FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Acadia National Park - A view from a sea cave

James82
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Acadia National Park - A view from a sea cave

I've read stories on this location and wanted to capture my own view on this location. I got up at 3AM to make the hour and half drive to the coast; thankfully no one else was at the location.

I found a small "path" made up of narrow jagged steps that led me to a plateau and then down another set up steps to where the ocean's water would rise to at high tide and since I was there at its lowest point the next path was exposed, slippery and covered in parts by barnicals or seaweed and sometimes bare rock. As I clung to the side of the ledge with one hand and using my tripod as support in the other I began to realize that the photographers story was unfolding, the path was narrow and slippery. Once around the bend I could clearly see the opening, at it's largest it appeared to be 20' in height and at its lowest a few feet below sea level with a natural barricade of ledge that blocked most stray water from entering the cave. I sat down and carefully slide down a 5 foot drop to a plateau and then dropped down another few feet to the base of the cave- I made it! I looked into the depth of the cave which is about 25' for any Sea Lions, giant spiders, etc.

edit:
I'm not sure why, but the uploaded photo lost some detail, here's a copy on flickr:

Oct 27, 2014 at 05:54 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Acadia National Park - A view from a sea cave

Hi James,

Thanks for the little write up. It's interesting to read about how you got there.

This is a nice shot, I like it, even though it's a bit dark in the cave, it feels natural. Good work here.

Jim

Oct 27, 2014 at 09:42 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Acadia National Park - A view from a sea cave

Very nice with the starburst effect and framing of the cave. I would want a tad of shadow detail pulled up.
I liked reading about your effort to get there.
Now, how did you get out, gear and all?
Scott

Oct 27, 2014 at 09:45 PM
JimKied
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Acadia National Park - A view from a sea cave

Looks like you were there when I was. Those cloudless blue skies look the same! :-). I like the perspective, just want to see more detail in the cave.

Oct 28, 2014 at 07:53 AM
James82
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Acadia National Park - A view from a sea cave

Thank you for the comments. HDR is not my specialty, I just can't get it right and I didn't have much time as the sun was rising fast.

Getting out was easier due to more light and my backpack has a nice trip holder which helps. I plan to go back next summer and try a different composition, settings, etc.

Nov 09, 2014 at 08:50 PM
ChrisKayler
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Acadia National Park - A view from a sea cave

Hi James. A very cool image. I like the seagull on the shore. My one major complaint is that I want more space on the top ... it's a shame, to me, that the top of the cave is cut off. I think the processing is well done and looks quite natural even thought its such a contrasty scene. I like that there is some reflected light on the bottom of the cave, it helps transition from in the cave to out of the cave more easily to my eye. With a bit more space on top, it's a solid image!

Nov 10, 2014 at 10:06 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.