Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · How can I expose this shot properly/get deeper blacks?

kaitlyn2004
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How can I expose this shot properly/get deeper blacks?

This is an manipulated shot from the camera, so I could of course adjust the blacks and overall levels, but how can I do better with the lighting setup?

I have one table lamp as the continuous light and a speedlight 2nd curtain sync.

1) background texture. I guess just trying to get more depth from the dice plane of field to the background?
2) Surface: I am using a piece of acrylic with the black felt underneath, but I'm still getting what looks to me like a more whitish surface. How can I get those deep black surface looks?
3) Dice trails: They are quite faint. I guess I just need more/stronger continious light or bump up the ISO? Anything else I can do?

Appreciate any help I can get!

Oct 19, 2014 at 12:11 AM
lifthard2001
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How can I expose this shot properly/get deeper blacks?

Are you shooting in manual mode .

Oct 19, 2014 at 08:36 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How can I expose this shot properly/get deeper blacks?

You need to control the amount of light you are putting on it. Doing it with Speedlight's is challenging but you can do it. First get your background farther away to control any light spill on it. Then use or make a snoot or get a grid for your Speedlight to focus the light on the dice and off the acrylic. Try lighting from back left and user a small reflector or grid on another Speedlight on the front of the dice. Then you can use software like NIK or Nikon NX2 with control points to make the black very black. You might have to use some black cards or flags to flag off some of the light. It's a little work but you can do it.

Oct 19, 2014 at 10:18 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.