New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · First Newborn Shoot

Evinrue20

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First Newborn Shoot

Hi all, I'm new to the posting side of this site, but look forward to learning lots! I did my first newborn shoot yesterday, and have been happy with the results so far. I used all natural lighting, as I like the look, but also don't have any studio equipment. I'm looking for advice on what I "should have" to continue doing these shoots. So far what I have due to my budget, 24-105L on a 5D. 580EX and a YN560III. Now what i want to get: 24" softbox, black/white backdrop. Do I need more lighting? Umbrellas? I don't know much about the use of strobes. I also, when budget permits, will be getting a 70-200 2.8, for portraits as well. Please give me any or all advice of what or what not to do!!! Or if I should be posting this elsewhere. I cant post any of the pics since I'm not a B&S member..boo

Oct 17, 2014 at 08:18 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First Newborn Shoot

Welcome to the posting side of FM.

How you light a shot is really personal as to what look you are going for and what fits your style of shooting.

I would first recommend to not buy anything until you KNOW you will use it. Nothing like having equipment in the corner that never get used. You may find out that you always want to use natural light.

If you become a BS member and post your images, I believe its the best feedback you can get as you can post an image and someone will advise the use of a reflector or try a flash placed to left of newborn or try a flash thru a umbrella, etc.

A quick google search came up with this site which shows different lighting set ups

http://www.dreamartphotography.com.au/newborn-lighting/

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:22 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First Newborn Shoot

It's often a misconception that you have to be a B&S member to post pictures here. You don't. All you have to do is imbed the pics, put the html address and be sure it ends with a ".jpg". Be sure the "http" does not include the "s" as in "https".

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:48 PM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First Newborn Shoot

natural light is perfect for newborns. I only use strobes when I do dad and baby pics and want strong directional lighting and convert the pics to black and white. I use one light for these setups and sometimes add a reflector.

I would add a softbox to your speedlight. I have the lastolite ezybox but there are plenty out there to choose from.

lens wise my favorite is the 35mm f1.4 from nikon there is a less expensive 1.8 version as well. Not sure what canon equivalent there is in the 1.8 range. I like it as it allows me to crop and rotate the image as i please and i get good depth of filed where the baby stands out more. I use that for natural light shots with baby on a bean bag with some throws on it.

Your 24-105 is ideal for flash use as I at least shoot at f8-11 for those.

As Ron mentioned you just need to host your files somewhere and copy the link to post here.

Regards
Bud

Oct 18, 2014 at 09:15 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.