1       2      
       end

Archive 2014 · A Maroon Bells Morning

roguecoolman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · A Maroon Bells Morning

Jim,

Killer shot there. I've never been to Maroon Bells but this is a nice different view. Would this be further up on the right side of the banks (from the area that most people shoot from)? I really like the 10 stop use here. I think a lot of times the 10 stops get used but doesn't really add to the overall scene. I like the use here. The pattern of the trails really add drama and nice lines.

Jason

Oct 27, 2014 at 12:32 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · A Maroon Bells Morning

wonderful image and interpretation. makes me feel like going back one day again.
just curious, can you post the one that was taken without 10 stops ND ?
bob ☺

Oct 27, 2014 at 12:51 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · A Maroon Bells Morning

HolyshitBatman!!

Oct 27, 2014 at 03:32 PM
Littlefield
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · A Maroon Bells Morning

Jim, really shows how you can capture the clouds with a 10 stop and create a nice, artistic fall scene in that area.
Don

Oct 27, 2014 at 03:35 PM
aFeinberg
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · A Maroon Bells Morning

Super freakin cool. Looks a bit crunchy...esp in the shadows; maybe over sharpen or too much clarity but a nit. Killer conditions and take on this place.

aF

Oct 27, 2014 at 03:46 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · A Maroon Bells Morning

harshaj1 wrote:
Great capture Jim. I like the movements of the clouds here. Last time I used a 10 stop ND and a polarizer together it ended up resulting in a significant color shift. Looks like you did fine here.
Harsha

Thanks so much Harsha, I am glad you liked it. Yeah, I did not notice any real color shift, I am using a B+W 10 stop.

Jim

---------------------------------------------

Timmeh wrote:
Hey Jim,

Beautiful shot, and you definitely made this an enticing place despite the stories of a million dollars worth of photographic equipment pointed at the mountains each sunrise (and a hundred grumpy photographers too). Excellent use of slow shutter and giving the photo that extra something. With the amount of time you've spent in Colorado this last year, are you thinking of making it home?

Tim

Hey Tim,

I am glad you liked it, it was nice to come up with something different. As far as grumpy photographers, there really were not any that I know of. There is lot's of room for people to spread out, so usually everyone is just enjoying the social aspects of shooting together.

Moving to Colorado would be very tempting, my daughter and her family is there now, so I do have a place to stay when I am there! But for now, I still really enjoy SoCal... and plus I have an annual pass to Disneyland, so I can't leave yet...

Jim

Oct 27, 2014 at 09:33 PM
danthebiker
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · A Maroon Bells Morning

A Beautiful shot taken by a master. Very nice work. The one thing that I would do if it were mine is clone out the bridge in the lower left. I personally like my photos to appear as though they were part of an untouched piece of nature, but that is just my own opinion.

Oct 28, 2014 at 01:57 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · A Maroon Bells Morning

roguecoolman wrote:
Jim,

Killer shot there. I've never been to Maroon Bells but this is a nice different view. Would this be further up on the right side of the banks (from the area that most people shoot from)? I really like the 10 stop use here. I think a lot of times the 10 stops get used but doesn't really add to the overall scene. I like the use here. The pattern of the trails really add drama and nice lines.

Jason

Thanks Jason, I am glad you like it. This shot is of the creek feeding the lake. People go back there, but the majority line up on the banks of the lake itself.

Jim

nugeny wrote:
wonderful image and interpretation. makes me feel like going back one day again.
just curious, can you post the one that was taken without 10 stops ND ?
bob ☺

Hey Bob,

I am glad you like it. I will post a non 10 stop ND version soon. I just don't like to be like some that just pepper the forum with endless takes on a location. I prefer to pick one or two, and then just post them individually for the most part.

Jim

aFeinberg wrote:
Super freakin cool. Looks a bit crunchy...esp in the shadows; maybe over sharpen or too much clarity but a nit. Killer conditions and take on this place.

aF

Thanks Aaron, I am glad you like it and thanks for your comments. I will be printing this one in the next day or so, and will check to see what it looks like in print.

Jim

danthebiker wrote:
A Beautiful shot taken by a master. Very nice work. The one thing that I would do if it were mine is clone out the bridge in the lower left. I personally like my photos to appear as though they were part of an untouched piece of nature, but that is just my own opinion.

Hey Dan, glad you like it. As for the bridge, I had the same thought. I have cloned it out in years past with shots from this area. But for this one, I wanted to see if anyone noticed it, or thought it was a distraction first. So thanks for sharing that.

Jim

Oct 28, 2014 at 08:01 PM
DougDolde
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · A Maroon Bells Morning

Killer shot Jim !

Oct 31, 2014 at 10:51 PM
Jfarmer
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · A Maroon Bells Morning

JimFox wrote:
This was from about 3 weeks ago, I was fortunate to get there the night it snowed and made for a wonderful backdrop, both snow on the peaks and the early morning clearing storm clouds.

This was shot with a 10 stop ND and polarizer to accelerate the already fast moving clouds.

All comments are welcome,

Jim

Fresh perspective on a very overshot location. Nice work
Jon

Nov 01, 2014 at 11:17 AM
DavidFantle

p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · A Maroon Bells Morning

Really nice, Jim. I normally have a strong dislike of the effect of 10-stop ND's, but it works well in this image, and the cloud movement is very complementary to the flow and shape of the river below.

-Dave

Nov 01, 2014 at 11:39 AM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · A Maroon Bells Morning

That's a great looking photo Jim! Really nice work!

Nov 07, 2014 at 02:46 PM
Pincher

p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · A Maroon Bells Morning

Amazing!

Nov 07, 2014 at 05:08 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.