New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Do You Ever

beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do You Ever

Like a photo for no particularly good reason?

I've got this one that stands out to me, but I'm not sure why.

It doesn't tell a story. It's not a unique perspective. I'm not even sure if it was captured well!

But I look at it and it just feels kinda right.

Here's to rambling!

Cheers,

Jeff

Oct 22, 2014 at 08:54 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do You Ever

Is that an E2C Hawkeye?

Oct 22, 2014 at 09:42 PM
lylejk
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do You Ever

Based on the top dish, it has to be an AWACS right.

Oct 22, 2014 at 09:54 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do You Ever

beavens wrote:
It doesn't tell a story.

I'd totally disagree.

Anybody that's lived this environment can read it like a book.

It's just written in a language that might be relatively few who are versed to know how to read its conveyance (or cast of characters) in the subject matter. But, obviously you've got at least three already who know the language, also.

Add to that, much goodness with an excellent use of lines, shapes, tones, framing, etc. ... it is a fine story indeed.

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:01 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do You Ever

Howard/Lyle, it's an E-1B Tracer, predecessor to the E-2.

Thanks Kent - really psyched to hear you dig it!

Jeff

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:42 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Do You Ever

To answer your question, absolutely yes, I take an occasional photo that I really like in spite of this or that technical or other problem. It would be fun to see a thread of such photos, and I bet none of them are as un-whatever as their OP thinks!

Thanks for posting and the great idea.

keith

Oct 24, 2014 at 08:48 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Do You Ever

+1 on that!

Oct 25, 2014 at 07:16 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Do You Ever

Sometimes I like something about a scene and only later figure out what in the scene appealed to my subconscious. Consider my chocolate milk image. I made up some chocolate milk to compare it to a store brand. When I saw the two poured into glasses for taste testing, I suddenly wanted to capture it in an image. I wasn't aware why. It was just something I liked about the way it looked on the counter. Later, when I pondered *why* I liked the scene, I realized what I liked about it and selected the portion that appealed to my eye and tweaked and revised it to maximize what I liked about the original scene. It helps to understand what appeals to you in a scene before you capture it. That way you can optimize how you frame and compose the image. Unfortunately, I can't always figure out the why until later. If that happens to you, my only suggestion is to make as many images as you can, close and far and leave space to crop later when your subconscious eventually allows the idea to bubble to the surface. Sometimes I review old work to see whether my subconscious is finally ready to comment on one.

In a similar vein, sometimes I don't critique an image here because I can't put my finger on why I like an image or what works and what doesn't. Sometimes I can put my finger on it later, maybe a day or two or three. Sometimes I can't.

Oct 25, 2014 at 03:04 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.