Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2014 · Secret Vista

ArturS
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Secret Vista

Congratulations to ArturS for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 14 votes - View Previous Winners

Not many of you know that my most recent photo-adventure tour took me to the Baffin Island, Nunavut, Canada. Baffin Island is located in the Canadian Arctic. I trekked in the Auyuittug National Park for 2 weeks and for the whole time I was the only human there. Auyuittug in the local Inuit language means: land that never melts. There is a reason for that
During these 2 weeks I hiked from the edge of the sea to the middle of the island covered by the ice cap. My 200km route allowed me to venture through a gigantic valley surrounded by monumental peaks with world largest vertical granite cliffs.
While witnessing the arctic landscape change from fall to winter, I also experienced the most impressive aurora displays I have ever seen.
This photo that I called “Secret Vista” is somewhat special to me because it marks a half way of my trek. I took it at the edge of the glacier, which I explored for 5 days plowing my way through 30 centimeters of snow. As soon as I stepped off the glacier I turned around and noticed few glacier caves. I decided to explore one of them. The moment I entered it, I noticed that the icy cold interior of the cave itself perfectly complemented the warm, soft evening light of the mountain view outside.
To execute this photo idea, I set up my tripod, got the gear ready, started to look through the viewfinder and all I could see was a blurred view. I realized that coming from the warmer exterior into the freezing cold and humid ice cave created the layer of fog on my lens that froze instantly. So I had to wait about 20 minutes to make it operational, again.

6 images focused blended for DOF. Nikon D810 @ 24mm ISO 64. Five images for cave f/11 one image for landscape f/5.6

Secret Vista

Edited on Oct 26, 2014 at 12:18 PM · View previous versions

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:33 PM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Secret Vista

Artur,

Wow, this photo is insane! Beautifully processed and so sharp front to back.

Jason

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:36 PM
Markus L
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Secret Vista

That's an amazing shot Artur, that ice cave looks really cool. Baffin Island is high on my list of places I want to travel, I'm quite jealous. Looking forward to seeing more shots from your trip!

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:48 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Secret Vista

Beautiful image. Is this image a composite of multiple shots to get that terrific DOF?

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:11 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Secret Vista

Quite a nice image. This likely will remain a "secret" spot as its sounds like not too many humans get up there.

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:19 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Secret Vista

Outstanding!!! and what a trip!
Keith W.

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:39 PM
mabidally
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Secret Vista

I just love your storyline and wow what a great adventure trip that was. It must have been a deeply meditative experience. The photo your posting is superb too, it gives a beautiful snapshot of the environment and the story makes it all the more interesting.

Oct 23, 2014 at 01:23 AM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Secret Vista

Dang!
This is an awesome view.
I almost expect to see some Kryptonite!

Thanks for posting
Dan

Oct 23, 2014 at 01:29 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Secret Vista

Hey Artur,

Wow... just simply wow! Love this shot, and I appreciate the write up along with it. Enjoyable to read and to view.

Jim

Oct 23, 2014 at 03:39 AM
CDalessandro
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Secret Vista

WOW!! Amazing shot...everything about it is WOW!

Oct 23, 2014 at 07:55 AM
gnwatts

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Secret Vista

Beautiful image and description.

Oct 23, 2014 at 08:19 AM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Secret Vista

Freaking fantastic Artur. You are truly gifted as a photographer and blessed to be able to ability to travel as you do. Looking forward to seeing more.

Oct 23, 2014 at 08:25 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Secret Vista

Well done Artur! Very unique shot and I love the icicles hanging down from the top...

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:03 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Secret Vista

Excellent as usual Artur!!

The small details like the icicles make the shot, plus your adventure story.

See many wild animals there?

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:11 AM
big_fish
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Secret Vista

Artur,
Auyuittug NP is such a beautiful place. Did you go south to north, starting in Pang? I've spent a bunch of time in the eastern baffin region and it's like nowhere else on earth and the people in Pangnirtung are incredibly friendly. I'm sure you have plenty of other photos that we eagerly await

-Neil

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:15 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Secret Vista

Just a fantastic composition Artur!!!! Just so magnanimous a perspective!!
OUTSTANDING!
Dan

Edited on Oct 23, 2014 at 01:55 PM · View previous versions

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:21 AM
can0nfan2379
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Secret Vista

What an awesome picture, I love the framing, the colours. the scene, everything about it. Stunning!!!

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:40 AM
can0nfan2379
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Secret Vista

What's the EXIF for this shot?

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:41 AM
MajeedB
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Secret Vista

This is one of my favorite shots of the year. You handled the light nicely. The way you framed the objects in the distance leaves something to the imagination and there is plenty of room for all elements to convey the story of warm and cold. A really great perspective and good processing to boot.

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:49 AM
JohnC
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Secret Vista

What a great image. I have some ice cave shots but without any background reference they ended up being just texture. Well done, it's quite slippery in there.

Oct 23, 2014 at 11:40 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.