New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Continued problems with 10-18 STM

Kisutch
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Continued problems with 10-18 STM

I posted on here last summer about my 10-18 intermittently taking completely blurry pictures. Particularly after it wakes up from standby, the first image is completely soft, across the entire frame, like I applied a strong blur filter in Photoshop. The next images will be sharp, with the EXACT same camera parameters--the cam is on a tripod, IS off, manual exposure, manual focus, with taped ring so it doesn't move. Happens on both a 50D body and T3i body. The camera is being triggered with a wired remote by a micro-controller (it's for remote camera stuff). I have 4 other setups like this, with other lenses, and I've never had an issue.

I sent one of my 10-18's back to Canon and they returned it with some instructions about how to use autofocus. While Canon had it, my other copy of the 10-18 started doing the same thing. Now the lens they sent back to me (not sure if it's a new one) is doing the same thing.

Does anyone on here own a 10-18 STM and have you had any of the same issues?

Oct 21, 2014 at 07:30 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Continued problems with 10-18 STM

My EF 40 2.8 STM did that! I got so I took in-cameras duplicates since it often blew the first image. I figured that was just a STM thing and sold the darn thing. My new EF 35 2.0 IS USM nails the first image every time.

Oct 21, 2014 at 07:40 PM
RCADog

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Continued problems with 10-18 STM

I wonder if it is an STM thing, since it is focus by wire ? My wife shoots with the 40 STM, 18-55 STM as well as the 55-250 STM, and neither one have had this problem. We have the 10-18 STM on order, so will be able to test it then. She is shooting with a 650D, and soon, a used 7D. I wonder if maybe the older bodies are not quite 100% compatible with STM lenses ?

Oct 21, 2014 at 08:14 PM
Kisutch
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Continued problems with 10-18 STM

In a way it's good to hear I'm no the only one. I wish the 10-18 would work for me cause it's perfect for wide-angle remote photography--sharp, light, and cheap, but the soft photo thing is a serious deal breaker. I use it for camera traps where often the first shot you get is the best one--nothing worse than having it completely blurred out.

I'm gonna send both lenses back to Canon along with RAW files showing the issue. Hopefully they won't be so patronizing this time as to send me an instruction manual on how to use AI Servo.

RCADog--Hope the 10-18 works out better for you.

I just don't understand how the whole picture can get blurred out if the focus ring doesn't move. Mine is taped in place on manual focus, yet somehow shoots one blurred, the next sharp.

Oct 21, 2014 at 09:16 PM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Continued problems with 10-18 STM

Since it's blurred even on a tripod, it has to be something in the optical path. Even though you said you have AF disabled (I assume with the AF/MF switch on the lens) and IS off, one of those two things must be misbehaving.

If the lens had a focus distance window you would be able to see if that's moving even when in MF, but it doesn't look like the lens has that.

My bet would however be on the IS unit maybe being out of place on the first shot and then properly disengaging on subsequent shots. Maybe some lens firmware bug?

Kisutch wrote:
In a way it's good to hear I'm no the only one. I wish the 10-18 would work for me cause it's perfect for wide-angle remote photography--sharp, light, and cheap, but the soft photo thing is a serious deal breaker. I use it for camera traps where often the first shot you get is the best one--nothing worse than having it completely blurred out.

I'm gonna send both lenses back to Canon along with RAW files showing the issue. Hopefully they won't be so patronizing this time as to send me an instruction manual on how to use AI Servo.
...Show more

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:16 PM
jrhoffman75
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Continued problems with 10-18 STM

It's an STM thing. See page 4 of the 10-18 instruction manual.

Oct 22, 2014 at 07:30 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Continued problems with 10-18 STM

jrhoffman75 wrote:
It's an STM thing. See page 4 of the 10-18 instruction manual.

thats interesting .
so basically the focus element has reset after its been in sleep mode . you have to wait a second for this to happen .

not normally going to be an issue in normal use but I guess for the OP its a bit of a deal breaker .

Oct 22, 2014 at 07:36 AM
Mike Sowsun
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Continued problems with 10-18 STM

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
thats interesting .
so basically the focus element has reset after its been in sleep mode . you have to wait a second for this to happen .

not normally going to be an issue in normal use but I guess for the OP its a bit of a deal breaker .

Yes, STM lenses with their "focus-by-wire" characteristics are not suitable for the OP's use. It looks like he will have to find another lens to use.

Oct 22, 2014 at 08:52 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Continued problems with 10-18 STM

Thanks for the data, Mike!

Sounds awkward, especially for the older APS-C models listed (affecting both the OP's bodies).

Not a lens for fast response times after a period of inactivity or start-up.

Oct 22, 2014 at 09:09 AM
Kisutch
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Continued problems with 10-18 STM

Thanks so much for finding the solution. You just saved me a lot of trouble!

Knowing this information, I think I should be OK. In my case, I just need a two-sensor rig, where I can wake the camera up with a wide-angle sensor, then pause 1s, then take a picture if a narrow-beam sensor sees something. It's a pain, but probably worth it to be able to have a sharp, light, UWA lens for $300. PIR sensors cost ~$15, so not a big deal to add another.

I should have read the manual, but I'm also surprised the Canon guys on the phone couldn't tell me what was up when I described the problem.

Oct 22, 2014 at 09:23 AM
riokid
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Continued problems with 10-18 STM

I have not tried this but I am just wondering if you can set one of the custom function to: FOCUS PRIORITY instead of RELEASE PRIORITY

Edited on Oct 22, 2014 at 12:04 PM · View previous versions

Oct 22, 2014 at 09:48 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Continued problems with 10-18 STM

This is interesting, have to admit I just bought the 10-18 and didn't read the manual.

I haven't experienced the OP's issue, but then I always use a half depress of the release to wake the camera up before I shoot. I think this must wake the lens up.

I have found the 10-18 to be exceptional value and surprisingly sharp.

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:21 AM
RCADog

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Continued problems with 10-18 STM

This is very good to know. I didn't read the instruction manuals for the other STM lenses either (how complicated could they be to operate ?). I will have to let my wife know that she will have to wake the lenses up before she wants to quickly shoot anything.

Oct 22, 2014 at 06:13 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Continued problems with 10-18 STM

RCADog wrote:
This is very good to know. I didn't read the instruction manuals for the other STM lenses either (how complicated could they be to operate ?). I will have to let my wife know that she will have to wake the lenses up before she wants to quickly shoot anything.

If you're shooting normally, keeping the camera awake by regularly pressing the shutter button halfway is usually a good practice; similarly, pressing it halfway when bringing it up to compose helps too.

Unfortunately the OP can't do that .

Oct 22, 2014 at 06:22 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.