New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Solar Eclipse

kezeka
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Solar Eclipse

Just a reminder that at around 5pm central time tomorrow (10/23) north america is getting a view of the partial solar eclipse. Anyone else planning on taking photos? I am gunning for a time lapse using a 70-200 with a CP filter on the front since I don't have any ND filters laying around.

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:17 PM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Solar Eclipse

Be sure to frame and focus with live view, because direct viewing of the sun can damage your eyes. Most photographic filters pass a lot of UV, and that is a leading cause of serious eye damage. A real solar filter is about a 15 stop filter, and is carefully made to handle the heat of the sun, and control all wavelengths, including the dangerous UV band.

A time lapse is an interesting approach, but the sun appears to move a fair ways over the roughly 4 hours of the eclipse, so keep that in mind.

A very large sunspot is currently visible on the face of the sun, and should show up well in telephoto photographs if you get the exposure right, unless it also becomes eclipsed.

If I can find clear weather, my photographs will be taken with a telescope and a solar filter made for viewing and photographing the sun. I am hoping for good detail of the sunspot to make the image quite interesting.

Oct 23, 2014 at 03:04 AM
voltaire
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Solar Eclipse

I will be using a solar filter for this eclipse which I purchased a few years back for the annular eclipse. Please make sure that your eyes and your camera's sensor are properly protected especially if it is just a partial eclipse.

I might be wrong but I am not certain that a CP will be able to cut the amount of light if you shoot directly at the sun. I cut and pasted the info from Orion Telescopes.

http://www.telescope.com/Accessories/Telescope-Eyepiece-Filters/Orion-Full-Aperture-Glass-Telescope-Solar-Filters/pc/-1/c/3/sc/48/e/4.uts

Oct 23, 2014 at 06:26 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.