Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Aspect ratio in lightroom. Crop tool. Questions.

Lightlightlight

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Aspect ratio in lightroom. Crop tool. Questions.

Ok. I loved for a while the crop tool. I used it like a madman. Eventually I learned to frame my shots better. But I still return to the crop tool occasionally but custom crops are just too problematic.

I started noticing that getting images printed or posting images online and the sizes were off. The image was great but the sizing is off.

Sure I guess you could resize but I shoot photos of friends and family and they don't know a thing about resizing. They just post stuff online and send stuff to the printer and become confused as to what to do.

I imagine if you didn't crop a photo then there is no issue.

But I want to improve what I am doing. My question is simple. When and what should I use for the aspect ratio?

Is there a rule of thumb for portraits?

What if I have a series of portraits, say a family of 6 and I want each portrait to look the same size?

Any tips. Thank you

Oct 21, 2014 at 12:19 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Aspect ratio in lightroom. Crop tool. Questions.

This is messy. Frames come set up for "standard" sizes that have little or no relationship with modern camera sensor ratios. e.g. 5x7 inches.

When you make a print it may or may not include a border. In terms of ratio, the border is part of the print.

Suppose you want to print something 5"x 7"with a 1/2"border all around. That leaves 4"x 6" for the actual picture and so you'll need a 4x6 ratio for your crop.

Then again, if you don't want to see the border then you need the 5x7 ratio but if you don't frame it precisely right then you'll see a tiny border to show people that you misaligned it. In that case you'll need to print a little bit extra and perhaps change the ratio accordingly.

If your custom crops look wrong on the web then it is not your fault. Someone else must have cropped the image after you did.

If your friends have a problem with resizing then that is their fault but you can help them by knowing in advance how big they want to print and whether or not they want to see some white space around it. Then crop your images the correct shape and export it with the correct number or pixels or pixels per inch to suit the print. They might still mess it up if they choose to print it at a different size.

- Alan

Oct 21, 2014 at 01:35 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.