New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Patagonia (Argentina + Chile) Advice Needed

thebeginning
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Patagonia (Argentina + Chile) Advice Needed

Hey all,

Anyone have suggestions for best vantage points for landscape and nature shooting (or any shooting really) in Patagonia? I'll be there for a few weeks in February and am trying to plan out some sort of route.

Thanks!

Oct 23, 2014 at 04:26 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Patagonia (Argentina + Chile) Advice Needed

I am hoping to get to Iceland next year and Patagonia soon after that - and what is the most fascinating aspect for me is the unknown. Just exploring around in the wilderness is so appealing to me. You could go to 500px and search for Patagonia images. Google Earth also will render some results.

Just get an outline of a plan and then just explore! I know I am going to do that with Iceland, as I hope to have 90 hours vacation when I visit

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:40 PM
thebeginning
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Patagonia (Argentina + Chile) Advice Needed

That's a great way to explore Iceland, but Patagonia is over ten times larger so I'll probably have to plan out a bit more, haha

Oct 25, 2014 at 01:18 AM
JohnC
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Patagonia (Argentina + Chile) Advice Needed

I did Patagonia in the spring (their fall).
El Calafate you have to fly from Buenos Aires:
You can rent a car to drive to these places or go to one of the adventure outfitters and get a guide and driver, dollar is strong and you can negotiate:
Jumping off point for El Cheltan (Fitz Roy and Viedma Glacier)
Perrito Moreno Glacier, El Calafate itself
From here you can rent a car and drive over to the Chilean side of Torres del Paine. You can do parts of the famous W trek or just park at one of the turnouts. We flew to Ushuaia from El Calafate and toured Tierrra del Fuego then did a ship tour of Beagle Channel, Cape Horn, Agostini Sound and Magellan Straits. I was more or less on vacation with my girlfriend so wasn't specifically photo oriented.

Oct 25, 2014 at 05:07 PM
thebeginning
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Patagonia (Argentina + Chile) Advice Needed

I'll be starting from Ushuaia actually, and ending up in BA.

How hard is it do rent a car and go between Argentina and Chile? I definitely want to visit Santiago in Chile, and want to see both the Fitz Roy range and Torres Del Paine.

Oct 25, 2014 at 08:14 PM
Markus L
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Patagonia (Argentina + Chile) Advice Needed

I was in Patagonia last February. We flew into Santiago, then flew to Punta Arenas. Took a bus to Puerto Natales, where we did the W trek in Torres del Paine, which is a must see/do. After returning to Puerto Natales we took a bus to El Calafate then onto El Chalten, which is definitely also a must see. I wish I had spent more time here. I did a 5 day climb (didn't summit), and then left the next day. I probably could have spent at least 2 weeks in El Chalten by itself.

After El Chalten we returned to El Calafate, did Perito Mereno, then flew to Ushuaia. Hiked a bit in Tierra del Fuego, then flew to Buenos Aires, bused to Mendoza then finished in Santiago.

El Chalten was my favourite place for sure, Torres del Paine was really nice as well, but a little too crowded for my liking.

Nov 08, 2014 at 01:32 AM
byteseller
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Patagonia (Argentina + Chile) Advice Needed

If you want to get off the beaten path a bit, I would read up and if it interested you, try and visit the Cordillera Darwin and the Cochamo area (called for obvious reasons South Americas Yosemite).

The former is hard to access but the views are absolutely spectacular (weather allowing) while the later is much easier to get to (and weather is more forgiving) but is still largely "undiscovered".

Nov 13, 2014 at 04:30 PM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Patagonia (Argentina + Chile) Advice Needed

Not counting the initial trip down what does rentals, lodging (if available) and flights cost once you are there? Also, I am assuming English isn't spoken - Spanish? Which, I don't speak... lol

Nov 24, 2014 at 05:53 PM
JohnC
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Patagonia (Argentina + Chile) Advice Needed

Language wasn't a problem but some familiarity with Spanish is helpful.
Hotels run the gamut from cheap hostels to super high end hotels but unless you go off peak you should book in advance if you go in their high season (late December through early March). Some of the iconic areas don't have many options as to lodging. Argentina side can be reasonable if you have cash (dollars) and willing to negotiate. Chile is expensive (less favorable exchange). Flights and cars need to be booked ahead and cost about average for anywhere in the developed world.

Nov 25, 2014 at 07:13 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.