New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Olympus E-M1 LCD/EVF on and off settings question

Michael H
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Olympus E-M1 LCD/EVF on and off settings question

Hoping someone here can help me figure this out. I'd like to go completely dark on the rear display and on the EVF when not using it.

I have figured out how to turn the rear display off completely, but the result of that is the EVF seems to stay on continuously.

With the rear display in what I would call normal operation, I can cycle through the info button and display buttons to reach a point where nothing is shown on the display. However, it doesn't really turn it off. Instead it just seems to stop showing anything besides a block screen. At night, there is still a glow from the "off" display which tells me they display is indeed still on with a black screen showing.

I'd ultimately like to truly turn the displays off until needed. Rear display off, EVF off until either the eye comes up or I'd even be willing to push a FN button or something to toggle it.

Does this make sense? Can I do this? I'm close, but now quite there.

Oct 21, 2014 at 01:43 PM
millsart
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Olympus E-M1 LCD/EVF on and off settings question

Short of a strip of gaffers tape across the LCD, I don't believe this is possible.

When set to not automatically switch, the EVF is going to stay powered on, until the camera goes to sleep.

Tape across the LCD would effectively solve your rather unusual issue though as the LCD would be on, but not visible, and then when you brought the camera to your eye, the EVF would switch on.

Oct 21, 2014 at 02:09 PM
MayaTlab
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Olympus E-M1 LCD/EVF on and off settings question

Your point makes absolute sense, I believe, for example, that this is something Fuji has implemented on their most recent cameras (but don't you switch just for that, they have other issues with EVF / LCD interaction).

It doesn't make any sense to me to keep the rear LCD on when it's set to display nothing.

Oct 21, 2014 at 02:20 PM
Michael H
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Olympus E-M1 LCD/EVF on and off settings question

MayaTlab wrote:
Your point makes absolute sense, I believe, for example, that this is something Fuji has implemented on their most recent cameras (but don't you switch just for that, they have other issues with EVF / LCD interaction).

It doesn't make any sense to me to keep the rear LCD on when it's set to display nothing.

Exactly. My X100 behaves in this manner. I can completely turn off the rear LCD.

There are a number of reasons for doing this; stealth and battery life are two big ones for me. Look at almost any electronic with a display and you will see that in many instances displays burn up more battery than anything.

I also often shoot in very dark environments where any amount of light can be distracting. I would very much like to control this.

Oct 21, 2014 at 02:42 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.