New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Unable to load 750 file?

david debalko
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Unable to load 750 file?

I shot with a 750 today in a camera store, brought the card home and tried to open the file with Capture NX 2, version 2.4.7 and got the message "Cannot load file: LaCie Little 2014/Nikon750test@allens/100ND750/DSC_0985.NEF" I think this is the latest capture, shouldn't it support the 750?

Oct 18, 2014 at 04:09 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Unable to load 750 file?

Capture NX2 cannot support the newer cameras. Updates have been discontinued. No D750, no D810

You can open with View NX2 if you have the most recent update, which I believe is 2.10.1

One thing you can do, which I just played around with using D810 files is - do the preliminary global RAW file adjustments such as white balance, picture controls, etc. under View NX2... Then CONVERT the file to a 16 bit tiff, saved in the same directory (original size, etc.). Then open that file with Capture NX2 and perform final adjustments. This lets you use all the U-point technology, etc. for regional adjustments.

Oct 18, 2014 at 04:27 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Unable to load 750 file?

Capture NX 2 has been replaced by Capture NX-D.

Unfortunately Capture NX-D, being a rebadged version of SilkyPix, contains almost none of the features that made Capture NX 2 worth using (ie the complete lack of Nik tools like U-Points).

Oct 18, 2014 at 07:00 PM
david debalko
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Unable to load 750 file?

What will give the highest quality files from the 750 NEFs? Capture NX2 had its quirks but I did like the nef conversions.O got to play with the 750 for a good hour - very nice camera.

Oct 19, 2014 at 05:47 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Unable to load 750 file?

david debalko wrote:
What will give the highest quality files from the 750 NEFs? Capture NX2 had its quirks but I did like the nef conversions.O got to play with the 750 for a good hour - very nice camera.

Capture One Pro, once it has added support, then ACR/LR. Support should come from both vendors shortly (IIRC Adobe already has beta ACR support out).

Oct 19, 2014 at 08:30 AM
thedruid
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Unable to load 750 file?

If you had NX-2 then you can download NX-D, you could of course try C1 trial before buy. Unfortunately NX-D is even worse the NX-2, they have disabled so many features of an already challenged piece of software.

Oct 19, 2014 at 10:10 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Unable to load 750 file?

david debalko wrote:

Nikon NEF files have always been proprietary. The third party vendors have always had to "reverse engineer" them. The raw file conversions by any of those companies are based on best estimates by their software engineers as they unlock the files. Obviously, that's probably not that difficult anymore - to get close.

The Nikon supported software, either View NX2 or NX-D, will still give you the "best" conversion as an initial starting point that reflects the in-camera settings, simply because they have access to the code. Unfortunately, that's as far as they take you, a tiff. Realistically, that may be enough however for 95% of your images. As I stated above in a different reply, there are workarounds. What you lose is the ability to go completely backwards (without completely starting over).

As a practical matter, fine photography processing is going to be much more dependent on the users (Your) skill level than with whatever piece of software you pick. The software's are all complex, going beyond basic conversions will take a concerted effort on your part to really learn how to process judiciously and not garishly. Fortunately, whichever you choose, there are hours and hours of free tutorials on Adobe's and other's sites, or via YouTube, etc. But, there's no way you could tell the differences between software's looking at final images, if processed properly. That behind the scenes work should be invisible.

Personally, I'd still start with View NX2 because it shows the images with the in-camera settings applied, and it's really easy to scroll through all your images (without it building a catalogue like Lightroom). The other's don't do that. Anyway, it's free, and you can completely remove it later if you don't like it. I'd get Photoshop Elements, or Lightroom (just for the raw converter). Or, you can even download the Adobe "DNG Converter" for free (no real tools though).

Anything else is going to be budget driven. You can try the Photoshop Creative Cloud for $9.95 / month, or outright purchase of Lightroom for $79, or Photoshop Elements (I read it now has "Content Aware Fill"), or any of the others. The sky's the limit. I think the Adobe software's are all using the same raw converters (not sure of Elements). And all the companies have 30-day free trials you can download.

Oct 19, 2014 at 10:44 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Unable to load 750 file?

thedruid wrote:
If you had NX-2 then you can download NX-D, you could of course try C1 trial before buy. Unfortunately NX-D is even worse the NX-2, they have disabled so many features of an already challenged piece of software.

Aside from the name, there's no relationship between NX 2 and NX-D.

Capture NX 2 was developed for Nikon by Nik Software (now part of Google), using their own RAW conversion engine and a large amount of the same technologies present in the NIK plugins. Aside from the support for Picture Controls, everything it did well can now be done in LR or PS with the Nik plugins.

Capture NX-D is just SilkyPix with Picture Control support added and some UI mods to make it look kinda sorta like NX 2.

Oct 19, 2014 at 11:50 AM
david debalko
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Unable to load 750 file?

I've been playing with Nikon NX-D and am unimpressed, thinking about Lightroom but I don't see it offered at a flat $79 price, it seems to be apart of a larger package with a monthly fee. Can you get Lightroom for $79?

Oct 21, 2014 at 08:32 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Unable to load 750 file?

david debalko wrote:
I've been playing with Nikon NX-D and am unimpressed, thinking about Lightroom but I don't see it offered at a flat $79 price, it seems to be apart of a larger package with a monthly fee. Can you get Lightroom for $79?

It goes on sale, you have to watch for it, or just pay retail...

ADOBE P/S LIGHTROOM V5 F/WIN/MAC
Manufacturer's Instant Rebate: -$40.00 Exp. 03/01/14
Regular Price: $109.00
Your Final Price: $69.00

I didn't realize it, but there's an active market for Lightroom in the buy & sell also.

Oct 21, 2014 at 08:36 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Unable to load 750 file?

david debalko wrote:

Go to the Lightroom page and scroll all the way down. In the lower right Adobe hides the link to buy the standalone version

this is the link:

https://www.adobe.com/cart.html?marketSegment=COM&#

Oct 21, 2014 at 09:32 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.