New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Mamiya + Sony + Zeiss + 50Mp

carlitos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mamiya + Sony + Zeiss + 50Mp

This was posted earlier today on Luminous Landscape. Digital Mamiya 7; Mamiya version and Sony version. Looks very interesting if true.

http://photorumors.com/

Oct 25, 2014 at 08:23 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mamiya + Sony + Zeiss + 50Mp

It's not the partnership I was hoping for, but it'll be cool if it happens.

Oct 25, 2014 at 09:09 PM
coffeeshakes
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mamiya + Sony + Zeiss + 50Mp

It's not a bad partnership. Sony's really the only game in town for the sensor, and other than fuji mamiya has the most history in the mf rangefinder arena. A couple nice leaf shutter lenses, a nice physical control layout, it's not that hard.

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:13 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mamiya + Sony + Zeiss + 50Mp

It would be nice to see the Mamiya name nice and strong, given a rebirth in the digital age.

Also, no one made finer lenses than Mamiya's rangefinder series of lenses. Stunningly sharp in every possible way.

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:44 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mamiya + Sony + Zeiss + 50Mp

Magnet based lens attachment? What are they smoking?

Oct 26, 2014 at 01:56 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mamiya + Sony + Zeiss + 50Mp

My guess is, if Sony do release a medium-format camera, it will be an RX with a fixed lens. It would make sense, as the RX-1R is already "higher-end" than he A7R, and as it would not mean for Sony a new lens mount and set of lenses, when the FE range is still not complete.

Oct 26, 2014 at 02:13 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mamiya + Sony + Zeiss + 50Mp

philber wrote:
My guess is, if Sony do release a medium-format camera, it will be an RX with a fixed lens. It would make sense, as the RX-1R is already "higher-end" than he A7R, and as it would not mean for Sony a new lens mount and set of lenses, when the FE range is still not complete.

We are talking about a Sony sensor in a Mamiya camera and lens system. It's a partnership.

Oct 26, 2014 at 02:23 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mamiya + Sony + Zeiss + 50Mp

I've got nothing against Mamiya glass, or Mamiya in general. And I don't know that they need to be reborn. M645 is still going strong, though, if this happens, it will be the first fixed sensor camera they've produced since the under-appreciated ZD.

That said, Mamiya hasn't been particularly innovative with their M645 glass, and they rely heavily on Schneider for the high end of the system. It's a good thing if you like 7 lenses, because I'm guessing we'll see updates on those designs with a wide thrown in for good measure. Conversely, Fuji's optical designers and engineers have been producing some excellent glass, both for their own smaller-format system and Hassy. I'd like to see what they could do with this.

Oct 26, 2014 at 02:29 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mamiya + Sony + Zeiss + 50Mp

freaklikeme wrote:
I've got nothing against Mamiya glass, or Mamiya in general. And I don't know that they need to be reborn. M645 is still going strong, though, if this happens, it will be the first fixed sensor camera they've produced since the under-appreciated ZD.

That said, Mamiya hasn't been particularly innovative with their M645 glass, and they rely heavily on Schneider for the high end of the system. It's a good thing if you like 7 lenses, because I'm guessing we'll see updates on those designs with a wide thrown in for good measure. Conversely, Fuji's optical designers and engineers have been
...Show more

The Mamiya 80mm f/4, and 65mm f/4 lenses are as good as anything Fujifilm has ever made and the 43mm f/4.5 lens from Mamiya is in a class of its own. Fujifilm has never made lens that wide in either 6 x 4.5 or larger (medium) format.

Oct 26, 2014 at 02:40 AM
asnapper
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mamiya + Sony + Zeiss + 50Mp

rattymouse wrote:
The Mamiya 80mm f/4, and 65mm f/4 lenses are as good as anything Fujifilm has ever made and the 43mm f/4.5 lens from Mamiya is in a class of its own. Fujifilm has never made lens that wide in either 6 x 4.5 or larger (medium) format.

I have a Fuji 680 system and I own the Fuji 50mm f5.6 lens which covers 6x8 with movements! The Fuji 6x8 lenses are excellent, as is the whole Fuji 680 system where you have all the movements you would get on LF camera

Oct 26, 2014 at 03:52 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mamiya + Sony + Zeiss + 50Mp

asnapper wrote:
I have a Fuji 680 system and I own the Fuji 50mm f5.6 lens which covers 6x8 with movements! The Fuji 6x8 lenses are excellent, as is the whole Fuji 680 system where you have all the movements you would get on LF camera

I allllwaaays forget about the GX680. Such an amazing system, but dang is it big. The prices on that camera and lenses have fallen through the floor. Possibly THE best bargain in the entire film world, IF you can stand the weight.

Oct 26, 2014 at 04:15 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mamiya + Sony + Zeiss + 50Mp

The GX680 is a street camera, I thought:

Oct 26, 2014 at 04:57 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mamiya + Sony + Zeiss + 50Mp

Cool that they did it but have to admit, if I was going to go for that size, I'd have just taken a speed graphic and gone all out.

Oct 26, 2014 at 07:54 AM
carlitos
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mamiya + Sony + Zeiss + 50Mp

Though Photorumors shows a Mamiya 7, the 50Mp sensor isn't 6x7, is it?

Oct 26, 2014 at 09:15 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Mamiya + Sony + Zeiss + 50Mp

Nope, it's smaller than 645. I assume it's going to be a whole new design. Nice of Mamiya to waste time and resources on this rather than building a replacement to the DF which we've been waiting for for so long.

Oct 26, 2014 at 09:18 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Mamiya + Sony + Zeiss + 50Mp

It is also 4:3, isn't it, 44x33mm?

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:38 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Mamiya + Sony + Zeiss + 50Mp

The Mamiya 7 lens range was fantastic in IQ.
The Mamiya 50mmf4.5 lens on the Mamiya 7 puts most other lenses to shame. I had one of those as well as the 43mm. The 43mm was also superb but the 50mm on the M7 was bliss. Imagine the BEST Leica RF wide on steroids...

Sure 4.5 was maybe not so hot but it was as good as it gets from wide open already and the RF shutter enabled hand held shots to the same level as with the Leica M. I will look into that partnership, stay tuned and see what comes out of it.

Oct 26, 2014 at 12:21 PM
U.C.
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Mamiya + Sony + Zeiss + 50Mp

The Mamiya model will have an OVF with OLED focus peaking

Killer feature. I want that on the 5D Mark IV. DSLR's already have lcd screens above the focusing screen, so make it an OLED which turns on when switching to liveview and looking trough the viewfinder.

Oct 26, 2014 at 01:17 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.