Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Camera Canada shipping the 7D Mark II on October 30th!

jjoejr
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Camera Canada shipping the 7D Mark II on October 30th!

"Just read his review of it on this site. If I recall he gave it a 7/10, FWIW."

Looked at MTF charts and was surprised the 400/5.6 edged the expensive DO series I lens in resolution but contrast between the two was a virtual dead heat. 4 times the cost for a DO series one vs 400/5.6 for an extra stop and IS ? What am I missing?

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:32 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Camera Canada shipping the 7D Mark II on October 30th!

I guess you don't care about IS or twice as much light reaching your sensor. Or the option of having an 800mm f8 lens (with a 2x TC) that is lighter and cheaper than the 800 mm f5.6, and will AF on some bodies.

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:45 PM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Camera Canada shipping the 7D Mark II on October 30th!

I don't think it's a matter of caring. The value of the dollar will be different for each of us.

What about a compromise of a 300 f/4? The compromise is focal length but the cost advantage is still there.

Oct 22, 2014 at 06:05 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Camera Canada shipping the 7D Mark II on October 30th!

jjoejr wrote:
"Just read his review of it on this site. If I recall he gave it a 7/10, FWIW."

Looked at MTF charts and was surprised the 400/5.6 edged the expensive DO series I lens in resolution but contrast between the two was a virtual dead heat. 4 times the cost for a DO series one vs 400/5.6 for an extra stop and IS ? What am I missing?

Indeed, 400 DO MkI may not have the same sharpness as 400 f/5.6 or a good copy of 100-400. Granted, some 400 DO MkI copies are sharper than others, thus it is a bit tricky to draw a general rule in that regard. Furthermore, both 400 f/5.6 and 100-400 are significantly lighter and much less expensive than 400 DO MkI.

However, the obvious key advantage of 400 DO MkI over its f/5.6 cousins is a nominal aperture of f/4. That means one stop exposure advantage as well as an AF advantage. It doesn't take much of an ambient light loss (or target contrast loss) before f/5.6 lenses start to AF hunt, while 400 DO MkI still continues to focus well.
In addition, as it is to be expected, 400 DO MkI works much better with TCs than either 400 f/5.6 or 100-400.

One has to remember that the nominal aperture, for a given FL, is the most expensive lens design characteristic.

Oct 22, 2014 at 06:31 AM
jjoejr
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Camera Canada shipping the 7D Mark II on October 30th!

TM,Vinnie,PK, thank u for the feedback. Now to address the comments. Mr. Markel, for the last 9 years my pleasure is to photograph BIF. Consisting of 90% of what I shoot. IS not a priority, but a bonus on still shots. 2x on a 400DO markI? Heavier, image quality degradation, slower focusing...Naw I'll pass and try and get closer with my 400/5.6. Lower aperature capability? Shooting large shore birds up close and hummers requires a higher aperature than F4.0 in my experience to get tail and rear end in focus. 98% of my photos have been shot at F6.5 or higher. 300mm with 1.4III converter? Got a chance to compare and shoot the new 300/2.8/II in the field and compare pics with my 400/5.6 on mark IV. Slight edge goes to 300mm. Not enough to sway me and use converter with added weight and cost at almost same focal length. I just keep looking at those fantastic MTF's of the 400DOII vs the 300 bare and with a 1.4 tele, and the DO looks suitable for my style of shooting. Still light enough to lift and shoot fast. Compact. Image quality. Lighter than 300mm with more reach. Added focal length up to 800mm with l.4 tele if I need it on a 7DII and man it just has my attention. As Bill O'Reilly would say, where am I going wrong? Give me another alternative for my style of shooting. Thanx.

Oct 22, 2014 at 09:19 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Camera Canada shipping the 7D Mark II on October 30th!

Any shipment notifications from Camera Canada yet?

Oct 30, 2014 at 08:14 AM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Camera Canada shipping the 7D Mark II on October 30th!

CC confirmed they're starting to fill pre-orders -- a local shooter who was first on the pre-order list picked his up from Camera Canada today. I asked them when they expected to have 7DII's in-stock for over-the-counter purchase and they suggested maybe the of November.

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:26 AM
mmurph
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Camera Canada shipping the 7D Mark II on October 30th!

I got my tracking number a few hours ago. Email time stamp at 9:11 am EST.

I believe that I was the first of the online orders for the kit with 24-70. I ordered on 9/15.

Looking forward to this beast! I have about 1 month of family obligations with the holidays and etc. until I can get out of the cold here and go to Florida.

Edited on Oct 30, 2014 at 02:06 PM · View previous versions

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:51 PM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Camera Canada shipping the 7D Mark II on October 30th!

mmurph wrote:
I got my tracking number a couple of hours ago. I believe that I was the first of the online orders for the kit with 24-70. I ordered on 9/15.

Looking forward to this beast!

Good to hear. I ordered on the 21st but haven't heard anything yet. I know my CC was charged.

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:53 PM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Camera Canada shipping the 7D Mark II on October 30th!

Based on some of my (obsessive) searches on the net it looks like they are up to Oct 20th on their preorders.

Nov 03, 2014 at 06:48 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Camera Canada shipping the 7D Mark II on October 30th!

Gary Irwin wrote:
CC confirmed they're starting to fill pre-orders -- a local shooter who was first on the pre-order list picked his up from Camera Canada today. I asked them when they expected to have 7DII's in-stock for over-the-counter purchase and they suggested maybe the of November.

Gary, I've been told by a dealer that Canon has a tonne of 7DMkIIs in the pipe: my guess is that by December this year many retailers will have ample stock on hand, and in January 2015 they might even start reducing prices in Canada.
No need to rush at all, assuming that we already have a dSLR we can use until we get our 7DMkII.

Nov 03, 2014 at 07:29 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.