New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Rule of thirds vs. the Golden Ratio

boingyman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Rule of thirds vs. the Golden Ratio

IMO it doesn't really matter. If it does come to that decision in a photo I choose whatever I feel makes that shot more aethesically pleasing when framing (and in some cases cropping). Many times it's neither of the two. I sometimes feel these so called 'rules' limit photographers, especially beginners. They think placing the subject, horizon, point of interest, etc using these rules will somehow automatically make a photo good or better, when in fact they should focusing on other compositional aspects, light, timing, interaction, environment, inclusion/exclusion etc that may help improve the photo. It also kind of depends on what type of photography you do, your intentions and expectations for that particular shot.

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:58 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Rule of thirds vs. the Golden Ratio

Like with many disciplines (including sports), focusing on rules in the beginning can be detrimental to one's exploration and enjoyment of a new pursuit. But somewhere down the line, if one wants to develop a keener understanding of the "game", rules begin to play a significant role. Rules or no rules, there is a great joy and satisfaction in photography. I call it the joy of creating something from nothing.

Oct 28, 2014 at 03:51 PM
       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.