Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Replacing my 1Ds II with the 6D???

Rich Swanner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Replacing my 1Ds II with the 6D???

I want something similar, is this the answer? I like the weight difference and one action, better screen etc. How is the quality though? Thanks Rich

Oct 28, 2014 at 03:51 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Replacing my 1Ds II with the 6D???

If not the 1Dx better go with the 5D3...
(if the budget and/or wife allow it)

Oct 28, 2014 at 03:53 PM
Rich Swanner
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Replacing my 1Ds II with the 6D???

What's wrong with the 6d?

Oct 28, 2014 at 03:56 PM
tonytastic
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Replacing my 1Ds II with the 6D???

If you don't need the extra weather sealing and AF, the 6D should be sufficient.

If you are looking for a smaller form but still good AF, the 5D3 is a better choice.

If you still want the same sort of weather sealing, you should stick with the 1d-series (1DIV or so)

Oct 28, 2014 at 03:58 PM
Rich Swanner
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Replacing my 1Ds II with the 6D???

Is the AF that bad?

Oct 28, 2014 at 04:01 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Replacing my 1Ds II with the 6D???

The controls on the 1DsII are very different from those on the 6D, and so they're not 'similar' on that basis. OTOH, the image quality on the 6D is excellent.

I haven't used the 1DsII, but I have used the 1DII, 1DIII, and 1DsIII, and I currently use the 1DIV, and 1DX. I also use a pair of 6D (previously 5D and 5DII). The IQ on the 6D is second to none (in the Canon stable), and so I'm sure you won't be disappointed with that; unless you're shooting action photography in challenging conditions, where you need 1D-series AF capabilities. Also, the 6D doesn't have 1D-series class weather sealing, but it's a well-constructed camera that works great for me, and I don't 'baby' my gears.

There's nothing 'wrong' with AF on the 6D, as long as you're good with using the centre AF point. The 6D centre AF point on the 6D is the most sensitive in low light currently offered by Canon. I get consistently accurate AF in both One Shot and AI Servo from the 6D (centre point) in most conditions (bright and low light). OTOH, if you want to do BIF or sports, then the 6D isn't the best solution for AF or for fps.

Oct 28, 2014 at 04:06 PM
Rich Swanner
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Replacing my 1Ds II with the 6D???

I take a lot of BIF shots and would like it for sports too. I live in good weather land so sealing is not a problem. I would also like using faster cards and the full frame without the weight. Image quality is important as I end up enlarging a lot with BIF...

Oct 28, 2014 at 04:12 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Replacing my 1Ds II with the 6D???

Maybe you should wait for feedback on the new 7DII, from FM members who are itching to get one in the next few days.

Oct 28, 2014 at 04:14 PM
Rich Swanner
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Replacing my 1Ds II with the 6D???

I like full frame although it does not give me the mag that the APS does. I like full frame as I do take a lot of landscape and my 17-40 is really wide with it.

Oct 28, 2014 at 04:25 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Replacing my 1Ds II with the 6D???

Rich Swanner wrote:
What's wrong with the 6d?

Whats wrong with 1Ds MK2?

Otherwise, its downgrade to 6D.

Oct 28, 2014 at 04:28 PM
kabraxcis
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Replacing my 1Ds II with the 6D???

Well you already have a full frame,
I suggest you keep the 1ds2 and add a 7d2. Much cheaper than a 5d3 (better AF/reach/etcetc for birding as well), eliminates excessive spending by keeping a FF body for largely-iso free landscapes.

Oct 28, 2014 at 04:29 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Replacing my 1Ds II with the 6D???

6D has the best IQ in Canon land next to the 1DX. It's center point is better than anything on the 5D3 and will focus better in lower light. For AF tracking, however, it's not the best. Due to the limited array of points. For a landscape cam or where you can use center point only, the 6D is a fantastic camera.

Oct 28, 2014 at 04:32 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Replacing my 1Ds II with the 6D???

Rich Swanner wrote:
I take a lot of BIF shots and would like it for sports too. I live in good weather land so sealing is not a problem. I would also like using faster cards and the full frame without the weight. Image quality is important as I end up enlarging a lot with BIF...

Based on this, I suspect you will be disappointed with a 6D- that camera only has a small handful of AF points.

Completely different AF points and lots of other stuff from a 1D camera body, even a 1DsII. No CF cards, either.

You may want to rent a 6D and try it.

Oct 28, 2014 at 04:34 PM
Rich Swanner
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Replacing my 1Ds II with the 6D???

You may want to rent a 6D and try it.
maybe?

Oct 28, 2014 at 04:56 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Replacing my 1Ds II with the 6D???

Why not rent one?

Your 1DsII is not comparable to the 6D on many levels, and the 6D will best your 1DsII on others.

I would call them complimentary before suggesting that the 6D could replace your 1DsII.

Even juggling the user interfaces will be challenging- but not impossible.

And no, there is no comparison between the LCD screens. Even 1DIV to 1DX LCD screen is night and day.

Oct 28, 2014 at 05:11 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Replacing my 1Ds II with the 6D???

Rich Swanner wrote:
I want something similar, is this the answer? I like the weight difference and one action, better screen etc. How is the quality though? Thanks Rich

1Ds2 has its own unique colors IQ and it is not easy to be replaced by any other canon bodies.

Oct 28, 2014 at 05:47 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Replacing my 1Ds II with the 6D???

Wait until later this week (after photoplus) to make a choice regardless. Just in case Canon releases a new camera.

Like others have said, the sensor on the 6D is going to blow you away compared to your current 1DsII. That said, it isn't as well built and absolutely cannot take the beating that a 1D series camera can. Shutter lag is about the same but viewfinder blackout times are much longer than your 1D. The center AF point on a 6D is going to be more sensitive than any on your current camera but you will not have reliable AF points besides that one (in my experience).

With a change as big as this, I would suggest you rent one before buying. Or at least go to a store and snap a few photos with one there.

Oct 28, 2014 at 05:51 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Replacing my 1Ds II with the 6D???

I have both the 1DsII and a 6D, and I use both.

It's been raining a lot lately - hard driving rain - and I have no qualms taking my 1DsII with me. There is no way I would take my 6D outside in this weather, without some serious protection. For this reason alone, I can't imagine I'll ever get rid of the 1DsII.

But weather resistance is only one of a dozen reasons I might take the 1DsII instead of the 6D.

And except for weather resistance, there are a dozen reasons I might choose to take a 6D with me over the 1DsII.

But for me, the 6D is not a replacement for my 1DsII. It's simply a complement.

Oct 28, 2014 at 07:43 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Replacing my 1Ds II with the 6D???

Mescalamba wrote:
Whats wrong with 1Ds MK2?

Otherwise, its downgrade to 6D.

IYO. Depends on the photographer's individual needs. And the 6D can be used for action:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1326029/0?keyword=6d#12650056

Oct 28, 2014 at 08:07 PM
Jon Joshua
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Replacing my 1Ds II with the 6D???

Unless you need the rugged body, the 6D is going to be better than the 1Ds2 most of the time.

If you had a 1Ds3, then it would be a bit tougher choice.

Get the 6D and trade the 1Ds2 for a 1D3.

Oct 29, 2014 at 09:37 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.