New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Introduction

Just_L

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Introduction

Good Evening,

Hello everyone my name is Luis and I am new to these forums. I was looking for an introductory thread but failed to find one and decided to put my intro along with a question here. I am new to the whole photography world but have been using creative software (adobe creative suit) for quite some time now and felt the need to expand my horizons. In addition to being a student I am also pretty active in my community and love to take pictures on my phone. As an enthusiast to the trade and my recent job working in a store that sells cameras (lol) I feel the time is coming for me to purchase my first DSLR.

So with that out of the way my questions to you guys are:
How viable are Crop frame sensors in low light ( auditorium ) or night shots in the city (New York has light post almost everywhere so its never completely dark). My main focus will most likely be Landscape with a little bit of events (aids/Alzheimer/ect. walks/talent shows on the side.

I am asking because I have shot with both full frame and crop frame but have not been able to test the cameras outside of the store. As you already guesses I am also still struggling between choosing Nikon or Cannon. However, that is something I will most likely decide based on price of the equipment I decide to buy. Full frame only became viable to me due to my recent discovery of the (sale) part of this forum. I'm still a bit skeptical because buying used sounds risky lol

But yea,.I'm looking forward to this soon to be new hobby and being a part of this community.Thank you for your help in advance .javascript:void(0);

PS. Sorry for the long post.

Best,

L

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:35 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Introduction

Luis, welcome to FM. You have asked an open-ended question and I'm SURE you are going to get many different opinions. My only suggestion is since you work at a camera store, perhaps you can borrow a few of the display models and take them out for a spin. There are dozens of great cameras available so I would pick one that you're most comfortable with. The only other thing I'll say is, as a general rule, the bigger the sensor, the better low light performance.

Good luck!

Oct 21, 2014 at 05:09 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Introduction

Hi Luis,

Welcome to FM.

When you're comparing contemporary cameras (i.e. produced at more or less the same time), the FF sensors invariably have lower noise at the same ISO than their APS-C counterparts. There's only one person that can determine whether the diffrence is meaningful for you.

Oct 21, 2014 at 07:06 AM
Just_L

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Introduction

Thank you both for the reply/welcoming and I'm sorry for the open-ended question. Ill continue to look into it, as of now it looks like I'm leaning towards a 'used' full frame as opposed a 'new' crop frame.

=]

Oct 21, 2014 at 08:01 AM
photography01

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Introduction

Hello everyone, I have just signed up.

Edited on Jan 31, 2015 at 12:07 AM · View previous versions

Jan 20, 2015 at 06:29 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Introduction

Welcome to FM Luis!

Nothing wrong leaning towards used. There are some great pieces of equipment that have been well cared for over in the B&S forum looking for a new home. The hard part is to first establish what you are looking for which can be somewhat challenging for a first timer going into the dslr world. Both major brands have good choices. Not knowing the budget constraints makes it difficult to point/suggest possible candidates.

Jan 20, 2015 at 08:36 AM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Introduction

If possible....rent one of the bodies/lens that you think your going to buy...and test and see...

It may make a world of difference for you to see before hand...and save some grief later

Jan 21, 2015 at 01:41 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Introduction

As of now I would heartily recommend a low priced, well cared for 5D Mark II and a 24-105 f4L IS in great condition.

Such as can/could be found here:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1336070/0?keyword=fs%3A,24-105#12744953

Jan 21, 2015 at 02:30 AM
Chied1986

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Introduction

Hello every one ..

Thanks Paul Mo for suggesting this

Jan 22, 2015 at 03:13 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.