Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Suspicious activities on e-bay..? (Nikon D4 listing)

jigesh
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Suspicious activities on e-bay..? (Nikon D4 listing)

Don't know what's going on e-bay, but wanted to warn FM'ers about a strange listing on a Nikon D4 camera.

This was my own listing for a Nikon D4 that I sold sometime back. The buyer was happy and left me a positive feedback.

Now, I see this listing which has pictures and text from my above-mentioned listing including the shutter count! The seller is not the same (not the same state where I shipped mine) and except for one picture (Nikon service receipt), everything else is from my listing. This listing has currently 8 bids and the item description mentions "Buy It Now" price of under $3K! Something is definitely fishy here.

I have notified e-bay and the above listing may be removed. In the meanwhile, please don't fall in the trap (or verify with the seller).

Oct 19, 2014 at 12:07 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Suspicious activities on e-bay..? (Nikon D4 listing)

2018842 is the serial # shown in this seller's photo... what do your records show as the serial # of the one you sold? The receipt shows an invoice date of 30May2014; what's the date of yours?

Oct 19, 2014 at 02:47 PM
jigesh
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Suspicious activities on e-bay..? (Nikon D4 listing)

The serial number photo is my photo used by the seller. The Nikon service receipt is his/hers and it shows a different serial number (shown by an arrow <--).

Oct 19, 2014 at 03:41 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Suspicious activities on e-bay..? (Nikon D4 listing)

Were I you, I'd simply post a question to him on his ad as to how it was that he came to use your picture without your consent, that the serial #'s differ between your photo and his receipt, and ask him how can he explain that?
that will certainly give prospective buyer's a head's up. Good catch...

Oct 19, 2014 at 04:37 PM
ronfronberg
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Suspicious activities on e-bay..? (Nikon D4 listing)

The eBay seller does not have to post the response. Thou, it might be enough to let the seller know that things are not copacetic.

Oct 19, 2014 at 05:10 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Suspicious activities on e-bay..? (Nikon D4 listing)

what the hell, I just asked him myself let's see how he responds

Oct 19, 2014 at 05:13 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Suspicious activities on e-bay..? (Nikon D4 listing)

, I didn't know that, Ron. thanx for the scoop

Oct 19, 2014 at 05:14 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Suspicious activities on e-bay..? (Nikon D4 listing)

There's at least two issues with the quoted listing: (i) does it use somebody else's photos?; and, (ii) is it totally bogus ?

A "yes" answer to either (or both) of these questions can get an eBay seller kicked out. In this case, it sure looks like the listing and the seller are totally bogus. Asking the seller "what's up" is totally ineffective with respect to resolving the problems. Reporting the item as being fradulent is the way to go. eBay is usually pretty good at dealing with this sort of fraud, but only if you report it to eBay.

Oct 19, 2014 at 08:42 PM
jigesh
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Suspicious activities on e-bay..? (Nikon D4 listing)

I have reported it to Ebay - let's see if they take any action.

All but one pictures are mine, and 85% of the text in item description is mine. If the seller and item are genuine, I really don't have a problem him/her using my pics/text.

A similar thing had happened in past, here on FM Buy & Sell forum, when someone with new registration and no feedback posted a D3s for sale (if I remember correctly) using pictures from my past e-bay listing - I recognized it from the blanket I used for the pictures (and upon further inspection/verification, they indeed were my pictures)! I posted in his thread mentioning this fact and also mentioning that if the item and seller are genuine, I am OK with it. I also reported that post to Fred, who later found the listing suspicious, suspended the seller and his sale.

Mostly people are cautious, especially with expensive items like D3s and D4, but I thought of bringing it to the attention so that a potential buyer/bidder exercises even higher level of scrutiny.

Oct 20, 2014 at 06:17 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Suspicious activities on e-bay..? (Nikon D4 listing)

Oct 20, 2014 at 06:36 AM
jigesh
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Suspicious activities on e-bay..? (Nikon D4 listing)

Looks like the seller withdrew the item (or e-bay asked to do it).

Oct 20, 2014 at 06:49 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Suspicious activities on e-bay..? (Nikon D4 listing)

And another one bites the dust

Oct 20, 2014 at 07:05 PM
jigesh
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Suspicious activities on e-bay..? (Nikon D4 listing)

Looks like this person has listed the same item with the same pictures again! Item # 221597162818

Nov 07, 2014 at 06:50 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.