Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · External monitor for laptop?

mt_archery_guy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · External monitor for laptop?

Hello,
I have a Acer laptop I would like to purchase an external monitor for editing photos. I would also like to calibrate it. Any suggestions on type, brand, etc?
Thanks

Oct 19, 2014 at 05:16 PM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · External monitor for laptop?

NEC Spectraview is excellent and self calibrating.

One of the best purchases i have made.

Oct 19, 2014 at 05:28 PM
mt_archery_guy

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · External monitor for laptop?

I'll check it out....thanks

Oct 20, 2014 at 07:52 AM
mt_archery_guy

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · External monitor for laptop?

I'll check it out....thanks

Oct 20, 2014 at 07:53 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · External monitor for laptop?

I use one too. With a Dell laptop.
Scott

Oct 20, 2014 at 08:05 AM
nicky napkins

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · External monitor for laptop?

Psychic1 wrote:
NEC Spectraview is excellent and self calibrating.

One of the best purchases i have made.

I have been trying to edit pictures on my flat screen tv.. (which I use as a computer as well)

Is this a really bad idea ?

I am having trouble getting the colours right, everything looks lovely in photoshop but if I use the computer viewer to look at the same pictures they are always too dark..##Help !!

Thank you, Nicky..

Oct 20, 2014 at 06:45 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · External monitor for laptop?

The NEC Spectraview and Eizo are the best in terms of changing calibration and profile on-the-fly and showing the best colours with the best tonal uniformity. However, they are limited to about 110ppi at best, which I find is too chunky. i.e. I prefer to not notice individual pixels and the gaps between them.

The Dell 24"4k monitor has a much nicer to look at 185ppi but doesn't have the good uniformity control at the same time as it shows its full gamut - you get one or the other. It also lacks the convenient on-the-fly changing of calibration and profile offered by the more expensive monitors. Also, Windows is not yet fully ready for high-ppi monitors. They'd better get it right in Windows 10 next year.

Physically, I really like the 24"size a lot, so long as it has adequate ppi for the screen to look good. 27"starts filling the room and 32" is just like being way too close to the screen at the front of the cinema - it's too hard to take everything in at once and the edges and centre are at very different viewing distances which my ageing eyes cannot cope with.

You can use a tv but they are harder to calibrate and profile properly. Also, I found out a long time ago that you pretty much have to sit closer to the tv than you normally would in order for it to "look" as big as the laptop screen does when it is just in front of you. It wasn't worth the hassle.

Be aware that the graphics card/processor in your laptop may not be able to handle the high resolution of the 4k monitors, so try before you buy or at least do your research.

- Alan

Oct 21, 2014 at 02:06 AM
nicky napkins

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · External monitor for laptop?

Thank you Alan
I am using a pc and and Nvidea g force graphic card..

I think the graphic card is ok, maybe I should try the calibation software first (to see if it improves my tv ) then I can buy a proper monitor and have them both connected to my computer.. ?

https://500px.com/photo/87093463/g-force-by-nicky-?from=user_library

Oct 21, 2014 at 07:12 AM
mt_archery_guy

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · External monitor for laptop?

I'm still looking for more suggestions for a good monitor, but for a reasonable price at this stage in the game.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks....

Oct 26, 2014 at 08:26 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.