to use unlocked file storage if the user is willing to risk it and to get rid of the hideous sync iTunes systems. The rest of the design is fantastic. A few years back some insisted that you could do this and that with them and nothing was restricted, that simply is not true and that is why, despite being so awesomely designed otherwise, the iPads, have as I suggested, lost a lot of market share already. That said, ignoring those bits, they are fantastic pads and they were the first to bring the all important hidpi displays and now they are the first to bring the fully bonded displays and paper thin configuration despite bringing immense power. At least the USB port actually can function as a more true one in a few cases, such as using the camera connection kit on iPads actually allows one to hook up USB DACs and have them work just as if it was a fully featured USB port it seems. That is very big at least.

I don't like that Android tablets are based around Java programming and much prefer the C++-like version of C++ that Apple uses as the main iPad base language (although it is a shame they didn't just use C++ and had to go their own way, still, infinitely better than the Java mess of Android). The Windows tablets have the nicest programming of all due to true C and C++ and the Surface 3 Pro is the only truly full on do it all with full USB 3.0 and file system and so on, that does make some things much easier and can be a big boon to photographers and especially videographers. You can just plug in a mini high capacity WD Passport HD and transfer off of CF cards without having to drag along a laptop as well. If Apple could just offer full on USB 3.0 ports and at least an unlocked option for files.... then they'd really have it made, since their tablets, especially with the new pinnacle with the iPad Air 2 are pretty amazing.

Oct 28, 2014 at 05:21 PM
phototronix

[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · iPad Air 2 vs. iPad 3 Retina

For me the IPad Air 2 is the better of the two tablets.The hardware is fast, thin, and light, making it ideal for both one-handed reading and interactive content creation. It has a great, upgraded camera with useful video capabilities , not to mention Touch ID so you can keep your tablet secure without having to enter a PIN.

Feb 12, 2015 at 07:33 AM
jbregar
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · iPad Air 2 vs. iPad 3 Retina

If you want USB 3.0 ports, might I suggest a laptop? The idea behind the iPad is to get rid of a bunch of crap dangling off of the device.

I also haven't really used iTunes in years, but I use my iPad just fine. I use iCloud to move files back and forth to the device.

Feb 12, 2015 at 11:33 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.