New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 70d or 7D Markii

bclif

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 70d or 7D Markii

Currently have the 70D, but thinking of getting the 7D Markii. I'm not a professional photographer,but interested in pursuing photography and see where it goes. I take landscape, sports shots of the kids and their friends, and some portrait shots. I'm thinking the 7D Markii would be a camera I would have a long time considering its build and it's capabilities. What are your thoughts?

Oct 26, 2014 at 09:07 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 70d or 7D Markii

Wait until the camera is in people's hands for a month, see what images and reviews get posted in real life situations, and evaluate it then. You don't have to replace your camera today.

Oct 26, 2014 at 09:31 AM
Zplusc3
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 70d or 7D Markii

I was in a similar position but decided to get a 70D.

Things like wifi and variangle touch screen are probably features that are considered not necessary by pros and so they were omitted on the 7DII but I feel they are useful for non pros, especially family activity like shooting above crowds or when shooting video.

I rented a 70D for a week and felt the burst rate and AF speed was sufficient for my needs.
Iso performance of the 7DII seems to be better, looking at some of the images floating around, but not a drastic difference.

Considering these things and the price difference and I made my decision.
If your going to be shooting lots of sports and wildlife, I think the 7DII is worth it.
I was also considering the 6D but most of the photos are viewed by family and friends on tablets and phones and so some of the benefit of FF is lost.

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:38 AM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 70d or 7D Markii

bclif wrote:
Currently have the 70D, but thinking of getting the 7D Markii. I'm not a professional photographer,but interested in pursuing photography and see where it goes. I take landscape, sports shots of the kids and their friends, and some portrait shots. I'm thinking the 7D Markii would be a camera I would have a long time considering its build and it's capabilities. What are your thoughts?

Without having any real reviews yet, the main improvements seen in the 7D2 are better build quality, maybe high ISO noise improvement and banding reduction at the sensor level 10 FPS, and significantly improved AF.

If those sound like things that would greatly assist you in your photography then it is worth the money.

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:43 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 70d or 7D Markii

It will likely be similar in iso ability, maybe a bit better.The known big differences are focus ability, fps, burst length 31 and burst recovery (5s with good card). The lack of big burst, and c1,c2,c3 stopped me from the 70d from the 7d.

So if the focus/burst/fps has been a big deal to date, put in your order, otherwise stick with 70d and wait until you see the reviews.

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:54 AM
kabraxcis
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 70d or 7D Markii

Depending on the speed of the sport, 7d2 would be better.
But if you already have a 70d, I would at least wait until used 7d2s come up on the market at markdown prices.

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:13 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 70d or 7D Markii

Writing as a 70D owner and former 7D owner, I'm guessing that the 7D2 upgrade would be insignificant for general use. However, if you beat your gear and mainly shoot high speed sports in bad weather, it be da bomb. I'm enjoying the lighter weight of my 70D and don't miss my 7D at all.

Oct 26, 2014 at 12:32 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 70d or 7D Markii

Gochugogi wrote:
Writing as a 70D owner and former 7D owner, I'm guessing that the 7D2 upgrade would be insignificant for general use. However, if you beat your gear and mainly shoot high speed sports in bad weather, it be da bomb. I'm enjoying the lighter weight of my 70D and don't miss my 7D at all.

If I was interested in general use I'd be more tempted by the 6D then the 7D2 in that price range. Why pay for the FPS/buffer/build if your shooting isn't optimized for it.

Oct 26, 2014 at 02:32 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 70d or 7D Markii

I agree, the 6D and 70D make a great duo: same weight, size and control surfaces for ease of use and the best of both sizes of EOS CMOS tech.

Oct 26, 2014 at 02:39 PM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 70d or 7D Markii

If the 7DII focuses as advertised, I'll be picking one up.

The high ISO capability is welcome but I'm sure I'll be wishing for more, that and comparable pixel quality with the full frames.

Imho it'll be the crop camera hot rod.

Oct 27, 2014 at 05:06 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.