Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2014 · Which wide-angle Zeiss lens would you get for landscape?

tsdevine
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Which wide-angle Zeiss lens would you get for landscape?

I ended up selling my 28/2.8 IS because the drop in sharpness from f/8 to f/11 was more noticeable than some alternatives (Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-s and Contax Zeiss 28 f2.8.)

But it was more impressive at wider apertures.

BTW, I really like the Zeiss 21mm ZE and Contax Zeiss 28mm 2.8 for stopped down landscape shooting.

-Tim

johnctharp wrote:
In looking up tests for the lenses presented in this thread, I find myself wishing for tests that involve longer focusing distances. Only the 25/2 really performs well in testing environments, and even then not as well as say the 24/2.8 IS USM at wider apertures in terms of absolute sharpness.

Another thing I'm noticing is that the Zeiss lenses tend to hold their sharpness better as they're stopped down to f/8 and beyond, where many Canon lenses tend to start losing sharpness.

Oct 21, 2014 at 08:24 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Which wide-angle Zeiss lens would you get for landscape?

billsamuels wrote:
...and somehow I have a hard time believing that it's as sharp as a Zeiss because that's what they're known for and it's a telephoto vs. a prime.

I assume you mean 'zoom' (though WA lenses are technically reverse telephotos); still, compare Canon's 24-70/4L to the 25/2 ZE at say DxOMark. It obviously (or not?) has more distortion at 24mm and has some lingering CA in the corners, but it comes out sharper across the frame and has less vignetting at f/11.

Granted, there's more to it than sharpness measurements in a lab, which I alluded to above. My point is only that Canon's latest efforts with respect to professional zooms and consumer primes have been rather impressive. Particularly if you look through JColwell's links above!

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:06 PM
akclimber
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Which wide-angle Zeiss lens would you get for landscape?

billsamuels wrote:
I have three "L" lenses and I'm ready to try something different. I like them, but there is something about the sharpness and true large-than-life color I see and hear about in a Zeiss. And I kind of like the idea about going back to a Prime lens again for shooting landscapes.
Thanks

I dunno, I own the Canon 17 TSE and 24 TSE MK II and the Zeiss 21 (in Nikon mount) and both the 17 & 24 give the 21 a run for its money for sharpness and microcontrast and color. I love all 3 lenses but honestly keep the Zeiss only for aurora stuff (and because I already own it, love the 20ish mm focal length and I mostly shoot Nikon now).

Good luck! The Zeiss 25 f/2 seems pretty inviting. A lot depends on your preferred focal length

Cheers!

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:34 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Which wide-angle Zeiss lens would you get for landscape?

Between the 25mm 2.0 vs. 2.8, what optical differences are there other than the obvious advantage?

I'm really trying to decide on a landscape prime and having a hard time Zeiss 21mm or 25mm, or even Nikon's new 20 1.8 looks fairly promising. Lens will be used stopped down for maximum sharpness in good light, and wide open for astro stuff.

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:21 AM
plasticmotif
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Which wide-angle Zeiss lens would you get for landscape?

The ZE 21 is the best there is optically. The others in the range are all close, but the 21 is still the best. The 18 is too wide, the 25 isn't wide enough. 21 just works for me.

I really like a 21-35-50 kit.

I've tried 24, 35, 58 and a few other variants, but I don't care for any as much.

It's been a few years since I shot it, but over the past few weeks I've been going over the my old ZE 21 pictures and the sharpness, contrast and color are amazing. It's why I just bought the lens again!

ZE 21/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.4 would make for an amazing landscapers kit. The C/Y 35-70 is amazing as well, but the 35/2 does things the 35-70 can't.

Oct 22, 2014 at 12:20 PM
PEKA62
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Which wide-angle Zeiss lens would you get for landscape?

m.sommers00

DIstagon 25 2.0 vs 2.8:
The 2.8 is available only in Nikon mount, not Canon. The 2.0 in both.
The 2.8 is better corrected for distance with field curvature at the edges backwards (away from camera)
whereas the 2.0 has field curvature towards the camera and has better correction for close focus due to floating elements design, which the 2.8 does not have.

This gives the lenses different characters:
With the 2.8 focussed in the center @ infinity the image will be sharp 2/3 of the (center) frame and the edges will be so-so if you have objects in the frame closer than infinity. Infinity at the edges will also be not as sharp as center.
With the 2.0 focussed in the center @ infinity the center is as sharp as the 2.8, but subjects at the edges and corners that are closer to the camera than infinity could also be sharp due to the forward field curvature.
That's why I chose the 2.0 over the 2.8 (and the faster f-stop)

The 21 is a great landscape lens, but for my taste it's a little too wide, I prefer the 25 focal length over 21.

IF you like the 21mm field of view it's a tie between the 21/2.8 and the 25/2.0. Your choice.
Best solution: Pick both.

Edited on Oct 22, 2014 at 03:59 PM · View previous versions

Oct 22, 2014 at 01:12 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Which wide-angle Zeiss lens would you get for landscape?

I was just reviewing some of my more recent landscape photos since I switched to Canon and as it turns out, most of my landscape photos were shot at around 17-24mm given that I have both a 17-40mm lens and a 24-105mm lens. So this gives me a new perspective on what I really should look at getting. I think the 28 then is not wide enough!

The 21mm to 25m sounds about right, but I'm concerned what some of you have said about the barrel distortion or just distortion from the 21mm lens

A lot has been said about the 25mm but what do you think about the 21mm Zeiss?

Oct 22, 2014 at 01:41 PM
plasticmotif
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Which wide-angle Zeiss lens would you get for landscape?

The 21 has noticeable mustache distortion. Look at the picture I posted on the other page. You can see it there. Most programs have profiles built in for the lens now and they correct it fairly quickly.

http://diglloyd.com/articles/UnderstandingOptics/understanding-distortion.html

It's typically not a problem for anything outside of buildings/architecture/cityscapes.

Oct 22, 2014 at 03:31 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Which wide-angle Zeiss lens would you get for landscape?

UPDATE: I was talking to someone I work with who does professional photography work for my organization, and he suggested that I start with a USED Zeiss even if it doesn't fit a Canon and I have to get a lens adapter. So I should try it out for a while, if I like it, keep it, or if I like it, upgrade to a newer modern one, but regardless, it's an experiment. And I'm not throwing a ton of money into a lens that I may or may not find better than something I already have as far the quality found in a Canon "L" lens, or one of the Mamiya medium format lenses I already have as well, which are very sharp lenses (I was looking at Mamiya lenses on B&H and while mine are MF, they sell AF versions of the same lenses for well over $1500).

Getting back to my original question, what would be a really good and older wide-angle landscape Zeiss lens to get in the used market that would NOT be expensive, perhaps less than $1,000, and would work functionally on a Canon DSLR? Some of you pointed to a Zeiss "Hollywood" lens, but it sounded like that one had some real distortion issues. Also, some mentioned lenses that fit Contax cameras? What else would there be from a few years ago?

Thanks!

Edited on Oct 22, 2014 at 07:37 PM · View previous versions

Oct 22, 2014 at 07:32 PM
carlitos
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Which wide-angle Zeiss lens would you get for landscape?

I have both ZF 28/2 and 25/2. They are different lenses. If I chose one, it would be the 25/2.

The ZF 25/2.8 is a good lens for the money. It is interesting for the fact that as good as it is, it has no aspherical or floating elements.

Oct 22, 2014 at 07:34 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Which wide-angle Zeiss lens would you get for landscape?

I really wish Zeiss would export there Sony Carl Zeiss 24 f2 lens to other mounts, even in manual focus. That lens is brilliant by any standards. I no longer shoot a-mount, but the 24, 85, 135 combo was optically sublime.

Oct 22, 2014 at 07:53 PM
CVickery
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Which wide-angle Zeiss lens would you get for landscape?

billsamuels wrote:
UPDATE: I was talking to someone I work with who does professional photography work for my organization, and he suggested that I start with a USED Zeiss even if it doesn't fit a Canon and I have to get a lens adapter. So I should try it out for a while, if I like it, keep it, or if I like it, upgrade to a newer modern one, but regardless, it's an experiment. And I'm not throwing a ton of money into a lens that I may or may not find better than something I already have as far the
...Show more

While this may seem like good logical advice, I don't think it's that simple. Consider:
1) a C/Y (Contax) lens will require an adapter, and it's advisable to stick to the higher quality and therefore more expensive ones - extra $100-200 for Rayqual, Fotodiox Pro or Novaflex
2) the better C/Y lenses have retained their value. It may be that for a 'like new' C/Y lens you will pay a similar amount or more than a ZE version. This particularly true of the stars like the C/Y 21/2.8. You can save money on less than perfect lenses, but it's harder to determine if there are issues that may be problem for you.
3) the C/Y lenses can have compatibility issues such as mirror interference that are not present in the ZE line.
4) Metering on adapted lenses on Canon bodies using adapted lenses is temperamental; you often need to use EC to get proper exposure, and the amount will vary by aperture. The ZE do not seem to exhibit this issue.
5) If you do find you like the Zeiss, my experience has been that you often net less on sale than you paid, so in the end the total cost will be more than if you moved directly to the lens you really want.

I think you need to short list the lenses you are interested in, research typical cost, eliminate the economically unfeasible, and then watch for sales of good quality lenses, at reasonable prices, from reputable sellers.

You've been given a lot of excellent suggestions here. You need to determine what would work for you, and is in your budget.

Oct 22, 2014 at 08:30 PM
Keith B.
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Which wide-angle Zeiss lens would you get for landscape?

rirakuma wrote:
The 21mm does suffer from an odd mustache distortion for some scenes. If you're shooting interiors or architecture it might be a problem but for general landscape this is hardly noticeable.

Exactly.

Oct 23, 2014 at 01:19 AM
Keith B.
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Which wide-angle Zeiss lens would you get for landscape?

johnctharp wrote:
Another thing I'm noticing is that the Zeiss lenses tend to hold their sharpness better as they're stopped down to f/8 and beyond, where many Canon lenses tend to start losing sharpness.

This is my observation on Nikon as well.

Oct 23, 2014 at 01:23 AM
Keith B.
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Which wide-angle Zeiss lens would you get for landscape?

billsamuels wrote:
Getting back to my original question, what would be a really good and older wide-angle landscape Zeiss lens to get in the used market that would NOT be expensive, perhaps less than $1,000, and would work functionally on a Canon DSLR? Some of you pointed to a Zeiss "Hollywood" lens, but it sounded like that one had some real distortion issues. Also, some mentioned lenses that fit Contax cameras? What else would there be from a few years ago?

Thanks!

The modern ZF/ZF.2 version of the 25/2.8 is typically available used from KEH for under $750. You get a short return period and a longer repair warranty. Of course, if you decide to sell it private party later you'll lose maybe $100....not terrible.
It is a drag that they don't couple to the Canon system, but the old Contax units don't either.

Oct 23, 2014 at 01:29 AM
Keith B.
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Which wide-angle Zeiss lens would you get for landscape?

johnctharp wrote:
In looking up tests for the lenses presented in this thread, I find myself wishing for tests that involve longer focusing distances. Only the 25/2 really performs well in testing environments, and even then not as well as say the 24/2.8 IS USM at wider apertures in terms of absolute sharpness.

The 25/2 has been faulted for not being as good at infinity as it is at testing chart distances. It is technically a good lens, but I found I didn't want that FL often enough.

Oct 23, 2014 at 01:33 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Which wide-angle Zeiss lens would you get for landscape?

As Cal noted, many of the better Contax Carl Zeiss C/Y lenses have retained their value, and require an adapter. I recommend the Leitax mount kit, which I use for CY, OM, and MD lenses. It costs about $100 and comes from Europe.

I think you should decide which focal length you want, before you decide which brand you want. For example, at 21mm, you can pick up a new 21/2.8 ZE for less than a used CZ 21/2.8 C/Y, in near mint condition. The CZ Distagon 28/2.8 C/Y is a peach, but I think you said it wasn't wide enough.

You can also find Carl Zeiss lenses for Rollei (HFT mount). I owned the Rollei Distagon 35/2.8 HFT, but found the Contax 35/2.8 C/Y was better. Based on this single sample (and differences in mount adapters), I decided to stick with C/Y.

Some of the older Carl Zeiss Jena lenses (with M42 screw mount) have excellent reputations, like the 20/2.8, 20/4, and 35/2.4. I owned the 35/2.4 but found the CZ C/Y 35/2.8 was noticeably better. I haven't owned the CZJ 20mm lenses, but I suspect that you'd better off to consider a different brand, like the Olympus 21/3.5 OM or SMC Pentax-M 20/4. They're both extremely good and very small lenses. The Oly is slightly better in the corners, while the Pentax is noticeably better in Zones A, B and parts of C. Also, at a slightly wider focal length, the Tamron SP 17/3.5 (model 151B) and Tokina AT-X 17/3.5 AF Pro (autofocus) are also very good.

You can check used lens prices in the Lens Price Database,

Lens$db, http://tinyurl.com/jcolwell-lensdb

Oct 23, 2014 at 07:21 AM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Which wide-angle Zeiss lens would you get for landscape?

I've never heard of KEH and after looking at their website, it seems like a great place to get used equipment. What do you all think of them? I wanted to get rid of two Minolta lenses I have, should I be aware of anything that is negative about them? What about buying used Zeiss lenses?

Also, are there other sites out there that are like them, good or to stay away from?

Oct 23, 2014 at 01:11 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Which wide-angle Zeiss lens would you get for landscape?

billsamuels wrote:
I've never heard of KEH and after looking at their website, it seems like a great place to get used equipment. What do you all think of them? I wanted to get rid of two Minolta lenses I have, should I be aware of anything that is negative about them? What about buying used Zeiss lenses?

Also, are there other sites out there that are like them, good or to stay away from?

I believe that KEH is still the largest seller of used camera equipment in the United States. It was in the past.

Rich

Oct 23, 2014 at 02:27 PM
plasticmotif
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Which wide-angle Zeiss lens would you get for landscape?

KEH is awesome. Their lens judging scale is fair too...maybe even a bit conservative. I've gotten "E" items or above and they've all been perfect.

Oct 23, 2014 at 03:03 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.