Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Cheap, effective optical slave? YN560 I/II/III??

BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cheap, effective optical slave? YN560 I/II/III??

Hello, I've done some searching without finding an answer to my specific question, so I am hoping someone here will know right off.

I just picked up a Pentax MX-1 for some light macro work and to carry instead of one of my DSLRs some of the time. It is poor in low light and has no hot shoe (DUMB MOVE PENTAX!), but I've been playing with my SB900 as an optical slave and it has been pretty great. I am looking at picking up a cheaper speedlight to use as an optical slave since I feel a little silly with a light that is worth twice as much as the camera and I wouldn't mind having something cheap and cheerful without any extra TTL/radio nonsense. I have been reading up on the YN-560 in all of the different versions and it seems like an okay candidate. Is there something better out there that I should be looking at in the same price range? Will the optical slave performance be comparable from such a low end unit to my SB900 (consistent, range, etc)?

I also have 3x Cactus RF60s and some studio strobes, but again, I'd like something dedicated for just this camera and not precious in any way. Thoughts??

Oct 24, 2014 at 10:49 AM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cheap, effective optical slave? YN560 I/II/III??

The YN-560s are great speed lights especially for the price. Below are the differences. If you are not using the YN-602/3 triggers, I recommend the ii. The basic flash performance is the same.

i - LED lights (no LCD screen)
ii - LCD screen
iii - LCD screen & RF receiver for 602/3 triggers

Oct 24, 2014 at 02:11 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cheap, effective optical slave? YN560 I/II/III??

I have 3 lumopro LP160 speed lights, and they are solid. They slave optically well and also work with my YN 602 wireless stuff. Simple controls and they just work.

Paul

Oct 25, 2014 at 05:20 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cheap, effective optical slave? YN560 I/II/III??

Thanks guys for the replies. I hadn't looked at Lumopro, but I will check them out.

Oct 26, 2014 at 09:44 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cheap, effective optical slave? YN560 I/II/III??

BSPhotog wrote:
I hadn't looked at Lumopro, but I will check them out.

The optical slave on the LP-180 is amazing: http://comrace.ca/wp_pics/2013/07/05/lumopro-lp180-a-review/ - scroll down to "LumoPro LP180 Triggering in Full Sun"

Oct 28, 2014 at 01:35 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cheap, effective optical slave? YN560 I/II/III??

I second the suggestion of the YN 560 II. About $100 each.

Oct 29, 2014 at 07:03 PM
Skirball

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cheap, effective optical slave? YN560 I/II/III??

YN 560 III are only $70 each, so no idea why you'd buy a II for $30 more.

I'm not quite sure what you're looking for, as you seem to have all the flash equipment you need, but if you want to buy more I can't argue with that.

If you're looking for only a manual system then the 560 III is the best option out there, IMHO. Why even bother with optical slave? Pick up a RF602 or RF603 transmitter for $10 or so and you have RF control with no optical limitations. Spend $50 on the new 560TX transmitter and you can even control power and zoom of the flash from your camera.

To answer your earlier questions, yes, the power and quality is more or less as good as the name brand options. Some would argue that reliability of the generics isn't as good, but that hasn't been my experience.

Nov 04, 2014 at 12:32 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cheap, effective optical slave? YN560 I/II/III??

Thanks. The MX1 doesn't have a hot shoe, so that was the reason for optical slave.

Skirball wrote:
YN 560 III are only $70 each, so no idea why you'd buy a II for $30 more.

I'm not quite sure what you're looking for, as you seem to have all the flash equipment you need, but if you want to buy more I can't argue with that.

If you're looking for only a manual system then the 560 III is the best option out there, IMHO. Why even bother with optical slave? Pick up a RF602 or RF603 transmitter for $10 or so and you have RF control with no optical limitations. Spend $50 on the new 560TX transmitter and
...Show more

Nov 04, 2014 at 01:00 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cheap, effective optical slave? YN560 I/II/III??

If I needed an optical slave, I would do the Lumopro...hands down. The flashes are great...been using them for years

Nov 07, 2014 at 11:54 AM
ryanmaderic

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cheap, effective optical slave? YN560 I/II/III??

Has anyone tried using the miniTT1 and 560III for wireless flash. I wanted to use the internal RF602/3 of the 560III instead of attaching another receiver to the flash while using my miniTT1.

Thanks!

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:46 AM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Cheap, effective optical slave? YN560 I/II/III??

You can ask pocket wizard if the MiniTT1 and RF602/603 would be compatible. Since they work on different frequencies, the answer will be "no", but you can ask.

Nov 25, 2014 at 08:35 AM
ryanmaderic

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Cheap, effective optical slave? YN560 I/II/III??

kaplah wrote:
You can ask pocket wizard if the MiniTT1 and RF602/603 would be compatible. Since they work on different frequencies, the answer will be "no", but you can ask.

Thanks!

Nov 25, 2014 at 09:45 AM
Skirball

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Cheap, effective optical slave? YN560 I/II/III??

Or you could just get an optical peanut, for any flashes with PC port:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/63118-REG/Wein_W940001_PN_Peanut_Slave_100.html

Edit: nevermind, re-read the OP and remembered he's looking at buying a new flash.

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:59 PM
hvu2012
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Cheap, effective optical slave? YN560 I/II/III??

i just bought 560 IV and 560 TX. They're on the way...and i hope it works well. I only use manual.

Nov 30, 2014 at 09:10 PM
ryanmaderic

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Cheap, effective optical slave? YN560 I/II/III??

I sent a message to Pocket Wizard and they said it will not work (and I tried but never got it to work either). They operate on different frequencies. I ended up purchasing a FlexTT5 to compliment my MiniTT1. My older Pocket Wizards work just fine too.

Dec 01, 2014 at 02:05 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.