FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Boulder Beach - Acadia National Park

JimKied
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Boulder Beach - Acadia National Park

We went to Acadia National Park a couple of weeks ago. It was a fun trip, replete with little adventures, including me getting one of the worse cases of poison ivy I've ever had. Seems to be a little trend going on here and one I need to reverse.

We hit the area about peak color and it was definitely beautiful. One slightly disappointing thing - it had been dry up there so all the streams and brooks were dry - very little if any water running at all. So we focused more on coastal things.

A couple of other things I learned that I did not know. One is that three full size cruise ships visit Bar Harbor EVERY DAY (at least during fall foliage season). This provided a MASSIVE influx of people there, which kinda made it hard to take images sometimes. Another was the fact that I think every landscape photographer from thousands of miles around decided to visit Acadia at the same time we did. I think there was probably 100s of millions of dollars in photography equipment walking around the area. Some photogs were carrying two camera bodies with lenses, much like you see at a wedding. It was very impressive, and I felt a little um, ah, inadequate sometimes. I think my wife may need to buy me another camera............

For example, these two images were taken at an area called boulder beach. What you can't see is the fact that there were at lest 25 other photographers all around me. There was a row in front closer to the rocks jutting out on the left, which is where I wanted to be. I was in a row of about 7 a little further back, and one was actually standing in the water line. I struggled to get any kind of composition in the only area available to me, but surprisingly those cruise ships helped. This is at sunrise and the ships come in early in the morning. The sea was pretty flat, but I was able to catch the ship wake coming in from one of the ships. This provided what little drama I was able to get out of the water. The sun was nicely lighting up the boulders and all of their colors (mostly granite, worn from the sea crashing on them - Acadia has various shades of pink granite, some green ones, and assorted other colors). OH, and that photog that was standing in the water line? He was totally soaked when the wake waves came in. We all got a chuckle out of that. He saved his camera though. Hope you enjoy them!! And as always, I appreciate any suggestions for improvement.

© JimKied 2014

© JimKied 2014

Oct 22, 2014 at 06:46 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Boulder Beach - Acadia National Park

Hey Jim,

Both are cool shots, maybe #1 is a little better for me because I like that little spalsh, but both are nice. My only thought would be to crop off the top 50% of the sky. I don't think it adds anything to it. It might make your shots more of a pano format, but I think it would make these even stronger.

Jim

Oct 22, 2014 at 07:15 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Boulder Beach - Acadia National Park

like #1 as it has more colors in the sky

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:27 PM
lawa222
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Boulder Beach - Acadia National Park

Like #2 better for the extra rocks, which have a really nice reflection and shine.

Oct 23, 2014 at 12:05 AM
Chaz
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Boulder Beach - Acadia National Park

Nice, but can you post a shot of the peak color despite dry stream conditions?

Oct 23, 2014 at 12:38 AM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Boulder Beach - Acadia National Park

I appreciate the comments and I will try a pano crop. As for the fall colors, I will try to find something worthwhile to post. I had multiple brain farts whenever I tried a fall colors shot so I don't have much to show for it.

Oct 23, 2014 at 09:31 AM
can0nfan2379
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Boulder Beach - Acadia National Park

I like both of these shots, great colour.

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:44 AM
can0nfan2379
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Boulder Beach - Acadia National Park

I like both of these shots, great colour.

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:44 AM
tfoltz
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Boulder Beach - Acadia National Park

#2 for me, love the rocks

-Tim

Oct 23, 2014 at 08:46 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.