New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Wireless tether for D7000

dartheyeball
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wireless tether for D7000

I have been searching for the best way to use my D7000 or any of my dslrs wirelessly. I originally wanted to invest in a Eye-Fi SD Pro X2 SD card, so I could transmit images wirelessly from my D7k to laptop/tablet when I was doing work with clients. After spending hours reading about the pluses and minuses regarding the Eye-Fi and other wireless SD card offerings, I stumbled upon the Camranger Wireless DSLR setup. (http://camranger.com/) It was rather price @ $299. Further research yielded a most interesting discovery. The Camranger setup basically uses a TP-Link TL MR3040 Wireless N Router with different firmware installed.

As luck would have it, I stumbled upon the TP-Link TL MR3040 Wireless router on clearance at my local Walmart for $8. I snagged up the remaining 3 that they had in stock. Upgrading the firmware on the TP-Link Router will allow you to control a dslr via the USB cable, and you can transmit the images to your Mac/PC/tablet/Android device via qDSLRDashboard (http://dslrdashboard.info/) Using the tutorials and youtube videos, I was able to setup everything up. The software allows you to control your dslr wirelessly.

For $8 plus some free time, it was well worth the investment. I can use the Liveview function to record video or take images. I can also shoot with my D7k and send the images from the camera to laptop as well. I haven't tested the range as of yet, but so far I am impressed. I wanted to share this with you all just incase the info might prove useful to someone else searching for a wireless solution. I'll include the links to the videos and such below.

DSLRDashboard on TP-Link MR3040 Tutorial - Control your DSLR over Android WIFI

#t=691

DSLRDashboard
http://dslrdashboard.info/

TP-LINK TL-MR3040 wireless field monitor with DSLR controller
http://www.dslrfilmnoob.com/2013/12/11/tp-link-tl-mr3040-wireless-field-monitor-dslr-controller/

Auto Exposure/ISO Ramping with DslrDashboard and LRTimelapse
http://lrtimelapse.com/gear/dslrdashboard/

I also tested this on a Canon 50D and it worked with no issues. I'll have to try this out in the real world to see how it would do. So far I am satisfied.

TP-Link MR3040 Wireless N Routers

D7k Wireless setup w/TP Link TL-MR3040

Oct 22, 2014 at 04:38 PM
sgilbert1967
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wireless tether for D7000

Thanks for this post, I've used it before BUT at that time they didn't have the windows app for wireless which is what I really needed....I was browsing for info on the d750 and came across this thanks! !

Oct 24, 2014 at 01:32 PM
480sparky
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wireless tether for D7000

Here's a video I did of DSRL Dashboard:

Oct 24, 2014 at 02:35 PM
sgilbert1967
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wireless tether for D7000

With the tplink I did a d800e 14bit raw lossy ( 24mb) in about 25 seconds and 12 feet earlier just fyi....

Oct 24, 2014 at 04:22 PM
dartheyeball
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wireless tether for D7000

The setup has lots of potential. I can't wait to try it out in the field!

Oct 26, 2014 at 04:49 PM
Chris S.
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wireless tether for D7000

dartheyeball,

Thanks for this post. (And 480sparky, thanks for your video!)

I've been thinking of doing something like this. A question: Does the TP-LINK MR3040 simply take the place of Nikon's WU-1A/WU-1B units (which are not compatible with for all Nikon cameras)? If this is the case, does it expand the range of the NIkon WU units, and provide compatibility with a greater variety of Nikon bodies? I realize that it costs a bit less, but is much larger than the WU's, and involves meddlesome cords. Anything other advantages?

I don't begrudge the CamRanger folks the price of their unit (a small enough price that, given the limited number of units likely to sell, the founders will be lucky to make a living--and will certainly not rich). Nor do I object to their approach of starting with a standard electronic component and creating customer firmware and other software layers that make it solve our problems. This simply makes good sense. CamRanger is offering a turn-key approach for those who want it. I wish them success. We need to be supportive of folks who work with photographers to serve our needs at reasonable cost.

But a DIY approach is appealing to me. So I appreciate the information in this thread.

--Chris

Oct 27, 2014 at 12:13 AM
dartheyeball
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wireless tether for D7000

From what I have gathered in my research, this can take the place the WU-1A/WU-1B units. It does have a greater range as well. Some have compared it to the Nikon WT‑4A. I have never used the Nikon offering, so I don't know. I got a great deal on these routers, so I have no complaints. For $8 and bit of hacking, I have perfectly usable wireless transmitters that are far more reliable than the Eye-FI units. Of course there is always downsides (ie dslrdashboard can be buggy and slow at times) but it is a workable solution for me. People have used this with the D800, D3, and D7100 as well. I have personally tested it with my D7k and Canon 50D and it worked with no issues.

Oct 28, 2014 at 07:36 AM
kaplah
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wireless tether for D7000

dartheyeball wrote:
I wanted to share this with you all just incase the info might prove useful to someone else searching for a wireless solution.

Thanks for that. My MR3040 has been here for a few days only, but already I can shoot wirelessly with my D3X and D7000. The D7000 has an Eye-Fi card, which works, but has decided to no longer be recognized by my workstation, so I can't re-program it. It's pointed at my tablet, so if I want to use it for my laptop, not happening. And the MR3040 is a lot faster, too. NEFs are practical with it.

For the D3X, the alternative is a $1000 Nikon unit (list price for a WT-4A). Or maybe a CamRanger, but that's pricey too.

Dec 04, 2014 at 10:04 PM
shotbythom

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wireless tether for D7000

Does this work for Nikon though,

everything i have seen only works for canon

May 19, 2015 at 08:14 PM
kaplah
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wireless tether for D7000

kaplah wrote:
[...]but already I can shoot wirelessly with my D3X and D7000. [...]

---------------------------------------------

shotbythom wrote:
Does this work for Nikon though,

everything i have seen only works for canon

D3X and D7000 are Nikons. So yes. DSLRDashboard has a button for Nikon, Canon, and Sony.

May 19, 2015 at 09:19 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.