Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Loading manuals onto iPad?

Jeff Nolten
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Loading manuals onto iPad?

Sharona wrote:
So - if I use both cards, I can actually set the 5D3 to capture only jpegs on the SD and raws on the CF?

Yes, you set what goes to each card separately. Its a two step process to set this. First go to the "Record Function + Card/Folder Sel" function which is top of the first menu list under the wrench symbol. Select Record Separately. I keep this menu item in My menu so I can quickly turn it off, but removing the card works too.

Second, go to the "Image Quality" function which is top of the first menu list under the camera symbol. Select the image quality you want to go to each card. I have raws go to the CF card and S1 go to the SD card. S1 is plenty big enough to preview on the iPad.

With record separately you can't also record raw + jpeg to the same card. And I don't know how adversely this recoding method affects write speed and buffer clearing when doing multi-shot.

One other down-side to using the iPad this way is that by the time I get all the raws processed in Lightroom, family and friends have all seen the iPad versions and don't want to see them again. Even if they are "better". OTOH, they don't bug you with "where are the pictures" while you're working up the raws.

Oct 29, 2014 at 03:22 PM
Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Loading manuals onto iPad?

Thank you Jeff! Very helpful. I never shoot Jpeg anymore, so I will try this when I know I won't need big bursts. So - when/if I yank the SD card I don' have to change any settings, correct?

Thanks once more to all of you! What a great group!

Oct 29, 2014 at 03:36 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Loading manuals onto iPad?

You can apply to the TSA Preapproved program and avoid the shoe removal, most long lines, etc. I haven't endured those things for the past year. Some airline premier clubs allow a similar status.

OntheRez wrote:
I'll likely get in trouble for the following as it isn't strictly a Canon gear thing, but if you've got Canon then it applies to you. While standing in line for the pre-boarding "shakedown" I've often wondered where TSA suddenly found this army of people to do all this screening. There are certainly plenty of polite, competent people just doing their job, but the "I'm a tiny bureaucrat with a stop sign" mentality makes many otherwise unremarkable people act in truly officious ways.

I mean some dummy tried to put a bomb in his shoe so now we all take
...Show more

Oct 29, 2014 at 04:28 PM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Loading manuals onto iPad?

TSA PreCheck is not available at all airports, and even in airports where it is available, the by pass line is not staffed at all times. And while they don't ask you to take off shows, some airports still ask to remove Electronic Devices. There is a great deal of variance from airport to airport as far as security screening is concerned, from my limited experience.

And for international destinations, TSA PreCheck means absolutely nothing on the return trip home.

Oct 29, 2014 at 04:41 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Loading manuals onto iPad?

Sharona wrote:
So - when/if I yank the SD card I don' have to change any settings, correct?

I just tried it to make sure. With raw -> CF and S1 -> SD you can either turn off the camera and pull the SD card or use the Record Function to switch between record separately and record standard (which seems to ignore the SD card). Reinstalling the SD card or switching back to record separately remembers that S1 goes to the SD card.

And I discovered that the Q button shows the status of the Record Function and allows you to change the setting from there. This might actually be the fastest. I'll have to try to remember to try it next vacation. We're leaving for Tahiti in just over two weeks. Not a lot of wildlife but there are fairy terns and boobies out on Tikehau atoll so I'll be taking my 100-400 and 1.4x.

Do enjoy your trip! I want to get back Kenya and Tanzania with my digital gear one of these years soon.

Oct 29, 2014 at 06:08 PM
newseum
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Loading manuals onto iPad?

irish-george wrote:
I found out the hard way: do NOT load them into iBooks first if you want them anyplace else or backed up in case of buying a new device or iOS upgrade. Save them to Dropbox or the Adobe Reader first, THEN when you open them from those apps an option is to open in iBooks, saving it there as well. If you put it in iBooks first and it is a free pdf, the only way I've found to back them up or move them is by emailing them to yourself one-by-one. Lot's of Mac users say you can
...Show more

Yep. Take this advise. I learned the hard way. Just saving PDFs from the web into iBooks is not the correct way. I lost all mine when updating iOS on my iPad a while back. I now use Adobe reader app.

Oct 29, 2014 at 09:17 PM
MDelinquento
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Loading manuals onto iPad?

I've been putting user manuals on my iPads & iPhone for the last three years. Extremely convenient. I echo having them in the cloud for reference from most anywhere. I also recommend using either or both the Goodreader app as well as a free one called Documents. They both are file managers for pdf files and other file types too. Both let you directly access your cloud-based files.

While they both have built in Web browsers, Documents makes it very easy and fast to convert Web pages to pdf format for off-line reading. That's valuable to me. OTOH, Goodreader, which costs a few bucks, makes it very easy to annotate pdfs which I use often. I mark up the user guides with my own notes and tips. Documents does this too for an extra fee.

Enjoy your trip..

M

Oct 29, 2014 at 09:47 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Loading manuals onto iPad?

Sharona wrote:
Thank you Jeff! Very helpful. I never shoot Jpeg anymore, so I will try this when I know I won't need big bursts. So - when/if I yank the SD card I don' have to change any settings, correct?

Thanks once more to all of you! What a great group!

Sharona:

the drawback to shooting RAW+Jpeg is your 5D3 buffers out at 7 frames .
the 2 formats to separate cards was a big draw for me as I used to use my iPad in that way quite a lot but I've pretty much given up now . certainly I don't do it if I'm shooting large fast bursts .

and when setup to shoot different cards : if you yank the SD card and CLOSE the door (so there is no card in the SD slot) the camera will shoot JUST the raw file to the CF card until you put an SD back in (when it goes back to shooting RAW+Jpeg).
thats the way it SHOULD work but I will swear that sometimes i have to select Jpegs to the SD card again .

Oct 30, 2014 at 02:13 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Loading manuals onto iPad?

Customs will absolutely NOT be a problem.

No place you travel to is going to think for one minute that your personal iPad is being brought on your trip so that you can sell it for a profit. It's just not going to happen. People travel with thousands of dollars of computers, lenses, cameras, etc... and short of carrying multiple boxed copies... foreign countries don't suspect travelers with personal copies are traffickers avoiding import taxes, VAT, customs.

Returning home (as an American) also won't be a problem for the above reason. But also because America, barring a few uncommon examples, generally has some of the lowest prices on this kind of gear. (The situation is quite different in the EU, particularly Germany, and particularly with Apple products... given Euro vs. USD and pricing, it's almost always 30-40% cheaper to buy the same product in the U.S. than in Germany, and when there's a keyboard it will be obvious that it's not a stock German product... so they are always looking for Apple products going into the country-- if being carried by a resident, not a tourist).

Oct 30, 2014 at 07:21 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Loading manuals onto iPad?

I have mine loaded OM my iPhone and iPad in middle so that they are backedup.

Oct 30, 2014 at 07:50 AM
Sharona
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Loading manuals onto iPad?

THanks again everyone! Off to the airport in a couple hours. Fingers crossed my bags don't exceed any weight limits!

Oct 30, 2014 at 07:53 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Loading manuals onto iPad?

Bon Voyage! Sounds like a great trip.

Oct 30, 2014 at 08:17 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Loading manuals onto iPad?

Ok, I don't think you got the point with Goodreader.

So here are some slides below that I took off my iPad.

Goodreader works just like a filing cabinet, or for people like me that are more IBM literate, like a folder in your documents folder on your hard drive. The difference is you don't have to right click, the menu on what you can do to a file is on the right side of a screen. Move, rename, send,etc....all right there.

I only take my iPad anymore on trips all over the world for work and for fun. I also take CamRanger which allows me to transfer any of my photos from my cameras (Canon 7d, 5d II, 1Dx, 5d III) to the iPad. It also serves as a remote trigger device when my wife and I want to get a photo of ourselves....just easier than asking someone to do it.

The Goodreader will take any PDF and store it and easily retrieve it for you. When I do updates the data updates and when I get a new device it will load it on the new device as well. I don't see any down side to Goodreader.

Here are some screen prints.....take a manual with you when you have your iPad doesn't make any sense.....

The Goodreader app on my iPad

Some of the files on my iPad Goodreader

Clicked into the 1Dx folder and you will see other files that you can't get a hard copy short of printing them

Here is what you will first see when you open a file, notice all the commands you can do, including search

Notice that the table of contents is hot linked to where you might want to go.....

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:52 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Loading manuals onto iPad?

And it is easy to go through...touch the screen and make the menus disappear and you just flip pages....

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:57 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Loading manuals onto iPad?

By the way, I have the 128GB IPad because I keep more than 8,000 photos on my device. I have about 5,000 in the photo section and then I have photo albums where I store photos and can easily look at them. Everything backs up to my computer and it too downloads to new device.

I use iAlbum Pro from the App Store, cost a few bucks but I have 42 albums of photos. When you get to page 999 you are out of pages in that album and have to make a part two album. I have done that once. My grandson has an album that I constantly pick off photos from my daughters facebook page and store them in the album. To date I have 770 pages of photos, many with multiple photos per page that go back to when he first showed up on earth to present day and he just turned 4.

You can also link videos to the album, but unlike photos that I can delete elsewhere on my iPad and the photos stay in the albums, if you delete a video from some other location on the iPad the video will be gone from your album. That is the only drawback. Also if you double click a photo in the album, it assumes you want to email it to someone and up comes the photo embedded in an email ready to be addressed and sent......

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:08 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.