New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Looking for a no-nonsense compact camera

Ken Oravsky

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for a no-nonsense compact camera

I am looking for a compact camera for sea kayaking with the following attributes. I cannot seem to find one that fits my specs. Any suggestions appreciated.

Specs:
a) Optical viewfinder--not a digital image--just real direct "through the glass."
b) Non-retractable lens.
c) Real-camera type controls (i.e., easy to use manual settings, like a Canon 40D or equal)
d) Minimal shutter delay (again, like a Canon 40D, not like the 1/2 second+ delay with many compacts)
e) A good quality lens with a zoom range of about 28mm-140mm (35mm equiv.).
f) Video capability, but doesn't need to be high definition.
g) Weight: about a pound.
h) Reliable.

I intend to use a simple waterproof housing so I don't need a waterproof camera. I just don't want to have to paddle around in rough water with my 40D and 70-200 f/2.8 around my neck.

Does anyone know of anything that comes close?

Oct 19, 2014 at 10:00 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for a no-nonsense compact camera

You're not going to find any compact cameras that give you a TTL optical viewfinder, though maybe that's not what you meant.

I don't think you're going to find a camera that ticks every box... I think the closest that you'll get are the Fuji X20, Canon G15, and Canon G16.

Oct 19, 2014 at 10:35 PM
loosh
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for a no-nonsense compact camera

You're going to have to budge on either non-retractable lens (assuming you include extending as well) or a zoom. Probably going to have to allow for EVF's if you want compact as well.

Oct 19, 2014 at 10:37 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for a no-nonsense compact camera

Fuji X10/20 if you really want a zoom, or Fuji X100s/t if your okay with a fixed lens

Really nothing else on the market that meets all your needs

I'd personally give up the OVF requirement in favor of an EVF and then you've got a TON of choices with the Sony A6000 or similar, various m4/3 models like the EM-10 etc

Oct 19, 2014 at 11:16 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for a no-nonsense compact camera

How about the Rebel SL1? It's under a pound (13oz), has the same size sensor as your 40D with slightly higher resolution, does video, has an OVF and "real" camera controls. The STM kit lens doesn't have the coverage you're looking for, but there are others available for the mount, from what I hear.

Oct 20, 2014 at 01:11 AM
roger lund
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for a no-nonsense compact camera

I would go with the Canon EOS-M. if you can get away from needing a view finder. It does great video.

Oct 21, 2014 at 08:14 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for a no-nonsense compact camera

I suppose the availiblity of cheap housings is also an important factor here

The Sony RX100 should be on your radar as well due to there being a fantastic housing you can buy for about $160 for it. You can get the camera for around $300 as well, so that is under $500 total.

Very good video, 28-100 range, 1" sensor with 20meg resolution for pretty good IQ. No EVF/OVF, however the "white magic" LCD is the easiest to view outdoors of any LCD I've owned.

Have to remember as well that when in a water housing, you can't really use most VF's too well anyways, and most composition is done via the LCD. After all, what point is a VF when you've got a diving mask on is likely the designers thoughts.

Oct 21, 2014 at 11:26 AM
plasticmotif
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking for a no-nonsense compact camera

Canon G series. They all have really well built underwater housings.

I like the Sony RX100 recommendation too.

Oct 21, 2014 at 01:26 PM
miguel_13
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking for a no-nonsense compact camera

The Panasonic LX100 is a tempting package if you can get past the sticker-shock, I like the rgonomics of the the Sony rx100 iii a little better (for a compact camera) but from what I've seen the Panasonic has better output. If video matters the Panasonic 4k codec is also quite good.

Oct 21, 2014 at 04:58 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking for a no-nonsense compact camera

I think the only downside of the LX100 is going to be that as it is not even on the market yet, a waterhousing is going to be a ways off.

Kind of risky taking a $900 camera out on a sea kayak. Even if it doesn't go overboard, you've still got all that salt water spray in the air and likely some splashes. Really hostile environment for a camera

Oct 21, 2014 at 05:13 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking for a no-nonsense compact camera

I like this question, since no camera exists that will actually fulfill the OP's requirements.

But I have to ask- won't the use of an underwater housing obviate the need for discrete manual controls?

-AND-

Would Sony's RX10 have appropriate sealing? I know it's way too heavy...

Oct 21, 2014 at 07:25 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Looking for a no-nonsense compact camera

johnctharp wrote:
I like this question, since no camera exists that will actually fulfill the OP's requirements.

But I have to ask- won't the use of an underwater housing obviate the need for discrete manual controls?

-AND-

Would Sony's RX10 have appropriate sealing? I know it's way too heavy...

No, many water housings allow full manual controls through a system of various friction wheels and buttons.

Sometimes they are a bit less than ideal though, like the control to adjust the RX100's front control wheel. It slips a fair bit, but gets the job done. A higher end housing, ie: $500+ instead of $159 probably would work better

Oct 21, 2014 at 07:35 PM
miguel_13
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Looking for a no-nonsense compact camera

millsart wrote:
Kind of risky taking a $900 camera out on a sea kayak.

. . .and yet we do, and I'm not the only one. I guess if I'm going to go to the trouble of bringing anything besides a smart phone I'm not going to make my imaging decision based on replacement costs. OTH there are loads of dunkable cameras available now < $400

Oct 21, 2014 at 07:48 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Looking for a no-nonsense compact camera

miguel_13 wrote:
. . .and yet we do, and I'm not the only one. I guess if I'm going to go to the trouble of bringing anything besides a smart phone I'm not going to make my imaging decision based on replacement costs. OTH there are loads of dunkable cameras available now < $400

You take your smart phone with you when your sea kayaking ?

To each his own, but when I've gone kayak, even just in freshwater, I always carried my necessary gear in a dry bag or waterproof Pelican case.

On a boat is one thing, and I felt pretty confident, but I've always gotten fairly wet sea kayaking even without capsizing.

Oct 21, 2014 at 09:09 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Looking for a no-nonsense compact camera

I'd be trying to figure out how to use the RX10 John mentioned.

Oct 21, 2014 at 09:36 PM
Ken Oravsky

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Looking for a no-nonsense compact camera

Wow! Thanks for all the thoughts. I now have some homework to do. To clarify a few of my "needs:"

1) I'm not looking for a through-the-lens optical viewfinder--just a plain and simple separate finder system, like in the rangefinder days. I find these to be brighter and faster than any EVF that I have seen--plus, they don't contribute to any battery drain.

2) By "non-retractable lens" I mean a lens that does not retract into the camera when I shut the camera off--it just stays there. I have had 2 different brands of cameras fail because this mechanism quit working. Also, my wife's Casio shuts down if anything (like the waterproof bag-housing we use) bumps into the lens when the lens is moving forward on startup.

3) The manual controls are important to me because I also intend to use this camera on shore and outside the waterproof housing where I will be able to appreciate them. Yes, in the housing, it will probably be set on some auto exposure setting. I'll do some reading and comment again once I have reviewed everyone's suggestions. Again, thanks!

Oct 21, 2014 at 09:53 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.