New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Casting portrait

SargentRay
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Casting portrait

A shot i did last December but which i decided to re do in an effort to maintain the best gradient quality possible. An aspect of my PP i've been struggling with for some time now. Many so called solutions on internet but nobody could explain clearly why this happens. I keep my workflow in 16 bits from start to finish, i shoot RAW 14 bits files but i still get banding, sometimes apparent right from Lr4 import other times later in the process when i start pushing it...

Oct 27, 2014 at 09:24 PM
tonyfield
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Casting portrait

Love the shot.

I find there are problems with gradients and feathered curve masks. Often (but not always) I get a banding effect. This seems to depend upon the maximum darkness of the gradient - but I am not really sure (memory fails on the details). I have tried blurring (with gaussian or field blur) the gradient but that only rarely works. I notice, with the eyedropper, the B&W values for RGB are not identical -- sometimes as much as 1 or 2 units different.

As far as I am concerned, this is an "implementation feature" in Photoshop.

Oct 27, 2014 at 09:32 PM
SargentRay
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Casting portrait

tonyfield wrote:
Love the shot.

I find there are problems with gradients and feathered curve masks. Often (but not always) I get a banding effect. This seems to depend upon the maximum darkness of the gradient - but I am not really sure (memory fails on the details). I have tried blurring (with gaussian or field blur) the gradient but that only rarely works. I notice, with the eyedropper, the B&W values for RGB are not identical -- sometimes as much as 1 or 2 units different.

As far as I am concerned, this is an "implementation feature" in Photoshop.

Thanks Tony, yup gradient quality seems indeed related to variable degrees of low exposure (of course here Flickr compression just kills all of my work but i got it pretty much perfect after a few hours on it.

I too worked with Gaussian and/or surface blur and not only does it not work often but it just makes things worse. But i read and tested noise addition (very light grain at 0.01%) and also the use of a splatter filter in the filter gallery and they both work to an extent depending on the shot and seriousness of the problem. Understanding gradient is a chapter in itself if you ask me :-)

Thanks for dropping by my friend :-)

Oct 27, 2014 at 09:41 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.