New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · verifying of backup files

mtbakerskier
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · verifying of backup files

Anyone have any recommendations for a good program to do routine verification checks of backup files? I am currently using Image Verifier but its quite clunky/ slow. The .dng verifier built into lightroom is great but it only works for the master lightroom catalog.

If it helps, my current workflow is to convert to .dng then send one copy to my Master Archive Raid. Another copy gets imported into Lightroom to my Master Catalog Raid. Daily the Master Archive Raid gets backed up to a Secondary Archive raid and the Master Catalog Raid gets backed up to the Secondary catalog raid. Both Master raids get backed up monthly to there respective off site raids.

So what I need is a way to make sure that I am not backup up corrupt files and a method to also check the integrity of the backed up files over time.

Oct 25, 2014 at 03:21 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · verifying of backup files

Do you need some sort of checksum program?

Is that what it's called?

Oct 26, 2014 at 04:01 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · verifying of backup files

If the LR tool works ok for you, why not set up a second catalogue with your backups and use that for checking? Perhaps not an elegant solution, but a practical one...

I know keep my files on a NAS running ZFS, which has built-in checksumming and protection against silent data corruption.

Oct 26, 2014 at 05:10 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · verifying of backup files

off the top of my head, you may find 'Chronosync' by Econ fits your needs.

Oct 26, 2014 at 08:54 AM
PhilPDX
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · verifying of backup files

Try FreeFileSync. Great backup program with a built-in, on-demand CRC check. Just make sure to uncheck 'I accept the terms of the AVG toolbar...' during the installation process, or you will end up with unwanted software on your system.

http://freefilesync.sourceforge.net/

-Phil

Oct 26, 2014 at 12:02 PM
mtbakerskier
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · verifying of backup files

PhilPDX wrote:
Try FreeFileSync. Great backup program with a built-in, on-demand CRC check. Just make sure to uncheck 'I accept the terms of the AVG toolbar...' during the installation process, or you will end up with unwanted software on your system.

http://freefilesync.sourceforge.net/

-Phil

Sounds sketchy.

Oct 26, 2014 at 02:18 PM
PhilPDX
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · verifying of backup files

No, not really. The software is open source and they try to cover some of their costs by packaging their software with other applications from sponsors. As I said: you only have to uncheck that one checkbox in the setup dialog, and you're ready to go. I've been using this software for quite a few years already and it is one of the best ones in its field.

FWIW:
http://download.cnet.com/FreeFileSync/3000-2248_4-75300470.html

The reviews that talk about malware are blown out of proportion because the authors didn't pay attention to the installation process at all. Or as one reviewer described it:

"Bloatware option available on install. Not required to install bloatware for program download, unless of course, you can't read."

-Phil

Oct 26, 2014 at 02:40 PM
mtbakerskier
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · verifying of backup files

Phil, any software that will automatically install bloatware unless you uncheck the option for it is super sketchy, and I sure as heck am not going to trust my valuable image files to it.

What I am looking for is a standalone .dng verifier program similar to Image Verifier that has more options for automation, and is hopefully more effeicent.

Oct 26, 2014 at 04:58 PM
PhilPDX
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · verifying of backup files

mtbakerskier wrote:
any software that will automatically install bloatware unless you uncheck the option for it is super sketchy

Do you click 'YES' during the installation of a program without ever reading the dialog? The decision of the developer to add bloatware might be very questionable, but the program itself isn't sketchy at all. It is open source software and there is no chance whatsoever to hide any malicious code.

Good luck with your search
-Phil

Oct 26, 2014 at 05:21 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · verifying of backup files

You don't need to use the DNG verification to verify a backup. If the backups have the same checksum and file size then they are identical. IV can do this. So can ExactFile.

If you are using Mac then try diglloyd tools, especially the integrity check component.

The programs are ok if you just copy files but can get confused if you rename them too. If you do that then perhaps you can do the checks on the renamed versions of the files rather than the off-the-card originals.

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:18 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.