Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Games with chocolate milk....

AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Games with chocolate milk....

Recently a local dairy introduced a nice, somewhat up-scale version of chocolate milk. It suddenly took Auckland by storm. Sold-out almost everywhere and folks seeking it high and low. Got so silly they had to guard shipments! Got myself some to compare to homemade chocolate milk. I took a few shots just for grins. Playing with an image I made one I may add to my "Ordinary things" series:

Oct 23, 2014 at 11:37 PM
FarmerJohn
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Games with chocolate milk....

Looking forward to seeing what sort of light/shadow drama you can work with this one!

The nit for me is the bottle lining up with the glass. I think they should be separated a little bit. Or, to be a little more disconcerting, you could line up the bottle so the refraction makes the bottom of it disappear?

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:29 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Games with chocolate milk....

Actually, I like the way the curve of the glass refracts the bottom of the bottle into a sort of upside down hat shape and the three rings of the milk level line in the forward portion of the glass. Hope it looks fairly straight. Took a fair amount of fiddling to get to the posted version. (But I enjoy fiddling with 'em.)

For more grins, it started out as a quick grab shot to record the side-by-side comparison of home made versus factory made chocolate milk. Once I got a good look, I found part of the image interesting and worth playing with because of the refractions of the curved glass.

Here's more about the chocolate milk saga:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/10658840/Lewis-Road-tops-for-taste-and-sugar

Might ponder and re-stage it again. I confess I was having fun and don't take this stuff too seriously.

Here's a jpeg from the original if y'all want to play:

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:59 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Games with chocolate milk....

Hmmm.... Pondering further, perhaps a monochrome version?

Oct 24, 2014 at 03:02 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Games with chocolate milk....

I appreciate the "refraction play" (particularly noting it intentional for the three tier) ... but it might be an acquired taste for some. The mono I think lends more graphic vibe to the graphic elements of three tier presentation.

Then again, I suppose we should expect a Kiwi to be smitten by an "upside down hat".
(Sorry, couldn't resist the play @ down under.)

Oct 24, 2014 at 06:57 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Games with chocolate milk....

IMO the mono version completely changes the image around to one that I find much more interesting.

In both shots I really like the countertop being refracted in the glass.

Karen, I quite enjoy your "everyday things" posts.

Cheers,

Jeff

Oct 24, 2014 at 08:59 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Games with chocolate milk....

first is best IMO and technically flawless as usual.

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:52 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Games with chocolate milk....

Thanks, guys!

My thinking, FWIW: I liked warm rich hue of the chocolate milk, I suppose because it taps into my appreciation of chocolate. But after I'd pondered it a while I realized what appealed to me when I first examined the image was the way the shape of the glass bent and refracted the light and the way it made patterns and shapes. After my color version I eventually realized I could increase the abstraction of the shapes by switching to black and white and by warm toning the black and white, some of the tint based appeal of the color version could be preserved.

Oct 24, 2014 at 03:47 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Games with chocolate milk....

I could totally see this shot used for an ad.

Jeff

Oct 24, 2014 at 05:18 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.