Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · What File Size to Deliver?

jonnyt5050
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What File Size to Deliver?

Hello everyone,

I am generally a landscape/kids sports photographer (avid hobbyist). I've done various searches on this and my web searching skills must be lacking because I can't find a helpful answer.

This past summer, I shot a wedding for my niece. I have delivered semi-small .jpg files via photo sharing website. These files are fine for web sharing, etc. But my wife has pointed out that they will want to print some of these photos (no idea which ones, nor do I care) so they should have larger file sizes to print at their leisure.

I agree. So I plan to save to a USB memory stick and mail to the happy couple.

But what size? I shot with 24 megapixel Nikon D610 in raw. I am of notion that I should deliver .jpg files. But if I save at 100%, this would be 20 meg files for each photo (@550 photos). I can do that but just seems like that file size would be more of a pain in arse for most of their uses.

Maybe give two folders... one with full size and one with file sizes in the 3-4 mpg range?

Other info: I edit and export via Lightroom 5.

I'm hoping someone here can help me out as you're dealing with this on a daily/weekly basis.

Thanks in advance. Let me know if I've left out any important details.

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:37 PM
kabraxcis
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What File Size to Deliver?

I'm a hobbyist too, but it really doesn't sound like something to worry about. 32gb memory sticks are dirt cheap these days, and since it doesn't sound like you are dealing with the most frustrating of clients, I'd just mail copies of full-res JPEGS and half-res JPEGS just to be safe. Honestly if you already shared the whole folder and just need to get them some full res JPEGS for print-able files, the full-res files should be enough but there's little point in skimping a simple step and potentially having to mail ANOTHER ANNOYING USB STICK

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:44 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What File Size to Deliver?

24MP photos could be 20 MB in uncompressed JPEGs, but some (many) will be smaller. Mine tend to be 8-12MB. I use standard sized DVDs to deliver my finished images for most weddings, occasionally 2 discs. I back up RAW and Lightroom catalog files of deliverable images on blue ray discs, stored off site. You could use a flash drive, but DVDs are durable, cheap, and mail easily.

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:00 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What File Size to Deliver?

This is a good excuse to share this link: http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/jpeg-quality

That page demonstrates the difference in JPEG output at different quality settings in Lightroom. Going to a lower resolution is one option, but combining that (or not) with a lower quality JPEG is a great way to get your file sizes down. I personally deliver full resolution JPEGs at 62 quality to my wedding clients, but it occurs to me that resizing to around 4000 pixels on the long side would be plenty as well.

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:07 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What File Size to Deliver?

part timer here, but i deliver 8x12 print prepped files (300dpi)

online delivery due to silly CA sales tax rules

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:17 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What File Size to Deliver?

SloPhoto wrote:
part timer here, but i deliver 8x12 print prepped files (300dpi)

online delivery due to silly CA sales tax rules

/sidebar
Might want to check on this--from what I understand if you offer the print rights or offer print for sale at all as a product you're subject to sales tax (according to my accountant at least).

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:31 PM
jonnyt5050
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What File Size to Deliver?

Myam203, great link!

Very helpful on Lightroom quality settings. (Helps explain my sky gradient probs in other photos on occasion too)

Thanks all for the input. Sounds like a full res and lower res export onto usb drive will work well in this situation.

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:36 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What File Size to Deliver?

dhp_sf wrote:
/sidebar
Might want to check on this--from what I understand if you offer the print rights or offer print for sale at all as a product you're subject to sales tax (according to my accountant at least).

this flow chart maps out with what i have been able to understand.

could be wrong

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:40 PM
StevenMI
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What File Size to Deliver?

It sounds like you have the info you need, but I do two copies of everything. A full resolution 85-90ish quality and a 1000 long edge same quality with watermark in the bottom corner. For printing version and a "for web and sharing" version.

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:43 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What File Size to Deliver?

SloPhoto wrote:
this flow chart maps out with what i have been able to understand.

could be wrong

Yeah--it says in the bottom left that the guy who created it is not a CPA nor a Tax Attorney. I'd take it worth a grain of salt, personally. I'd look into a legit tax advisor if you're looking to get into bigger sales in the future. My 2¢

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:51 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What File Size to Deliver?

I deliver two folders, one labled print with 3000px on the longest side and another labled web with 800px on the longest side. I got asked once by a "photographer" client why 3000px. I said it gives me room to crop if necessary, and all images end up being a uniform size because I once had someone ask me why one image was smaller than another and this was the difference between 5000px and like 3800px. And 3000px still prints a high quality 8x10 if they want to do it on their own.

Oct 28, 2014 at 06:41 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What File Size to Deliver?

dhp_sf wrote:
Yeah--it says in the bottom left that the guy who created it is not a CPA nor a Tax Attorney. I'd take it worth a grain of salt, personally. I'd look into a legit tax advisor if you're looking to get into bigger sales in the future. My 2¢

I spoke directly with the BOE a while back. According to the BOE, it's all about delivery and what you sell. Digital delivery, per the BOE representatives (3 of them) that I spoke to, is not subject to sales tax. Albums, digital files delivered via thumbdrive (even if the client brings you a thumb drive, you load it up with images, and you hand it over to them), etc., are subject to sales tax. If any physical products (albums, thumb drives, prints purchased from you directly, canvases, etc.) change hands, then sales tax is applicable both to the products, and the service.

The confusing part comes into play when you say, "Okay. I shot their wedding. Didn't charge sales tax. I delivered digital files via dropbox, download, etc. Didn't charge sales tax. But now they want an album. So I need to charge sales tax on that, but according to the State, I have to go BACK and charge sales tax on the service I provided, now!"

So, how do I get around this?

I DO NOT charge sales tax on stand alone engagement or family sessions. I deliver digitally. I do not offer albums with these. Problem solved. No physical product ever changes hands.

I ALWAYS charge sales tax on wedding photography, even if they have booked a package where nothing is included. I know that they will buy an album, or digital files, at a later date. That's a 100% certainty over the last 5 years of business. So I charge it up front, and that way when they buy something physical later down the road, it is applicable.

I DO NOT pay sales tax on the income I collect from SmugMug. The only way I sell prints is through an online gallery. I do not order prints on behalf of my clients and mark them up later. Any prints I sell (which isn't much) all go through the online gallery. According to the BOE, this is an acceptable method because technically SmugMug is collecting the income, and charging California Sales Tax. They are simply passing along the remaining income (after sales tax, and their fees) to me as profit.

There is some sort of use rights, or leasing, or something, where sales tax would be applicable even on delivery of the digital files, and I can't recall what it is, but I do recall thinking, "I cannot ever see how this would be applicable to wedding photography or what I do."

I went back and forth a lot with the BOE on this, and this was what I was told. This was my understanding of the situation. And this is what I've been doing for 3 years.

I'm not a lawyer, but have worked in the legal field for 15 years. Based upon the documents the State of California BOE provide regarding sales tax and photography, and my discussions with the BOE, all of the above made perfect sense to me.

Oct 28, 2014 at 10:59 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What File Size to Deliver?

Prettym1k3 wrote:
I spoke directly with the BOE a while back. According to the BOE, it's all about delivery and what you sell. Digital delivery, per the BOE representatives (3 of them) that I spoke to, is not subject to sales tax. Albums, digital files delivered via thumbdrive (even if the client brings you a thumb drive, you load it up with images, and you hand it over to them), etc., are subject to sales tax. If any physical products (albums, thumb drives, prints purchased from you directly, canvases, etc.) change hands, then sales tax is applicable both to the products, and

The confusing part comes into play when you say, "Okay. I shot their wedding. Didn't charge sales tax. I delivered digital files via dropbox, download, etc. Didn't charge sales tax. But now they want an album. So I need to charge sales tax on that, but according to the State, I have to go BACK and charge sales tax on the service I provided, now!"

So, how do I get around this?

I DO NOT charge sales tax on stand alone engagement or family sessions. I deliver digitally. I do not offer albums with these. Problem solved. No physical product ever changes hands.

I ALWAYS charge sales tax on wedding photography, even if they have booked a package where nothing is included. I know that they will buy an album, or digital files, at a later date. That's a 100% certainty over the last 5 years of business. So I charge it up front, and that way when they buy something physical later down the road, it is applicable.

I DO NOT pay sales tax on the income I collect from SmugMug. The only way I sell prints is through an online gallery. I do not order prints on behalf of my clients and mark them up later. Any prints I sell (which isn't much) all go through the online gallery. According to the BOE, this is an acceptable method because technically SmugMug is collecting the income, and charging California Sales Tax. They are simply passing along the remaining income (after sales tax, and their fees) to me as profit.

There is some sort of use rights, or leasing, or something, where sales tax would be applicable even on delivery of the digital files, and I can't recall what it is, but I do recall thinking, "I cannot ever see how this would be applicable to wedding photography or what I do."

I went back and forth a lot with the BOE on this, and this was what I was told. This was my understanding of the situation. And this is what I've been doing for 3 years.

I'm not a lawyer, but have worked in the legal field for 15 years. Based upon the documents the State of California BOE provide regarding sales tax and photography, and my discussions with the BOE, all of the above made perfect sense to me.
...Show more

I am glad you did that, I tried but it was insanely difficult to talk to anyone there who knew which way was up.

I did talk to my accountant last year, and while she was not 100% certain on digital delivery, she was fairly certain that a separate later transaction would NOT cause retroactive sales tax. Not sure if she is correct, but I think she would go to bat for me if I was ever hounded for it.

Why do you think a sale through smugmug is different than self fulfilment? They are still ordering a product based on that service.

Oct 31, 2014 at 10:59 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.