New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Start from scratch

rpkwon
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Start from scratch

Background - I'm a photo hobbist and transitioning back to a DSLR with the D750. I tend to take photojournalistic style photos in available light.

Question - I'm torn between 2 lens set up. The primes would be the best bet to shoot in available light and I'm facinated with the 135 f2 DC. On the other hand with the ISO levels of the new bodies and capabilities of the D750 I feel the 24-70/2.8 can be a versitle, convenient, and very well capable lens, not that it isn't already without the newer bodies. I don't mind having lenses that I have to switch out nor having a heavy lens.

I know ultimately it's a matter of personal preference but I would still like to get the input of my fellow photogs to persuade me in one direction or the other.

Sorry in advance, I'm sure this has been discussed many a numerous of times.

Oct 21, 2014 at 02:42 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Start from scratch

The two options really aren't comparable. The prime setup gives up wide, while the zoom setup gives up any real reach.

I'd go for a 20/35/85 as a prime kit to match the zoom kit (Nikon lacks a really good 24 for less than $2K).

Also I'd probably skip the Nikkor 24-70 in favour of the Tamron with VC, it's almost as good optically, stabilized and much cheaper.

But frankly, of the two, I'd take the primes.

Oct 21, 2014 at 02:59 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Start from scratch

Why not get a used 135mm F2DC if you are fascinated and try it out? The rest of the kit will fall into place if it is a keeper.

Oct 21, 2014 at 03:22 PM
rpkwon
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Start from scratch

Thanks for your input mawz. Yeah one is sacrificing reach for the wide angle or vice versa, which ever way you look at it... I do plan on getting a wide angle lens with either one of these two setups later on down the line if I have the time to get back into landscapes.

The third party options are intriguing as well...whether it be the Sigma 35 1.4 or the Tamron 24-70 VC. But that's a whole new level of deliberation once I get my preferred setup nailed down.

Oct 21, 2014 at 03:26 PM
rpkwon
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Start from scratch

williamkazak wrote:
Why not get a used 135mm F2DC if you are fascinated and try it out? The rest of the kit will fall into place if it is a keeper.

Yeah, eventually I feel like the curiosity will get the best of me where I'd have to try the lens whether it be rent or buying. I've used and loved the 85/1.8g so that's what I'm trying to build on. Anything beyond that I go back and forth on.

Oct 21, 2014 at 03:32 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Start from scratch

lensrentals.com you can try the 135mm out and if you like it I think they set up where you can buy the one you're using if you don't want to return it lol

Oct 21, 2014 at 03:45 PM
jtra
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Start from scratch

My tip:
18-35G, 50, 85. That is what I have now (after my transition to FX). My primes are f/1.4 Sigmas, but f/1.8G Nikons are great as well.

Note that PJ with primes could mean you will have to have two bodies so you can switch to diffrerent angle of view quickly.

Oct 21, 2014 at 03:55 PM
j-photo

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Start from scratch

I have the 24-70 and use it when shooting events, usually along with an 80-200. 24-70 is a nice range for journalistic shooting, but I don't enjoy walking around with it due to its weight and bulk.

For the last couple years, I've been relying mostly on primes for my personal work. The single lens I use most is the 28/2.8. I really like that field of view. It's a lightweight, simple, sharp lens. As you know there are also some great choices at 35 mm. More recently I have started also carrying around the 105/2 DC--not that different from the 135 you say you want. It's a really fun lens to shoot, with a unique style.

I don't mind at all the restrictions that come with shooting primes--I like it. Another unexpected development is that since I started shooting primes, I have gradually found myself cropping images less in post processing. I think getting away from zooms has encouraged me to be more deliberate about my framing. Of course, this is all just my personal experience and opinion, but you did ask...

A shot taken yesterday with the 105:
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56483199/IANO_20141020_155429_DSC_7448-001.jpg

Oct 21, 2014 at 04:03 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Start from scratch

mawz wrote:
The two options really aren't comparable. The prime setup gives up wide, while the zoom setup gives up any real reach.

I'd go for a 20/35/85 as a prime kit to match the zoom kit (Nikon lacks a really good 24 for less than $2K).

Also I'd probably skip the Nikkor 24-70 in favour of the Tamron with VC, it's almost as good optically, stabilized and much cheaper.

But frankly, of the two, I'd take the primes.

I'd take the primes too- primarily because of the weight, but it's hard not to recommend Nikon's 24-120/4G in a kit.

But if a faster standard zoom is on order, I'd take Nikon's 24-70/2.8G over the Tamron if focus speed is a requirement!

Oct 21, 2014 at 04:14 PM
rpkwon
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Start from scratch

Good feedbacks. Thanks!

jtra - I honestly haven't given much thought into the 18-35mm cause I plan on getting a wide angle zoom later on down the line and there would be too much over lap with this lens.

Dpedraza - How can I forget about lensrental... thanks!

j-photo - the 105 DC was an early option but being set on getting the 85mm1/8g I feel that's too close in length and feel the 135 would suit me better. I do agree that the restrictions of the primes could be beneficial to the continued growth and development of the photog in terms of composition and deliberation. Great points.

Oct 21, 2014 at 04:35 PM
craigjohn
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Start from scratch

20/1.8, 35/1.8, 50/1.8, 85/1.8 then later on add the 135/2 DC or the 180/2.8ED for more reach.

Oct 21, 2014 at 04:37 PM
BrundinPhoto

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Start from scratch

The 24-70mm would cover most anything you need... I've used one (equivalent focal length) on my Pentax K5-IIs to cover some situations in horrendous lighting. My working limit for ISO is generally 5000 for color and 12,800 for B&W... with the D750 you will have much more latitude to bump your ISO. From Jared Polin's samples, ISO 8000 on the D750 looks like ISO 3200 on my Pentax.

I actually would recommend a complimentary lens to be either the 135mm f/2 or the 185mm f/2.8. It's nice to have reach when the 24-70mm doesn't cut it.

Oct 21, 2014 at 04:40 PM
j-photo

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Start from scratch

I've got the 85, but never really warmed up to it.

Oct 21, 2014 at 06:12 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Start from scratch

The thing about zooms is they are very fast in use. You aren't worried about missing shots because the wrong lens is on--you just flick your wrist and shoot.

Kent in SD

Oct 21, 2014 at 06:21 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Start from scratch

I just don't know how someone can tell you what lenses you should get. Just go with your gut feelings and buy them. You have used camera's in the past it sounds like, so only you would know if you want a zoom or fixed lens setup. You will be the one using the camera and shooting with the lenses. All of the lenses are quite capable, so it's person behind the camera that needs to decide.

Jim

Oct 21, 2014 at 06:24 PM
rpkwon
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Start from scratch

JimFox wrote:
I just don't know how someone can tell you what lenses you should get. Just go with your gut feelings and buy them. You have used camera's in the past it sounds like, so only you would know if you want a zoom or fixed lens setup. You will be the one using the camera and shooting with the lenses. All of the lenses are quite capable, so it's person behind the camera that needs to decide.

Jim

Very true. It's up to the person holding the camera. I've experienced my share of lenses on multiple systems and am comfortable with either a zoom or prime setup. They both have their pros and cons. Just wanting to get a feeler or better yet listen to some discussions to presuade me one way or the other.

I just went back through some of the more memorable/favorite pictures that I took and I must say two lenses kept on popping up, the 35mm and 135mm...but it was the Canon 35L and 135L... my pause is that I haven't used those focal lenghts on the Nikon system but thinking thats the way I'm leaning right now.

Some good arguments and points have been offered which are all much appreciated!

Oct 21, 2014 at 06:45 PM
nick53097
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Start from scratch

I am using D750 with Sigma 53 Art about 80%, the rest is Nikon 85mm f/1.8 G

Oct 21, 2014 at 08:22 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Start from scratch

I can't believe the 24-70/85 1.4 combo is winning I think the 85 is too close to 70mm, therefore it will not be my choice, and neither is the other option.

This is what I'd do.... 20 1.8G, 58 1.4G and 135/2 DC. That is a killer prime lens lineup IMO. You can substitute the 20 with the 28 or the 58 with the 85 and the 135 with the 70-200/4 if you need more reach or versatility.

Oct 22, 2014 at 02:22 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Start from scratch

85 is too short for outside but 24-70 is definitely better than swapping prime glass in in fog, wind, dust, rain or snow.

Oct 22, 2014 at 02:53 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Start from scratch

DontShoot wrote:
I can't believe the 24-70/85 1.4 combo is winning I think the 85 is too close to 70mm, therefore it will not be my choice, and neither is the other option.

Well, the 24-70/2.8G at 70mm won't get close to the look or IQ of a Nikon 85mm lens, so it makes a bit of sense to me; though the same can be said for the mentioned primes.

The bigger question will be specific application and focus speed, honestly. Nikon hasn't been as studious as Canon in implementing fast AF in their primes, so the pro zoom might offer the right tradeoff of image quality, flexibility, and the AF performance to get the shot.

Oct 22, 2014 at 04:26 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.