New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Differences Between Gitzo GT1542T and GT0542

glassartist
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Differences Between Gitzo GT1542T and GT0542

I've been looking at these two models as a lightweight travel tripod. I understand the difference in specs (height differences, support differences, G-lock and Ultra G-lock).

But the question is when would you choose one over the other?

The 0542 is a a bit heavier and supports a couple more pounds but the 1542 is smaller when collapsed. Is it simply that if one needs the smallest package (and the weight limit is not an issue) then the 1542 is the obvious choice? Or are there stability and construction issues that make the 0542 a better overall choice is the extra couple inches are not an issue?

Or am I just compulsively overthinking this (wouldn't be the first time)?

Thanks for any insights.

Oct 21, 2014 at 02:53 PM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Differences Between Gitzo GT1542T and GT0542

Sometimes for traveling, I need the smallest package possible. The 1542T folds a lot smaller, and sometimes, that's the difference between being able to travel with it or not. Otherwise, if that isn't a concern, I'd be much more inclined to use a full size 2- or 3- series pod.

I don't think the couple pounds of weight support rating makes much of a difference. I have a 1541T, and am very happy with it with a small RRS head.

And yes, DOTI - Don't Over Think It.

Get what works, and work with what you got. Why look at the 1/0 series? usually because of size and weight limitations. Then get whatever size will fit your needs (current or projected).

If you have no size or weight limitations, get a better support base - higher series, larger pods.

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:20 AM
glassartist
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Differences Between Gitzo GT1542T and GT0542

Thanks for the reply. That helps.

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:06 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.