Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2014 · Canon user thinking of jumping ship....

Etherton
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon user thinking of jumping ship....

Yet, another long time Canon (5D MKIII) user thinking about moving over to Nikon. I like what I am seeing from the Nikon camp in their D800, D800e & D810 bodies. My concern though is my lenses, which is probably most peoples issue when considering swapping ecosystems. Particularly in the 85L MKII - is there a comparable Nikon alternative? How do the Nikon lenses I am considering compare to their Canon counterparts?

Primarily a landscape shooter and recently acquired a few Profoto B1's for portrait work. Even if Canon does release a comparable body it is going to run in the neighborhood of $4-6k. I'm not sold on the Sony A7r - although I believe mirror-less is going to be the future (not trying to start dslr/mirror-less debate). Opinions? Thoughts? Thanks everyone!

Current lens line up:

Canon 14L MKII 2.8

Canon 24-70L MKII 2.8

Canon 85L MKII 1.2

Canon 100L IS 2.8

Canon 70-200L MKII IS 2.8

Considering:

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF
Nikon AF-S Zoom Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II

Oct 24, 2014 at 08:22 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon user thinking of jumping ship....

What's Canon not doing for you? Is it lack of a high res camera? If so, you will LOVE the D8xx series. 36MP is really pretty sweet. If it's more than that, please elaborate.

At any rate, the three lenses you mention are all stellar. Tack sharp, fast, reliable, just can't go wrong. Not sure on the 85 1.2 equal in the Nikon camp. I guess the 85 1.4, but I have no experience with it.

Oct 24, 2014 at 08:34 PM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon user thinking of jumping ship....

Yeah - I'm pretty disappointed that Canon hasn't answered with a higher res camera with better dynamic range. Overall, I haven't had that "wow" factor with my 5D MKIII that I had with my 5D MKII. Then again I was stepping up from a 50D to full frame. Guess I got a little of the "grass is greener" going on...

Oct 24, 2014 at 08:56 PM
Mataz426
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon user thinking of jumping ship....

Some 5D mk3 wow factor for you

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1325478

Oct 24, 2014 at 09:01 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon user thinking of jumping ship....

Etherton - I did exactly the same 2 months ago, switch from 5M3 to D810, as I needed more mpx to pursue commercial and some fashion/glamour.

Currently I have replaced my lenses 1:1, ie., 16-35, 24-70, 70-200, 300/4, 50/1.4 100/2.8 in Nikkor version except I went Tamron for 24-70 for the VC option.

I could not have been more happier, but (there's always one ) I dearly miss the 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM For tight close-up shots with the 70-200 @ 2.8, there is no match for the Canon IMHO

Though I still have to figure out group area AF, my opinion is 5M3's AF was a lot snappier, purely based on my current lens lineup and my own ability to use them to their potential.

You will love the shutter sound. That alone is worth the switch

Also C-One Pro seems to process D810 files better I think but I can't quantify

Oct 24, 2014 at 09:27 PM
hans98ko
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon user thinking of jumping ship....

Welcome aboard SS Nikon!
I really doubt that either Canon nor Nikon will care, because with people like us who will jump aboard the leading ship to stay ahead, they knew that we will jump back when the time comes.
The only people who cares are those branded fan boys or girls who can't afford to jump ship and falls behind and sinks with them when they when under, or those like us who hunts for good bargains.
Okay! Full engine ahead! Torpedoes are coming!
Ready to abandon ship once again.

Oct 24, 2014 at 10:22 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon user thinking of jumping ship....

I switched and had a lot of nice Canon glass . . . 85L, 200 f/1.8, 400 f/2,8, they holy trinity of zooms, etc. etc.

No worries with Nikon and their lenses. It was a good decision for me to switch and one I do not regret. The D800 is a really great camera.

I shoot the 14-24 f/2.8 for landscape and it is an amazing lens.

Go for it!

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:05 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon user thinking of jumping ship....

While switching fully to Nikon would be effective, it's hard to imagine giving up lenses that are unique in ways that aren't fully replicated in Nikon's system, noting that this does go both ways. But to be specific, it makes more sense to add an A7R for the purpose of landscape shooting, which will adapt equally well to Canon or Nikon glass.

Lens by lens:
1. 14/2.8L II- obviously replaced by the 14-24/2.8G, in every way except for size; note that the Samyang 14/2.8 makes an effective, and inexpensive, alternative.
2. 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8- both are superior in Canon mount, and would shine on the A7R more than Nikon's lenses would on a D800-series body.
3. 100L- better rendering, better IS, and better usage as a telephoto lens than the 105VR. Both are effective macro lenses.
4. 85L II- the 85/1.4G is a faster focusing, sharper, better corrected lens with smooth rendering, but it cannot provide the look of the Canon lens wide open, or the Canon's character. Both provide for excellent portraiture.

Generally speaking, you'll lose value in the switch. Now the A7R isn't cheap of course, and neither are the accessories needed to make it an effective landscape replacement, but it would provide the widest availability of lenses. You'd be able to use Nikon's 14-24/2.8G alongside Canon's 17TSE or 24TSE, etc.

Oct 25, 2014 at 01:32 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon user thinking of jumping ship....

Biggest landscape limitation of Nikon = top-quality tilt-shift lenses.

Biggest overall limitation of Canon = low ISO dynamic range in a single RAW.

I've been using Canon forever (for weddings/portraits), I've owned and sold several Nikon D800s because I wanted something they offered but couldn't handle the trade-offs. Most of those trade-offs are now eliminated with the D750, the only things still missing (from the D750) are a 1/8000 shutter, pc sync port, and the ability to mount Canon lenses...

But that didn't stop me from ordering a D750 today. The price point makes it very difficult to resist, even despite my also having to order a 0.9x ND filter with adapter rings, a few more SD cards, a few screwlock pc sync hot shoe adapters...

I still like my 5d2s better than my 5d3 also. Tonight's wedding was no exception, I put away the 5d3 for the reception because I wanted fast, responsive AF and in-focus images. The 5d3 won't give me that during receptions, even after 20+ weddings.

However, if the D750 works really, REALLY well...then I may direct more attention to Nikon.

Edited on Oct 25, 2014 at 02:07 AM · View previous versions

Oct 25, 2014 at 01:50 AM
Light_pilgrim
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon user thinking of jumping ship....

What is wrong with 5D MKIII? Even compared to D810, what is wrong with it? I have 5D MKIII and I just do not know how any other new camera could make be a better photographer of even change anything in pictures I am taking. I have friends with 5D MKIII and with D800 and I have to tell you....it is not the gear that makes their pictures stand out.

It might sound harsh, but I think the problem is not the camera and as soon as you will switch to NIkon....you will feel the same issue....because the problem is somewhere else.

eth3rton wrote:
Yet, another long time Canon (5D MKIII) user thinking about moving over to Nikon.

Oct 25, 2014 at 01:57 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon user thinking of jumping ship....

eth3rton wrote:
Yet, another long time Canon (5D MKIII) user thinking about moving over to Nikon. I like what I am seeing from the Nikon camp in their D800, D800e & D810 bodies. My concern though is my lenses, which is probably most peoples issue when considering swapping ecosystems. Particularly in the 85L MKII - is there a comparable Nikon alternative? How do the Nikon lenses I am considering compare to their Canon counterparts?

Primarily a landscape shooter and recently acquired a few Profoto B1's for portrait work. Even if Canon does release a comparable body it is going to run in the
...Show more

I left Canon almost three years ago, but I did so as informed convert, with first hand experience. Like you, my 85 1.2L II rarely left my 5D. Like you I bought into Canon's L marketing nonsense. But then I did something that changed my life. I rented a D800 the week it came out with an 85 1.4G. That combination astounded me. I found Nikon's 85 superior in ever way imaginable. Sharpness, skin tone, color, bokeh, you name it.

But here's the real shocker, it's privileged information that you're not ready to hear or accept. Here goes. Nikon's 85 1.8G is just as good, if not better than your 1.2L or the 1.4G. You're going to fight against this because Canon's L propaganda has swallowed you whole. But I challenge you to rent these lenses and try them yourself. It's going to change your life. Because Nikon has meticulously updated their entire lens lineup over the last 5 years. Their 1.8G lenses will astound you. Here's the real revelation, are you ready? With Nikon there is no pro vs amateur lens. There are no synthetic distinctions designed to pick your pocketbook. Any pro can shoot with an inexpensive 1.8G lens and produce equally good photos. The L nightmare is over. You're waking up on the dark side.

Oct 25, 2014 at 03:07 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon user thinking of jumping ship....

I didn't like the 85 f/1.8g, the bokeh mostly. Just can't reach f/1.2-f/1.4 base values. The other problem is sometimes Nikon's very perfect/smooth bokeh lacks the personality of the imperfect bokeh of Canon lenses.

Oct 25, 2014 at 03:38 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon user thinking of jumping ship....

form wrote:
I didn't like the 85 f/1.8g, the bokeh mostly. Just can't reach f/1.2-f/1.4 base values. The other problem is sometimes Nikon's very perfect/smooth bokeh lacks the personality of the imperfect bokeh of Canon lenses.

The 28/1.8G is a pretty special lens; the 85/1.8G comes off as sharper wide-open than Canon's older version, but it also doesn't focus as fast, and both suffer from LoCA at wider apertures limiting their usage in contrasty situations.

Going further, the 50L and 58G are very similar in effect; suffice to say that they're 'different'. Same with the fast 85s.

In general, the point is that for nearly all photography there is very little practical difference between systems outside of the extremes and/or specific use cases.

Oct 25, 2014 at 12:12 PM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon user thinking of jumping ship....

ohsnaphappy wrote:
I left Canon almost three years ago, but I did so as informed convert, with first hand experience. Like you, my 85 1.2L II rarely left my 5D. Like you I bought into Canon's L marketing nonsense. But then I did something that changed my life. I rented a D800 the week it came out with an 85 1.4G. That combination astounded me. I found Nikon's 85 superior in ever way imaginable. Sharpness, skin tone, color, bokeh, you name it.

But here's the real shocker, it's privileged information that you're not ready to hear or accept. Here goes. Nikon's 85 1.8G
...Show more

Now, do I want the blue pill or the red pill?

Oct 25, 2014 at 12:23 PM
Tubby
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon user thinking of jumping ship....

I'm also in the process of switching from Canon to Nikon. At this moment have a D750 in my hands and putting it through it's paces to see if I want to sell all of my Canon L lenses and body and go Nikon. Hard thing to do but I like the Nikon presentation more and more.

Years ago when it was only film I used to shoot exclusively Nikon for 35mm. Had all the F cameras. If someone said "buy a Canon" I'd say "YUCK!". Canon took the lead initially on digital and was the forerunner for a long time. I think Nikon has certainly caught up and maybe even surpassed Canon in some terms.

I think this would all be easier if I had a buyer for my Canon gear. Ebaying it and losing a lot of money just doesn't seem appealing. ;-)

Oct 25, 2014 at 12:26 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon user thinking of jumping ship....

sritri wrote:
...in Nikkor version except I went Tamron for 24-70 for the VC option...Though I still have to figure out group area AF, my opinion is 5M3's AF was a lot snappier, purely based on my current lens lineup and my own ability to use them to their potential...

This is why you buy the OEM pro lenses... I loved everything about the Tammy except it's AF performance (and the ring setup, but hey).

Oct 25, 2014 at 02:04 PM
Chris Court
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon user thinking of jumping ship....

johnctharp wrote:
In general, the point is that for nearly all photography there is very little practical difference between systems outside of the extremes and/or specific use cases.

Well said.

C

Oct 25, 2014 at 02:20 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon user thinking of jumping ship....

johnctharp wrote:
This is why you buy the OEM pro lenses... I loved everything about the Tammy except it's AF performance (and the ring setup, but hey).

John - I have not noticed any AF slow responses with the Tammy. But then I never used a 24-70N to really know the difference. Is it that noticeable ?

Oct 25, 2014 at 02:33 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon user thinking of jumping ship....

How does the D750 autofocus compare to that of the 5D3? I'm only familiar with the latter, but the D750 is an appealing camera.

Oct 25, 2014 at 05:03 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon user thinking of jumping ship....

sritri wrote:
John - I have not noticed any AF slow responses with the Tammy. But then I never used a 24-70N to really know the difference. Is it that noticeable ?

It was as slow as my 24-105L on my 6D- great optic though

Oct 25, 2014 at 06:22 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.