New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · DXO scores D750 at 93

thedruid
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DXO scores D750 at 93

For those who care about this scoring system DXO gives D750 a score of 93, some people may be surprised.

Oct 23, 2014 at 01:05 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DXO scores D750 at 93

14.5 ev dynamic range not terrible at all. looks nice I know some people hate DXO mainly people that shoot canon lol

Oct 23, 2014 at 01:12 PM
Albino_BlacMan
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DXO scores D750 at 93

Looks like the same sensor as the 610 when you compare the numbers side by side

Oct 23, 2014 at 01:18 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · DXO scores D750 at 93

Albino_BlacMan wrote:
Looks like the same sensor as the 610 when you compare the numbers side by side

The composite DxO numbers don't mean much - they're based on a certain cutoff weighting that doesn't reflect actual low-light performance in use. The individual graphs, particularly the High ISO DR, will tell a more complete story.

Oct 23, 2014 at 01:33 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · DXO scores D750 at 93

The D750 graphs are up. A 0.20EV improvement in High ISO DR for the D750, plus the purple amp-noise reduction which isn't capture in DxO's tests.

Oct 24, 2014 at 10:10 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · DXO scores D750 at 93

thedruid wrote:
For those who care about this scoring system DXO gives D750 a score of 93, some people may be surprised.

Some people would be surprised which way? That the score should have been higher or lower?

I am not surprised that it has a high quality sensor, it's what Nikon has been doing for years now.

Jim

Oct 24, 2014 at 02:57 PM
JHerr
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · DXO scores D750 at 93

Everytime someone says Amp glow, everyone take a drink!

No but for real that is good.

Oct 24, 2014 at 03:32 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · DXO scores D750 at 93

From what I can tell, Snapsy is the smartest guy on this forum. So he's looking at graphs most of us don't know exist to make more sense out of the score. But I think that just ads to the whole problem that is DXO. A few months from now someone is going to tell you the D800 and D750 and D810 are all the same at 6400. Just based on what I've seen here the 750 is better than both and the 810 is better than the 800 at 6400. But DXO doesn't reflect that.

It's just frustrating because people tend to look at DXO like it's the Vatican of photography. Very few people are going to dig deeper. They're just going to see the score and come to the wrong conclusion.

What do you guys think?

Edit: DXO does this with lenses too. And you'll have some guy tell you the 58 or 85 1.4G is trash on an 800e. But both are actually stunning! But that's not what DXO suggests.

Oct 24, 2014 at 04:56 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · DXO scores D750 at 93

ohsnaphappy wrote:
From what I can tell, Snapsy is the smartest guy on this forum. So he's looking at graphs most of us don't know exist to make more sense out of the score. But I think that just ads to the whole problem that is DXO. A few months from now someone is going to tell you the D800 and D750 and D810 are all the same at 6400. Just based on what I've seen here the 750 is better than both and the 810 is better than the 800 at 6400. But DXO doesn't reflect that.

It's just frustrating because
...Show more

Dxo DOES support that. Look at the dynamic range graph in the comparison tool.

And for the record, snapsy is also a really nice guy.

Oct 24, 2014 at 06:14 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · DXO scores D750 at 93

ohsnaphappy wrote:

It's just frustrating because
...Show more

DxO's noise measurements are generally accurate and have been verified by independent posters on dpreview who perform their own analytic noise evaluation. The problem is DxO does only quantitative noise measurements, overlooking subjective and intermittent factors like banding, amp noise, and impulse noise (the ugly "salt and pepper" noise that affected prior generations of sensors like the 5DM1/5DM2). For the D750 it appears the amp noise common to previous FF Exmor sensors has been resolved, at least in the few samples I've seen - that makes a big difference in the subjective quality of images at ISO 6400 and above and is not accounted for in the DxO numbers. Also, as good as the D3s is it suffers from banding in deep shadows starting at around ISO 25,600.

As for DxO's lens tests and their perceptual MP stuff, it's a complete black box that nobody really understands (myself included).

Oct 24, 2014 at 06:44 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · DXO scores D750 at 93

SloPhoto wrote:
Dxo DOES support that. Look at the dynamic range graph in the comparison tool.

And for the record, snapsy is also a really nice guy.

You caught me on a good day when we traded cameras Hope you're doing well Joe!

Oct 24, 2014 at 06:45 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.