Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              7       8       end

Archive 2014 · What do you like and dislike about Canon?

Ralph Conway
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · What do you like and dislike about Canon?

That they read my posts and optimized all I wished/needed/asked for over an excellent 5D II, added some additional features, cut the sales price about 30% and called it 6D.

Dislikes:
That they eliminated my beloved Joystick to safe 12 cent and make this exellent (pro) camera fitting better into their consumer range. Horrible!

To sell high priced "L" lenses without 2$ components like tripod clambs) that make sense and charge you maybe 100 $ for it.
To offer stupid "original" hardware (eg. battery grips - a technical peace of innovation a 12 year old child can develop) at unbelieveable 20% of the high tech tool it supports.

And yes, I am with Gochugogi: ECF worked wonderful for me in EOS 5 and 3. It should be easy to be market leader here 20 years later.

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:27 PM
gocolts
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · What do you like and dislike about Canon?

Like:

Their lenses, from the standpoint of both available options and performance.

Dislike:

Their bodies, lately they seem to be struggling to innovate.

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:30 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · What do you like and dislike about Canon?

Gochugogi wrote:
Probably the feature I liked most was ECF. Not a fan of wheels and joysticks for AF selection. After 3 years of MFT use I figured out I'm not a fan of mirrorless--hate EVFs--and glad Canon is treading lightly through that mine field.

Hmm, dislike--that's a hard one as Canon is almost perfect. Wait, they stopped making ECF!

Dislikes; these are due to my disability and lack of dexterity.

- No further development of ECF has been my biggest gripe. Without the use of my fingers it allowed me to use all focus points and it worked quite well for me with or without glasses. I'm still using my EOS3's; shooting film, because of this single feature.

- With the exception of their G series, none of their P&S cameras have wired remote capability. It can't be that expensive to add this feature and without it Canon pretty much shuts out 'ALL' people with a high-level disability like myself that have some or huge issues with finger movement. The 2 and 10 second timer and touch screens do help, but this little part/socket would open up photography to a huge segment of folks who do love to create...and often can't.

The small size, weight of many P&S camera's are perfect as many just don't have the strength to even manage a Rebel. Having the ability of say an S110 in hand with a wired remote would give many a freedom long ago lost. This saddens me as we all have something to offer up, a vision to share, even with our physical limitations.

- Canon's slow as a snail development of a mirrorless system, this really irks me, and like their other P&S bodies there's no 'flocking' wired remote. I guess Canon figures 'NO ONE' would ever want one, ya know for when shooting on a tripod, there's a tripod socket, WTF Canon

- Lastly, although it affects me little, Canon's been milking it's sensor cow for a loooooog time and really should step it up a notch or more. I actually like shadows, still enjoy the mysteries of life and personally don't need nor want to see every last detail. I understand that many like HDR but I'm old school and think most of it just looks fake and unrealistic. That said, for those that need/want the extended DR; at the low ISO end, clean shadow areas so they can be pushed, I think Canon is blowing it big time.

I think their efforts into video and the great high ISO developments that have trickled down to still shooting is wonderful, is a huge bonus when the light isn't perfect or is artificial. But, that video, high ISO, focus has come at the expense of us who actually like shooting at ISO 100 and possibly lower. I shot with Kodachrome 25 and PanF for a reason, and would like to have that capability from the digital age, if it's possible.

There are simply too many to list and it's been that way since I bought my A-1 in 1978. Canon has the most complete system and best ergonomics of any current camera manufacture. And if I were to write up all my likes, there would be just too much to digest comfortably.

Canon's in my crippled hands have always felt 'right' and that makes their gear near invisible when shooting, it simply becomes an extension of a less than perfect human body. The dislikes above are real 'nit picks', they would be 'nice to haves', and that speaks volumes about Canon's quality; of design, product and service, and the variety we all take for granted, they get most things wonderfully correct.

Cheers,
Jerry

Edited on Oct 20, 2014 at 03:23 PM · View previous versions

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:42 PM
jaybird555
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · What do you like and dislike about Canon?

What do you like and dislike about Canon? The fact that they can spell Cannon the correct way.

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:48 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · What do you like and dislike about Canon?

Dislike:
1) Above all others - have not put out a high mpx camera in the face of Nikon after several years. I can create dynamic range out of multipexposure but I cann't create mpx
2) Have not produced a ff interchangeable lens hikeable body. The EOS-m showed so much promise and then nothing.

Modest dislike:
1) Prices keep climbing

Like:
Great bodies with great featurers (5diii, 7dii, 7d, 1dx all lead the pack)
TS17 - my number one reason for sticking with Canon
Lots of new lens that are great -
600 f4 v2
200-400 f4 v2
16-35 f4
24-70
70-200

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:56 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · What do you like and dislike about Canon?

Scott Stoness wrote:
Dislike:
1) Above all others - have not put out a high mpx camera in the face of Nikon after several years. I can create dynamic range out of multipexposure but I cann't create mpx
2) Have not produced a ff interchangeable lens hikeable body. The EOS-m showed so much promise and then nothing.

Modest dislike:
1) Prices keep climbing

Like:
Great bodies with great featurers (5diii, 7dii, 7d, 1dx all lead the pack)
TS17 - my number one reason for sticking with Canon
Lots of new lens that are great -
600 f4 v2
200-400 f4 v2
16-35 f4
24-70
70-200

Not arguing with you Scott, but similar to the DR work-around, we can get large mpx files through panorama/composite on certain subjects. I know that neither remedy is ideal, but at least we aren't completely shut-out of the high MP arena.

To add to your list of recent fantastic (and affordable) new lenses: 24 IS, 28 IS, 35 IS, 40 STM, EF-S 11-18, EF-S 55-250 STM.

If the rumored 11-24L comes out -- Wow!

Oct 20, 2014 at 02:27 PM
Thorsten
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · What do you like and dislike about Canon?

I moved from Nikon to Canon earlier this year. Canon's lenses are what I like best about them, they turned out to be even better than what I had expected. With regard to the bodies:

- Flash remote triggering that uses RF and not the clumsy line of sight remote control. No more pocket wizards needed!
- Canon decided to make a 7DII
- SL1: Perfect throw-in-backpack camera, small, light, inexpensive, touch-screen, and will soon have 24mm pancake lens. No more mirrorless for me after using this camera.
- The handling of the 5D3 (C1-C3, rear wheel, ...)
- Consistent AF (it was all over the place with my D800)
- Skin tones

Dislike:
- Auto ISO has silly limits on min shutter speed. So now I can't use it anymore for BIF.
- Metering (with and without flash) is not quite as consistent as Nikon's

The sensors are fine, by the way and have not been limiting me.

Oct 20, 2014 at 02:50 PM
Kmccarthy
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · What do you like and dislike about Canon?

This is what I like about Canon. I took this yesterday with my 5D3 and 70-300L. The colors are just perfect, right out of the camera. This was small jPEG with no post processing. (I save small JPEGs on my eye-fi)

Oct 20, 2014 at 07:12 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · What do you like and dislike about Canon?

Kmccarthy wrote:
This is what I like about Canon. I took this yesterday with my 5D3 and 70-300L. The colors are just perfect, right out of the camera. This was small jPEG with no post processing. (I save small JPEGs on my eye-fi)
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z144/kgmccarthy/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps7ce5edd1.jpg

Jpegs by their nature have been processed, quite often more than others do with their raw files. Really depends what configuration you had set for your jpegs.

I shoot jpeg out of my X100 and I can dramatically change the look of the jpeg just by setting different in camera parameters.

Oct 20, 2014 at 08:12 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · What do you like and dislike about Canon?

Gunzorro wrote:
Not arguing with you Scott, but similar to the DR work-around, we can get large mpx files through panorama/composite on certain subjects. I know that neither remedy is ideal, but at least we aren't completely shut-out of the high MP arena.

To add to your list of recent fantastic (and affordable) new lenses: 24 IS, 28 IS, 35 IS, 40 STM, EF-S 11-18, EF-S 55-250 STM.

If the rumored 11-24L comes out -- Wow!

Stitching just does not work for many situations such as when shooting anything that moves. Saying stitching can replace or substitute for a high mpix camera is like saying flash can replace the need for high ISO.

Oct 20, 2014 at 08:18 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · What do you like and dislike about Canon?

chez wrote:
Stitching just does not work for many situations such as when shooting anything that moves. Saying stitching can replace or substitute for a high mpix camera is like saying flash can replace the need for high ISO.

Why don't you answer the question on this thread?

You might note that Gunzorro said "we can...on certain subjects". Why pick an argument when you are both saying the same thing

Oct 20, 2014 at 09:05 PM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · What do you like and dislike about Canon?

I like that Canon DOESN'T use Sony sensors in their 1D series DSLRS.

I used to buy hi-end Sony consumer video equipment. I bought Sony because alot of the professional video gear I used at work (over 30 years ago) was manufactured by Sony. However, without exception, every single piece of Sony consumer video gear I've ever purchased has failed prematurely, for no explicable reason. From $2,000 Hi8 and SVHS tape decks, to $3,000 XBR monitors and their very best Hi8 prosumer camcorders ...the equipment all failed, early in life, just outside the warranty, despite the most meticulous care and single user handling.

This product quality betrayal was in stark contrast to my experience with the durable UMATIC line of 3/4" tape recorders, BetaCam ENG cameras, and studio monitors used at work. After losing many thousands of dollars to poor quality Sony prosumer products, while my associates who invested in Panasonic and Matsushita products kept on trucking... I decided that anything Sony makes that retails below $10,000 and that is oriented to the consumer or prosumer, probably wouldn't last long enough to bother with.

I still use 10 year old Canon bodies, and they work just as well as they did when I bought them. I never got more than 2 years of trouble free use from a Sony. I remember Sony's advertising slogan "It's a Sony..." When I read that now, I run!

I don't care how good a Sony sensor is at the sub-$10K level. I'm happy to wait until a different manufacturer who has more regard for reliability at the prosumer level catches up. I'll stick with Canon in the DSLR space for that reason alone.

Oct 20, 2014 at 09:55 PM
dwweiche
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · What do you like and dislike about Canon?

I would suspect your concern in this instance is unfounded. A solid state sensor built with modern semiconductor processes is likely just as reliable as any other sensor from any other manufacturer. Sony actually has a good reputation with their semiconductor fabs.

I'm guessing your bad experiences were due to substandard mechanical or electromechanical parts. So, avoid the Sony cameras if you're concerned about their device manufacturing or quality, but I wouldn't worry about the sensor in a Nikon built camera.

I have no horse in the race, just speaking as a trained engineer

Focus Locus wrote:

I used to buy hi-end Sony consumer video equipment. I bought Sony because alot of the professional video gear I used at work (over 30 years ago) was manufactured by Sony. However, without exception, every single piece of Sony consumer video gear I've ever purchased has failed prematurely, for no explicable reason. From $2,000 Hi8 and SVHS tape decks, to $3,000 XBR monitors and their very best Hi8 prosumer camcorders ...the equipment all failed, early in life, just outside the warranty, despite the most meticulous care and
...Show more

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:07 PM
kzoockof
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · What do you like and dislike about Canon?

I just like Canon, have for years. Every once in a while I feel tempted to give Nikon a go, but in the end always decide against it.

Maybe if my abilities exceeded that of my camera equipment, then I may feel differently. But when I feel that way, I realize that it is always a photographers ability (with the exception of occasional luck) and not nearly as much the equipment's, that delivers a stunning image.

I can count on the fact that I will make many more mistakes and be the cause for more bad images than the equipment I use will be responsible. I think that is true whether my equipment be Canon, Nikon, Sony or a cell phone. In other words, when my skills are so incredibly tuned that they exceed my equipment, I am sure I will find plenty to complain about. And I hope some day to be at that level.

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:10 PM
panicatnabisco
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · What do you like and dislike about Canon?

jctriguy wrote:

He should take note from his own post from the "What do you like/dislike about Nikon?" thread.

chez wrote:
I just don't understand people that have no interest in a thread coming into the thread and wasting their time.

Now lets get back on topic, shall we?

Dislikes:
-Took forever for a decent 24-70, and taking forever on other lens updates (i.e. 100-400, 35L, 50L, etc)
-Banding and shadow noise on the mkIII
-No quick temperature WB adjustments in the mkIII (1dx dedicated WB button is perfect)
-Hilarious prices for the WFT system for the amount of headaches it causes
-Half assed 70-200 tripod foot locking mechanism (open up the backplate and see how miserable it would be if you loosen the knob a bit too far)
-Supertele hood locking knobs are held down by two tiny baby screws
-No easy way to mount legacy lenses
-No built-in intervalometer

-Cheaper superteles (Nikon 400mm/2.8 non-VR cost more than the Canon 400mm/2.8 IS)
-Superior lens selection
-Electronic aperture, no physical levers that are way too easy to break and bend out of spec like on Nikons
-Ergonomics
-Better and consistent colors for easier batch processing
-Better 3rd party support (software, hardware and firmware)
-Awesome cinema line with EOS mount cinema glass
-Camera bodies have a better defined purpose than Nikon's "lets release 8 FX models within 2 years!"
-Didn't jump the DR/MP/mirrorless bandwagon until the tech matures, preventing half-baked releases that end up being glorified one trick ponies

Edited on Oct 21, 2014 at 01:51 AM · View previous versions

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:44 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · What do you like and dislike about Canon?

As a Nikon user for the last 40 or so years, I like Canon because they keep Nikon on their toes, running scared.

Oct 21, 2014 at 12:11 AM
zlatko
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · What do you like and dislike about Canon?

panicatnabisco wrote:
-No built-in intervalometer

The new 7D2 has this. It may be the first Canon DSLR to have it.

Oct 21, 2014 at 01:01 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · What do you like and dislike about Canon?

To me an SLR system critically depends on great lenses, bodies come and go, but lenses are (relatively!) eternal so of the Canon lenses I have personally owned:

24L f1.4 Mk 2
85mm f1.8
135L
70-200 f4 (non-IS) - for me winner of the best lens price/versatility/quality ratio ever

Dislikes - the older lenses that need updating IHMO

20mm f2.8
50mm f1.8 (all time build quality dislike, and I've been swapping systems for 30 years)
50mm f1.4

Oct 21, 2014 at 02:27 AM
kezeka
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · What do you like and dislike about Canon?

Focus Locus wrote:

I used to buy hi-end Sony consumer video equipment. I bought Sony because alot of the professional video gear I used at work (over 30 years ago) was manufactured by Sony. However, without exception, every single piece of Sony consumer video gear I've ever purchased has failed prematurely, for no explicable reason. From $2,000 Hi8 and SVHS tape decks, to $3,000 XBR monitors and their very best Hi8 prosumer camcorders ...the equipment all failed, early in life, just outside the warranty, despite the most meticulous care and
...Show more

My buddy has an A7 and his shutter ate it after 5000 photos on the camera. Just anecdotal but I have never gotten the impression that Sony cares much about consumers besides taking their money.

Oct 21, 2014 at 07:01 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · What do you like and dislike about Canon?

jctriguy wrote:

You might note that Gunzorro said "we can...on certain subjects". Why pick an argument when you are both saying the same thing

Not an argument...unlike your post. I was just re-enforcing that stitching WILL NOT work for many situations and can not substitute for a high Mpix sensor in those situations.

It is one of the areas that is lacking in Canon's lineup and I see too often the high mpix sensor being blown off by people claiming you can just stitch to get high mpix. Here is a good example where stitching to get higher mpix just would not work.

© Fleeting Light Photos

Oct 21, 2014 at 07:57 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.