Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · A couple of U12 Girls Soccer

rachelsdad
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A couple of U12 Girls Soccer

I have not posted much lately, been a little busy at work. Feel free to criticize and comment, I think I have done better than last year, but I have a long way to go.

Oct 28, 2014 at 03:03 PM
PennsyBill
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A couple of U12 Girls Soccer

I think you would get better results if you shot/framed a little looser allowing yourself some space to crop for better composition - and to avoid cutting off limbs when possible.

Oct 28, 2014 at 07:55 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A couple of U12 Girls Soccer

Steven: It's a long road! But you've got the right idea by posting more of your work and seeking feedback. In terms of color and exposure, these look very good. Composition is where I think each of these images falls short. With the first image, it's a pretty interesting action moment, but it also is true that for one of the players, we see only her hair, her butt and the bottom of one of her shoes. That makes for an awkward shot. Not horrible, but not great. Your second shot seems to have captured an 'in-between' moment in that there may have been peak action prior to this moment and there may be peak action following this moment, but here we have a lull, along with the back of the closest player. Your third image might be the strongest, but would be improved by going with a horizontal crop and including all of the ball. Even so, once again we have an off-peak moment, and it's the peak action that often is most interesting to see.

I wouldn't be surprised if you have better examples of peak action in the full take from this event. One of the things we all have to learn is how to find our best shots, and it's not an easy thing to do until you have a good idea of how 'outsiders' view your images. Keep posting! You've got a lot to work with here.

Oct 28, 2014 at 08:06 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A couple of U12 Girls Soccer

+1 What Russ said

The more you shoot soccer the better it gets. Becoming familiar with how the game flows will help in positioning the lens for peak action. A couple of additional comments:
1 - A lot of negative space top and bottom, I would suggest a tighter re-crop using 5x7. Try to avoid partial chopped body parts when possible. Why -0.3 EV?
2 - Appears to be shot from a side line which can provide good captures but comes with the added difficulty of traffic getting in the way of a clear shot. Action here is quite mild, little engagement. You might want to consider taking a position on the end line half way between the flag and goal. This puts the action coming at you with faces and ball.
3 - Half a ball - doesn't work for me. The frame before might have been better?

All three are using -0.3 EV (not much detail in dark uni's) and the shutter speed of the last two is getting a bit low. Unless shooting a night game I would suggest keeping the SS at 1/1000 or higher. Stay low, with either your butt or knees on the ground and position yourself so the action is coming at you.

Keep shooting, it does get better!
We are here to help.

Matt

Oct 29, 2014 at 08:38 AM
rachelsdad
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A couple of U12 Girls Soccer

Thanks, yeah I was on the side, will do the end next time the problem was a Premier team was using that area for practice. As for shutter, yeah I totally missed that it had gotten that low, I like shooting at 1/1500 or better. The ev was because this body seems to want to over expose a bit. I appreciate the feedback this is my first season shooting a prime and it is taking a bit to get used to that. Steven

Oct 29, 2014 at 09:57 AM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A couple of U12 Girls Soccer

Steven,
Part of critique would include your intentions. ( I say this as a dad who shoots to please the players and other parents at my kids games, and sell a few photos along the way. In other words an avid hobbyist and non pro). I have learned so much from the helpful pros here on the 'corner with critique of my own as well as others posted photos.

Coming back to intentions... Not all, but some critique you'll get is from the perspective of photo journalism, peak action especially between players. While I agree that from a strangers perspective they are right from an "interest" perspective, I say that if you are shooting to sell or strictly please the individual player or parent, there can be exceptions. Most player parents prefer shots that minimize other players in the frame or at least keep them more anonymous. For this reason I could see image 1 and 2 being of interest to those families (but with much tighter crops and maybe better background in both without the extra inactive player.). Also Don't be afraid to use custom crops to post here to strengthen the images.

Keep posting.
-guy

Nov 02, 2014 at 11:05 PM
rachelsdad
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A couple of U12 Girls Soccer

I appreciate the help, yes I was shooting for the players and their parents. My goal is to improve my skills and the quality of the product and while I will never be in Paul's league, I hope that what I learn will move me forward. I freely admit that my composition skills are lacking, I hope to work on those now that I am getting better at actually making the shots.

Nov 02, 2014 at 11:29 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A couple of U12 Girls Soccer

nice set, I agree with increasing the shutter speeds

Nov 03, 2014 at 03:05 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.