New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Forced to make a decision

rerdreb
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Forced to make a decision

My Canon 40D took it's last picture on Saturday. The shutter failed.

This finally forced my decision on what to go to next. I decided on getting a Canon 6D first because I shoot a lot of portraits. I've had a crop sensor camera for so long I'm wondering how much different it will be with the 6D. I shoot a lot of T&I for local youth sports organizations and do quite a few families and HS seniors.

I also shoot a lot of sports because my kids are in every sport under the sun. I know the 6D is not considered a sports camera. I plan on getting the 7Dmkii around spring time. The boys do wrestling during the winter and I think the 6D will be able to handle that and the high ISO performance will probably be welcome as most of the gyms have horrible lighting.

So back to the 6D. How much of a difference am I in for coming from a 40D? I haven't got the camera yet but I'm anxious to say the least. I'm sure there must be a little learning curve going from crop sensor to full frame. I know the DOF is going to be quite different. I normally shoot at f4 for outdoor portraits with my 40D. How much of a difference will I see. Will I need to stop down quite a bit more or will the change be slight?

What are the best focal lengths for portraits on a 6D. I used a Tamron 28-75 on my 40D and it worked great. Will the focal length be too short for portraits on a full frame? I'm thinking my 85 1.8 should be fine for individuals but will probably need to swap out for the 28-75 to get the teams at least until I can get a good zoom that will cover individuals and team pictures.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron

Oct 20, 2014 at 09:50 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Forced to make a decision

rerdreb wrote:
I shoot a lot of T&I

I reread that twice, just in case.

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:06 PM
rerdreb
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Forced to make a decision

Team and Individual

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:08 PM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Forced to make a decision

You must not spend much time browsing the Sports forum

jeremy_clay wrote:
I reread that twice, just in case.

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:13 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Forced to make a decision

Your plan is sound. I have an 85 for portraits and it works great if you want to get a little scenery in there with your subject. Lately I have been using my 70-200 more frequently but it changes with the seasons. If you are shooting sports, I imagine you'll pick up some variant of the 70-200 2.8 in the future. When you do keep in mind that the IS II > non-IS > IS I in terms of sharpness. The IS II is significantly better rendering than the other two but you'll pay for it.

It has been a long time since I used a 28-75 but that should make for a decent walk around lens and unless you are really cramped for space should cover team portraits just fine.

As for the inherent differences between a cropped and FF sensor in terms of depth of field at a perceived focal length - you are going to be in for quite a change. Just take some practice shots of your family to get an idea of how much or little depth of field you prefer at the actual focal lengths. If you previously thought f/4 was good you may be looking at f/5.6 now. Personally, when I want most of the face in focus I shoot at f/4 on a FF in the 70-200 range. I prefer my backgrounds to be completely obliterated most of the time and use 2.8 and 2.0 a lot more frequently.

Regardless, you are going to be blown away by the massive improvements in high ISO, dynamic range, coloration, and contrast between the two sensors. Congratulations on the new camera and I look forward to seeing some of your photos around here in the future!

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:22 PM
rerdreb
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Forced to make a decision

70-200 is on my short list. Most of my outdoor sports are done in the daytime as my kids are younger. I have been shooting the action shots with a Sigma 100-300 f4. Even the few night games for the local HS are pretty much fine with this lens and my 40D since they play on a Div II college field that is well lit.

I am thinking the 70-200 might be good for outdoor portraits on the full frame sensor though.

Thanks for the information.

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:32 PM
Scott T
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Forced to make a decision

Hi Ron,

I haven't shot with a 6D, but would suggest that you also consider a used 5d3. You'll get all the joy of FF for great portraits, and it's a great sports camera with impressive high iso performance.

As noted above, you gain an equivalent of one stop of DOF with a crop camera over FF at the same aperture, so shots that have enough DOF at f/4 will need 5.6 on FF. Takes a little getting used to when you want a completely sharp shot, the bokeh is awesome tho on the other side of the equation.

The 28-75 should be just right for T&I, a 70-200 is a nice portrait option, but your 100-300 will do for awhile?

Lots of great camera options now, and lenses are trending down price wise, so it's a good time to be shopping.

Good luck!

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:36 PM
Parkertinsley
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Forced to make a decision

Getting my 6d when I was in a similar scenario was the best decision I could have made. I do a lot of portraits and I would suggest looking into the canon 135 f/2L; you can get them used for a good price and they are superbly sharp. Personally, I shoot with the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, but it was really expensive and not an investment for most. The canon 85 f/1.8 is an exceptional lens but I would say get the 135 and your clients will love the shots so much that it will pay for itself in no time.

Oct 21, 2014 at 12:24 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Forced to make a decision

You'll love the 6D.

Oct 21, 2014 at 06:01 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Forced to make a decision

rerdreb wrote:
70-200 is on my short list. Most of my outdoor sports are done in the daytime as my kids are younger. I have been shooting the action shots with a Sigma 100-300 f4. Even the few night games for the local HS are pretty much fine with this lens and my 40D since they play on a Div II college field that is well lit.

I am thinking the 70-200 might be good for outdoor portraits on the full frame sensor though.

Thanks for the information.

Yep - when doing portraiture that is by far my most used lens - you can even back up a bit and get full length at 70mm. When I am shooting individual ports I usually shoot at f/4, but for 2 or more I stop down to 5.6 or 8 depending on FL and size of group. For tight shots of couples you need to make sure their eyes are roughly on the same plane, though.

Oh, I have a 135 and really don't use it very much; my 70-200/4IS is just so much easier to shoot with. Yes you can obliterate backgrounds at f/2, but generally that isn't really necessary

Oct 21, 2014 at 07:17 AM
Charlie N
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Forced to make a decision

If you have a sigma 100-300, use that for portraits until you find it a limitation. You will find that it will give you better sharpness and background blur than what you are accustomed to.

Oct 21, 2014 at 08:38 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.