New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Suggestions for camera bag to hold long lens and camera attached

Wayne Ek
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Suggestions for camera bag to hold long lens and camera attached

Here is my problem. Most of my shooting involves short walks or shooting right from or outside my truck. The problem is 90% of the time I'm driving on gravel roads and the dust is usually terrible. I'm looking for a suggestion on a bag that will hold my camera and one long lens, with hood attached. The camera is a canon 1d mark IV, the lens is a 400mm with hood and an extender. I've got a small bag that works nicely for a second lens, battery and some cards. Tripod sits fully extender in back seat of truck. Just need a long bag to hold the camera and lens, so it's not constantly getting dusty.
Thanks-
Wayne

Oct 21, 2014 at 02:07 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Suggestions for camera bag to hold long lens and camera attached

Is that the 400/4 DO IS lens in your profile?

Assuming that it is, it has the same front diameter as my 300/2.8L IS. My 1DIV with 300/2.8L IS and hood in shooting position (no Extender) fits perfectly in my Kinesis E976 lens bag. It also fits with a 1.4x III Extender attached, but the top is kind of stretched to the limit when you zip it closed.

The 400/4 DO IS is 19mm (3/4") shorter than the 300/2.8L IS, but the 400 DO hood might be longer. My kit is 18 1/4" long with extender and 17 1/4" long without; to the flat, back of the body (i.e. not including the finder eyepiece). So, if your kit is shorter than 18 1/4", the E976 would be a nice solution.

Oct 21, 2014 at 03:38 PM
Wayne Ek
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Suggestions for camera bag to hold long lens and camera attached

I measured it with the 400 & hood on the other day, with a 1.4x extender and I think it was 18 3/8ths including eyepiece.

Oct 21, 2014 at 03:56 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Suggestions for camera bag to hold long lens and camera attached

You're in.

Oct 21, 2014 at 04:44 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Suggestions for camera bag to hold long lens and camera attached

The Tamrac 5793 should also work. My 1D4, 2X TC & 300 f2.8 L IS measure 20 - 20 1/8 inch in total length & fit with a bit to spare. (about 1 more inch without stretching the top flap area.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-i-fcSghzDUU/Uo__C-0UCXI/AAAAAAABKIk/wIvITCVnAKA/s1024/DSC_1814.JPG

Oct 21, 2014 at 07:02 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Suggestions for camera bag to hold long lens and camera attached

Hi Larry.

Your Tamrac has better access through its "front door". It's like my "Big Lens Case", but smaller.

The Kinesis E976 loads through the top, only. OTOH, the E976 is a lot more compact.

Oct 21, 2014 at 07:04 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Suggestions for camera bag to hold long lens and camera attached

Jim I like that bag for the way it fits & it was exactly what I was looking for. I didn't need it to do anything else other than protect what was inside & I don't intend to use it "backpack style". I put the Tamrac bag & contents inside a duffel bag which makes it look more like sports equipment than a valuable camera set up. I don't know how the 2 bags compare price wise but I'm quite happy with my choice because it fits my needs. Buying expensive lenses sure does create another need (& expense) in trying to carry & protect them.

Oct 21, 2014 at 09:29 PM
Wayne Ek
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Suggestions for camera bag to hold long lens and camera attached

Cicopo wrote:
Jim I like that bag for the way it fits & it was exactly what I was looking for. I didn't need it to do anything else other than protect what was inside & I don't intend to use it "backpack style". I put the Tamrac bag & contents inside a duffel bag which makes it look more like sports equipment than a valuable camera set up. I don't know how the 2 bags compare price wise but I'm quite happy with my choice because it fits my needs. Buying expensive lenses sure does create another need (& expense) in
...Show more

Amen to that!
Thanks all for the info.

Oct 22, 2014 at 12:15 PM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Suggestions for camera bag to hold long lens and camera attached

Another option, LensCoat 3Xpandable Long Lens Bag

http://www.naturescapes.net/store/lenscoat-3xpandable-long-lens-bag.html

I like the way it folds down when not in use, just ordered so I cannot say how it works yet.

Gerard

Oct 22, 2014 at 07:36 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.