Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Youth Football Game

Matt.burn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Youth Football Game

I had my first opportunity to photograph a Football game this morning.
It's a typical Northwest day with the wind, rain and muddy field. Made for a gritty game on both sides of the ball.

I learned A LOT this time out.
First the field isn't flat so I missed a couple good runs due to cut off feet by the "hump" in the field.

Second, The kids run in packs, so it down right challenging to follow the ball let alone get a good clean shot when the plays coming at you. I would love to step up to the H.S. level to see how much this differs from the youth level.

Third, I did the best I could, but there's just not a lot you can do about the background on this kind of field.

Anyway, Here's a few of my keepers from today.
Any CC or tips from the community would be very appreciated.

Thanks for taking a look,

Matt

All the above photos were shot at the same settings...
Camera: Canon EOS-1D X
Lens: Canon 300 f/4L w/1.4 ext
Focal Length: 420mm
Shutter Speed: 1/1000 s
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO: 3200

Oct 25, 2014 at 06:35 PM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Youth Football Game

The biggest thing you can do to improve is shoot MUCH tighter and crop in tight on top of that.

#4 is a good example... As presented, my eyes are drawn immediately to #51, but he's not relevant to the play at all. I then start searching around for what the shot is supposed to be about. Once I find it, there's a good shot buried in here, but you need to crop in around the ball carrier and the guy tackling him.

Jay

Oct 26, 2014 at 08:32 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Youth Football Game

rolette wrote:
The biggest thing you can do to improve is shoot MUCH tighter and crop in tight on top of that.

#4 is a good example... As presented, my eyes are drawn immediately to #51, but he's not relevant to the play at all. I then start searching around for what the shot is supposed to be about. Once I find it, there's a good shot buried in here, but you need to crop in around the ball carrier and the guy tackling him.

Jay

+1

...the strength of a capture usually improves when the action focal point fills the frame...

Oct 26, 2014 at 08:58 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Youth Football Game

Think vertical! Horizontal orientation has its time and place, but shooting vertically will help you to shoot tighter. #4 is a great shot, but it's lost in everything else. Had the ball carrier and defender filled the frame more, it would have been a real keeper. You'll have to be real patient and let the action come to you in vertical orientation especially at 400mm. There was a time when that focal length was adequate for capturing field sports. Not anymore. Full frame cameras necessitate a longer focal length if you really want to capture the game above and beyond what amateurs are getting. Quite often I'm shooting the little guys at 600mm and longer.

Oct 26, 2014 at 09:54 AM
Matt.burn
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Youth Football Game

Thank you all for the advise! This wasn't the best conditions since I wasn't allowed on the sidelines. So I was stuck shooting from the other side of the track past the end zone on the H.S. field. Next season I'll have a volunteer pass so I'll be able to get way closet to the action. And I should have enough put away for some longer glass.

After all your advise to get closer, I scrapped some as they were just too far out. And others, I like way more!

Here's a few more from when I was just a little closer to the action, and edited more to your recommendations.

With the position they are in, a vertical shot left a lot of empty space on the top and bottom, so I left it horizontal and just cropped tighter...

I also left this one a horizontal because IMHO, it just looked more interesting when you the defense coming in for the tackle.

Thank you again for your replies and advice. :-)

Oct 26, 2014 at 02:56 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Youth Football Game

Much better.

Oct 26, 2014 at 02:58 PM
Matt.burn
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Youth Football Game

Thank's, P Alesse.

Oct 26, 2014 at 04:34 PM
RockRebel

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Youth Football Game

As a Mom, I loved them! As a photographer, I agree cropping will make your pictures better. The color was great and you captured some really good shots. I am sure the parents are thrilled!

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:48 PM
Matt.burn
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Youth Football Game

Thank you for the feedback, RockRebel.
The parents did like the photos so on that level, it was a successful day.

But for my own personal goals, I'd love for the parents to get pictures of their kids that would resemble something they'd see in the magazines.
I'll keep on with the motto, practice, practice, practice! Lol.

Oct 29, 2014 at 01:48 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.