FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · How do you say no?

Brian Virts
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How do you say no?

So, when you book up and raise your prices, and then there is more business coming at you then you could possibly take or work you just don't want. Do you have a blanket referral statement? How and who do you refer to? I just can't help and educate everyone. Where do you draw the line at being nice? Any advise appreciated!

Oct 27, 2014 at 07:32 PM
GeoLaing
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How do you say no?

I've developed relationships with a number of other photographers whose work I enjoy. I make referrals to them without reservation as they do for me. Having such a network also helps when a few more bookings wouldn't hurt.

If I'm booked (or otherwise not available) I thank them for their interest. It takes little time to email them some phone numbers and email addresses. If it makes their search a little easier then you've earned some good will. I never draw the line at being nice.

Oct 27, 2014 at 07:39 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How do you say no?

^^ Samesy

Oct 27, 2014 at 07:43 PM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How do you say no?

Local photographers or same market?

I have to admit I'm not the best one to network, it's my personality. I'm very introverted, folks that know me personally love me, people that don't are generally indifferent about me. Where should I be looking for colleagues? I would love to be a part of some referral network. I just don't have any concept about starting it, other than the DC Facebook group page, which I don't really like to do.

Oct 27, 2014 at 07:58 PM
StevenMI
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How do you say no?

Brian I was in the same situation as you. I had a ton of referral business but didn't know any other photographers to refer to. I asked a more social photographer in my city if there were any local Facebook groups that he was a part of that were pretty active and he invited me to one that had 40-50 photographers in it. They had a meeting/social event so I went to that and have gotten to know a few now and have become a part of a few other groups. I still haven't completely figured out the referral situation but I feel like i'm making progress towards it, haha.

Hope that helps some! Get out there and meet other photographers. I seriously went through the first 4 years of business only barely knowing 1 other photographer in my area. It really is nice to get to know others though for a lot of different reasons.

For a while I was just referring them to other photographers in my area that I liked, even though I had never met them. Eventually those photographers might start to hear that you are referring them and will hopefully reach out to thank you.

Oct 27, 2014 at 08:44 PM
JakAHearts
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How do you say no?

I'd just refer them to me, Brian.

Oct 27, 2014 at 09:04 PM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How do you say no?

hey brian, you're somewhat local to DC right? let's meet up! we network with everyone here.. the best photographers and the ones starting out. many become good friends. i can shoot you a PM for a networking event just this week.

regarding your question, we send off a lot of inquires to 5 or so friends who just happen to be badass photographers, and we're always happy to add more people to the list. it works both ways.

Oct 27, 2014 at 09:10 PM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How do you say no?

StevenMI wrote:
Brian I was in the same situation as you. I had a ton of referral business but didn't know any other photographers to refer to. I asked a more social photographer in my city if there were any local Facebook groups that he was a part of that were pretty active and he invited me to one that had 40-50 photographers in it. They had a meeting/social event so I went to that and have gotten to know a few now and have become a part of a few other groups. I still haven't completely figured out the referral situation
...Show more

My local business is really all I want, and I know everybody here, and they certainly know me. I just don't even refer them anymore because nobody has wanted to start that relation, I've even tried. Everyone is cool, just not wanting to go there, and I understand. Frederick is growing rapidly and is a really hot market right now. The venues here are my favorite anywhere, hell, I prefer backyard weddings. I'm starting to throw stupid money at Northern Virginia and Baltimore (I completely ignore DC at this point), and they still want to book me. Jeff, you can have my DC inquiries, I'll just forward them to you. I haven't shot there in a couple years so I don't get too much interest.

Oct 27, 2014 at 09:47 PM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How do you say no?

Right now I'm saying to clients "These photographers are interested in shooting your wedding, I'm not endorsing them, just passing along their names". I want to say this person is great, I love their work, their business, we've spun vinyl or whatever. Something solid, I need to redirect solidly and know they will be taken care of.

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:05 PM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How do you say no?

I'll trade Baltimore for Frederick leads. Anyone?

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:26 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How do you say no?

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying, "Thanks for contacting me! Unfortunately, I'm all booked up at this point, but I would recommend contacting these photographers as well. I haven't worked with them personally, but if I were getting married, this is where I'd start."

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:00 PM
LivLif
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How do you say no?

Send some my way. I would love to have them!

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:09 AM
JakAHearts
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How do you say no?

myam203 wrote:
I don't think there's anything wrong with saying, "Thanks for contacting me! Unfortunately, I'm all booked up at this point, but I would recommend contacting these photographers as well. I haven't worked with them personally, but if I were getting married, this is where I'd start."

This is what I do. In fact, Ive done it a few times this past week because my family is looking into moving out of state. Its easier to say no with that excuse but I still recommend photogs I like and even include "if I were getting married again, this is who I would use, no matter the cost"

Oct 28, 2014 at 07:05 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How do you say no?

Brian Virts wrote:

How and who do you refer to?

One day some guy I never heard of started referring his overflow my way. In appreciation, I started referring my overflow his way. That's all it takes: you refer to one guy and he reciprocates. I don't even remember if I ever looked at his work - I might not have. I left that up to the client to determine whether his art is to the client's taste.

Oct 28, 2014 at 08:32 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How do you say no?

GeoLaing wrote:
I've developed relationships with a number of other photographers whose work I enjoy. I make referrals to them without reservation as they do for me. Having such a network also helps when a few more bookings wouldn't hurt.

If I'm booked (or otherwise not available) I thank them for their interest. It takes little time to email them some phone numbers and email addresses. If it makes their search a little easier then you've earned some good will. I never draw the line at being nice.

I do the same. I have a short list of 8 or 9 other photographers I refer work to. I know that most of them, in the past season, have referred work to me. I value their time, expertise, and professionalism, so they get my referrals.

A great referral to someone great earns me favor with the client who I'm unavailable for, and with the photographer I'm referring to.

Referrals from other photographers have been huge this season for us.

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:04 AM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How do you say no?

If you are local to the Baltimore/DC area and sometimes get inquiries for Frederick, MD/ Western MD, Gettysburg PA, Leesburg, VA out to Bluemont, VA and down to Facquier County, please feel free to send me a PM to get on my referral list.

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:53 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.