Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Best monopod for travel? (small folded length)

armendzh

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best monopod for travel? (small folded length)

I am thinking to buy a monopod and trying to decide which one would be the best to get.

I have Sony a7r. Most of the lenses that I have are small primes, but I also recently bought Canon FD 400mm f/4.5 which is pretty hefty thing to handhold. However, I mostly looking to have one for traveling, possibly one that could easily fit in the carry-on bag and be less of a headache for travel in general.

First, I been looking at SIRUI P-326 (and P-306, not sure if they the same). I like that it can fold down to 15 inches, this can fit even in the shoulder bag. It doesn't have those feet however (like on manfrotto or bentro video monopods), but just simple a soft or sharp/hard foot for ground contact.

I don't know how useful those foldable feet can be (Fluid Base Swivel Tripod Foot). I guess it could be nice to do some long exposures without need for tripod, if camera with lens is balanced on the monopod. However, I can't seem to find one that is around 15 inches or so when folded down.

I did see some videos of modifications done to some monopods to be able to attach (screwable or glued down) one of those fluid swivel feet.

Would be nice if there was some monopod with fluid feet that could be unscrewed for easier packing, like you would unscrew the head.

What could you recommend?

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:06 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best monopod for travel? (small folded length)

The P-326 and 306 are the same design but the latter is metal while the former is CF. I own the P-326 and it's the best travel monopod I've used: featherlight, folds small, sturdy, well made and easy to setup. The twist collars turn really smoothy and are easy on the hands. Plus, I can loosen 3 or 4 simultaneously! In contrast, the twist collars on my two Gitzo tripods and monopod are stiff and actually hurt my hands!

I don't know anything about accessory feet but Sirui makes several monopods with tripod-like bases. The feet reverse fold for storage but the entire unit is considerably longer and heavier. Definitely not fitting in a carry-on like the P-326! The Sirui P-224S has a removable tripod foot:

http://www.amazon.com/Sirui-P-224S-4-Section-Carbon-Monopod/dp/B00I5NKDC4/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1413657816&sr=1-4&keywords=SIRUI+monopod

Oct 18, 2014 at 02:03 PM
armendzh

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best monopod for travel? (small folded length)

I wonder what is the folded length of that Sirui P-224S without tripod foot attached.

Oct 18, 2014 at 02:48 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best monopod for travel? (small folded length)

Always buy a monopod taller than you. Sooner or later you will find yourself in a position where the monopod cannot go on the same level you are.

Oct 18, 2014 at 03:30 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best monopod for travel? (small folded length)

runamuck wrote:
Always buy a monopod taller than you. Sooner or later you will find yourself in a position where the monopod cannot go on the same level you are.

Plus it makes a great selfie pole, mic boom and extension for shooting over crowds! Think he wants a smaller one for travel tho'. I keep a massive old Manfrotto in my car trunk but would never tote that beast through an airport or museum.

Oct 18, 2014 at 09:00 PM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best monopod for travel? (small folded length)

I second the Sirui CF monopod for traveling. Have one, love it. Not ideal for long exposures if that's all you have, but I have tried lashing it to something else sturdy, and it works in a pinch. So, bring some rope or paracord (i almost always have a stash of paracord with me)

Oct 19, 2014 at 12:18 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best monopod for travel? (small folded length)

Last summer I bought a MeFoto A1350 aluminum tripod. It converts to a monopod by removing one leg and the center column, and screwing these two pieces together. Unassembled, the length of the longer piece (the center column) is 15", including the head. Put together and fully extended, it raises the camera to my eye height, and I'm 6'0". I used it to support a Canon 5D3 with a battery grip and a 70-200 f/2.8, to photograph a choir in various cathedrals across Europe. This is a pretty heavy camera/lens combo, but the monopod worked great. It fit easily in my Think Tank Airport Airstream (Think Tank's smallest rolling bag). It would certainly support any mirrorless system. It doesn't have extendable feet at the bottom.

Oct 22, 2014 at 06:19 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.