New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Tahrir square - Cairo

Nab8

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tahrir square - Cairo

Its me again! I know im probably hogging but your critique has been very useful so far.

I think I'm finally beginning to get the hang of processing black and white images so im going through my past photos and re editing them (they were totally over edited and quite awful).

Do you think the crop works? Also, does the exposure look ok?

Any critique would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

http://i.imgur.com/kQ05AwX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NOpSrMP.jpg

Oct 17, 2014 at 01:36 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tahrir square - Cairo

#1 is great.
#2 is way too tight IMO.
Not sure if it's the reason you tried the crop, but if that white shirt shining under the main subject's arm bothers you I would just recommend burning/darkening it a little so it doesn't grab the eye quite so much.
The cut-off limbs and fingers don't bother me. I think they actually add to the energy/chaos in this case and makes the image feel more real.
Exposure is high-contrast and there's a little noise/grain but again I think it fits the image.
Good job.

Oct 17, 2014 at 02:05 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tahrir square - Cairo

Not to crazy about the crop from the bottom, prefer from the top.

Oct 17, 2014 at 02:52 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tahrir square - Cairo

If there's any more to the bottom of the frame, giving the subject more chest would improve the original first composition more than cropping more from the top and bottom. Since he's a singular subject, more rather than less would appeal.

In terms of exposure/processing, it would help to compress the highlights because they distract from the subject. Even in a journalist application, dodging and burning to adjust tonal range is an acceptable practice:

Oct 17, 2014 at 03:17 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tahrir square - Cairo

Great capture of the intensity of the moment of the man's expression.
Not much more to add about cropping except that I prefer the first of your two entries.
And you are not hogging time and space on Critique. Post more.
Scott

Oct 17, 2014 at 06:34 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tahrir square - Cairo

AuntiPode wrote:
Even in a journalist application, dodging and burning to adjust tonal range is an acceptable practice:

+1 @ D&B acceptability.

I think it does come with a degree of judicious utilization @ ethical / non-ethical limits for processing. A highly debatable topic with HDR, etc. but in context of other forms of journalistic manipulation, D&B is comparatively benign.

Here's a link (warning @ graphic/disturbing content) that illustrates the degree of manipulation that some will go to. I'm most disturbed by the lack of respect to both our craft and the subject as illustrated by the journalists involved ... a far cry from the aforementioned latitude of D&B acceptability, imo.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1214711/0?keyword=journalist#11572537

+1 @ NOT hogging ... bring on the pics.

Oct 18, 2014 at 05:12 AM
Nab8

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tahrir square - Cairo

Thanks for your comments.
The intention of the crop was to draw more attention to the faces in the crowd, but I think you guys are right, the crop just doesn't work. Ive tried a few other crops and they just don't seem to work as they always cut off at least one point of interest whether it be the guys hand or too much of his body- I think the native format probably works best in this case.

Regarding compressing the highlights, I think you're right, they could do with some work, but I think I still want to keep a bit of the harsh lighting as I think it makes it look more dynamic and also in reality there was an ENORMOUS spot light to the right that the BBC had just set up.

Very interesting information regarding the manipulation of images. I think the saddest thing about the Paul Hansen photo is that the faked look just removes any realism from the shot. That being said, It is a fantastic piece of work, It just unfortunately forces your mind to doubt its credibility, which in photojournalism is never a good thing.

Oct 19, 2014 at 12:57 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tahrir square - Cairo

Nab8 wrote:

in reality there was an ENORMOUS spot light to the right that the BBC had just set up.

Interesting ... @ 1) explains some otherwise unnatural lighting, 2) and now THAT lighting is part of the scene at other PJ. I would have not considered that as the explanation for such without you pointing it out. Will have to keep that in mind re high profile PJ.

Oct 19, 2014 at 03:39 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.