Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Enchanting Light

Justin Grimm
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Enchanting Light

After driving and hiking what seemed like countless miles over 2 weeks without getting a shot, we finally got the sunrise of all sunrises overlooking the Enchantment Lakes in Washington. As you can imagine, we were screaming as the light was exploding around us. After all the effort put in before, moment likes these when perfect seasonal conditions, epic light, and an amazing location all come together makes it worthwhile.

www.justingrimmphotography.com

If you don't know this already, since the middle of September I have been job-free, allowing me to travel where I please in search of amazing locations and photographs. I am even fortunate enough to be teaching photography lessons while I am at home recuperating from hikes, and I can't wait for the two private workshops I will be leading out to some of my favourite locations in the Rocky Mountains next month. The end of this year will be good!

I have many other photography goals for the next few months, however chasing weather and fall conditions was the first adventure on my to-do list. I found myself teaming up with the talented Australian photographer Matthew Hahnel for the first 3 weeks of my journey, and I couldn't have asked for better company. The crazy thing is, before picking him up at the airport we had only ever spoken over online forums and Facebook. The internet and the people in this hobby are just incredible. Some of my very best friends and people I have most in common with have been met here on FM and 500px. Personally I'm just amazed someone could spend 3 weeks straight with me, without as much as a hiccup.

These first 3 weeks were filled with driving back and forth between Canada and the US, as we tried our very best to predict weather patterns, fall conditions and epic light. We started in Calgary, then up to Jasper, to Banff, then down to Glacier, over halfway to the oregon coast, then back up to Assiniboine, through the rockies and over to Mt Baker, and finally over to the Enchantments trailhead. After all this, we got epic light alright.....Mainly from the from the fronts seats of my Subaru as we drove from one location to the next. There is something amazing about witnessing rare weather and light, but when you don't have a camera and composition on hand it really just makes me want to jump out of the moving vehicle. I love nature and discovering new areas just as much as the next person, but I always want to bring back the memory of these places in spectacular form for others to see also.

In any case, after all the driving, witnessing epic sunsets from the car, hiking over 35kms in a day only to get skunked with rain, and then acting as pack mules to get all our gear and food up to this larch heaven for a 5 day camping trip, Matthew and I finally got our "OMG" moment. The photograph hardly does this sunrise and view any justice, but I hope the image and short story gives you a small sense of just how great it felt to finally capture something rare and spectacular!

Thanks for looking and reading! I can't wait to share some of my other images from the last month, and Im sure there will be some amazing stuff coming on the horizon

Oct 22, 2014 at 04:35 PM
briancphoto
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Enchanting Light

Amazing light. That place is on my to do list. I keep trying but haven't scored a permit yet. Did you get a permit or just go after the permit period ends?
Best of luck on your "time off". Keep sending out the great shots. Cheers Brian

Oct 22, 2014 at 05:41 PM
pike40
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Enchanting Light

Really like this Justin, the light is wonderful.

Mike

Oct 22, 2014 at 06:36 PM
deepjay
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Enchanting Light

Justin,
A lovely shot, great scenery. But, the rocks in the foreground are so bright they are distracting.
David

Oct 22, 2014 at 06:42 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Enchanting Light

Oh, wow! Saw this on FB first and came here hoping you'd post it so I could see it larger. This is sweet, Justin!

I'm also jealous that you getting to live your dream....wish I was 25 years younger myself! Keep posting your stories and adventures....I can live vicariously thru you!

Oct 22, 2014 at 06:46 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Enchanting Light

briancphoto wrote:
Amazing light. That place is on my to do list. I keep trying but haven't scored a permit yet. Did you get a permit or just go after the permit period ends?
Best of luck on your "time off". Keep sending out the great shots. Cheers Brian

Thanks! Matthew ended up winning a pass using the lottery system. Luckily our trip was booked for the absolute perfect time when all the larches were in prime.

Oct 22, 2014 at 08:38 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Enchanting Light

It got my vote Justin. Greatly composed with sweet backlighting.
Fred

Oct 22, 2014 at 09:27 PM
wswartzwel
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Enchanting Light

Wow. You never fail to impress me with your talent. Really nice processing on this one.

Oct 22, 2014 at 09:44 PM
Markus L
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Enchanting Light

That's a beautiful sunrise! Sounds like an awesome trip too!

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:04 PM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Enchanting Light

Justin,

I'm glad to hear you're a working pro now. You are certainly very talented. If I ever make it up to Alberta, I may have to hit you up for a workshop at Abraham lake for the ice bubbles :P

When I first saw your photo on my iphone I thought the foreground was really bright but at home on my calibrated monitor I think its just right. Based on the suns position and the foreground area, it's gotta be blasted with some intense light. I think you honed it really well.

anyways, your photos are always a treat.

Jason

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:20 PM
matthewsaville
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Enchanting Light

Wow, what a gorgeous sight! Absolutely worth the hike, and I hope I can visit there some day.

This might sound crazy, but a suggestion that came to mind is something that I personally find to be a slight annoyance sometimes: Have you ever given any thought to blending in an exposure that is shot at a faster aperture, to get LESS sunburst effect? The beams that jut down into the scene, but are basically non-existent on the sides and above the sun, are somewhat distracting because they simply look like 1/4 of a pie chart. And when I imagine the beams not being there, (such as in your recent Horseshoe bend image) ...I do feel I'd like the image better.

Overall of course, absolutely killer!

=Matt=

Oct 23, 2014 at 03:49 AM
TeddyAllen

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Enchanting Light

Stunning scenario you captured there, Justin!
What an amazing ray of sunlight, just simply fall in love with the harmony of nature.

Edited on Oct 26, 2014 at 07:15 AM · View previous versions

Oct 23, 2014 at 07:12 AM
mabidally
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Enchanting Light

Absolutely gorgeous, everything comes together perfectly.

Oct 23, 2014 at 11:32 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Enchanting Light

Beautiful!

Oct 23, 2014 at 11:43 AM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Enchanting Light

"Sick" and "dope" immediately came to mind when I first viewed the image. The short story makes this image all the more sweeter.

-Nick

Oct 23, 2014 at 11:55 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Enchanting Light

Love it Justin! I like how the larch trees are backlit showing the beautiful yellow color. I imagine there is a lot of wildlife in this area?

Oct 23, 2014 at 11:56 AM
HighConcept

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Enchanting Light

Nice color palette. Values in this image range a wide spectrum too. Brilliant.

Oct 23, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Enchanting Light

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments. I'm an getting ready to hit the road again so I will reply in more detail when I have time.

Gary Clennan wrote:
Love it Justin! I like how the larch trees are backlit showing the beautiful yellow color. I imagine there is a lot of wildlife in this area?

Thanks Gary. This area is quite high up and at the top of the tree line, so the only wildlife we saw was mountain goats and some squirrels. The goats were quite awesome, and really enjoyed the early morning pees I took around camp

Oct 24, 2014 at 07:16 PM
tjny
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Enchanting Light

Stunning image with interesting details.

Oct 24, 2014 at 09:29 PM
skyraider6
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Enchanting Light

Kudos! I think you nailed it, IMHO, your sunburst horizon line ties in perfectly with the rock face at lower left.

Oct 24, 2014 at 10:03 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.