Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Geometric Death Valley

prashant
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Geometric Death Valley

wish you speedy recovery and may many more images like this happen soon.

Oct 18, 2014 at 09:07 AM
fingerda
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Geometric Death Valley

Superb shot, great light. And here's to a speedy recovery.

DaveF

Oct 18, 2014 at 09:52 AM
jph1
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Geometric Death Valley

Great shot. I recently had shoulder surgery myself. Just getting to the point where I can start shooting again. I wish you the best in your recovery.

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:06 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Geometric Death Valley

This image, the processing is killer Fred! The colors are superb.

You have also taken full advantage of the tilt-shift. The near shapes naturally lead the eye way back into the mountains, all perfect...

Good luck with the shoulder recovery!

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:33 PM
Foggy14
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Geometric Death Valley

Fred, very creative. Well done!

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:28 AM
mabidally
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Geometric Death Valley

Beautiful image and hope your shoulder feels better soon.

Oct 20, 2014 at 05:44 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Geometric Death Valley

JohnC wrote:
Nice original take on that area, nice light too. I'm having shoulder problems myself, I hope its not from lugging a backpack full of camera gear around, hope you recover soon.

I'm glad you liked it. Just something different from the classic polygon salt patterns.

---------------------------------------------

Scott Kroeker wrote:
Stunning image Fred. Hope you get back to it soon!

Is your 24mm TSE lens version II?

That is the exact combo I want to upgrade to: A7r+Canon24TSEII.

How is the sharpness of that lens? Any complains about it?

Thanks Scott. It's the version II. All Canon TS-E lenses work great with the A7R. Great color, contrast, resolution all the way to the corners. You can't go wrong with them. My favorite combo is the A7R+TS-E 17mm.

Oct 20, 2014 at 04:44 PM
HighConcept

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Geometric Death Valley

Repetition composition nuanced by a dramatic lighting effect--beautiful. Great job Fred.

Oct 20, 2014 at 04:51 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Geometric Death Valley

like the colors here. Hope you heal quickly! Shoulder injuries are not fun

Oct 20, 2014 at 05:22 PM
Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Geometric Death Valley

Wow - amazing image, Fred! I really want to check out Death Valley sometime soon - it looks gorgeous and is not that far from me. I hope your recovery is going well!

Oct 20, 2014 at 05:54 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Geometric Death Valley

Fred Miranda wrote:
Thanks Scott. It's the version II. All Canon TS-E lenses work great with the A7R. Great color, contrast, resolution all the way to the corners. You can't go wrong with them. My favorite combo is the A7R+TS-E 17mm.

Thank you Fred. I've seen some of your 17TSE shots and they are great. I can see myself getting that lens too but I like to use a lot of filters and I do a lot of panoramic work I feel the 24 will be a great first lens. C'mon lotto ticket!

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:59 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Geometric Death Valley

Fabulous image, Fred. I know that place is dear to you, and I'm hoping you will be there again soon with a freshly repaired shoulder.

Oct 21, 2014 at 11:31 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Geometric Death Valley

Schlotkins wrote:
Fred - great image. I want to go to Death Valley at some point soon (I'm in Irvine). I may hit you up for suggestions.

What did you have done to your shoulder? I went under the knife for my shoulder in June. It's been a long road for me. Hope you have had better luck!

Chris

I'm in San Clemente.
I had shoulder impingement but luckily my tendons and ligaments were fine. The recovery is longer than I expected but I'm getting there. Thanks for your kind words.

Sunny Sra wrote:
Fred,
Fantastic! Get well soon ol' buckaroo! where is this place?

It's in the Salts close to the Furnace Creek Area (DV).

gnbuzz wrote:
Very otherwordly, Fred. I hope you didn't have rotator-cuff surgery. As a longtime sportswriter, I know it's one of the toughest rehabs of any surgery.

Best,
Glenn

I got lucky and it wasn't full tear rotator cuff. It's from my bodybuilding days. I really abused my body at the gym.

JimFox wrote:
Hey Fred,

Wow..... very very nice! That is a cool area of Badwater you captured there.

I hope you have a speedy recovery, it will be time for more DV shooting soon!

Jim

Thanks Jim! I was planning a trip to Yosemite in December but the way this recovery is going, I may have to postpone any serious shooting until next year. At least I can still enjoy the great images you guys post here!

Oct 21, 2014 at 07:05 PM
shindig
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Geometric Death Valley

like it. a lot.

Oct 25, 2014 at 12:17 AM
philtax
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Geometric Death Valley

Hi Fred,

Another amazing image! Remarkable light and the foreground is otherworldly. I wish you a full and speedy recovery.

Phil

Oct 25, 2014 at 09:22 PM
Claude
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Geometric Death Valley

Spectacular scene!
Sorry to hear about your surgery. Get well soon!

Claude

Oct 26, 2014 at 01:44 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Geometric Death Valley

Inspiring picture, Fred! Get well, as we all want more!

Oct 26, 2014 at 02:20 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Geometric Death Valley

Anand Pichumani wrote:
Hi Fred,
Wish you a quick recovery.
This is another trade mark capture of yours. As always your composition is excellent and pleasing to the eye. I like the way the light colored salt crystals are lines up and leading to the left while the right is dark. It plays well with the background light.
Can you share you tilt and shift settings in this shot to get optimum sharpness?
Anand

Death Valley is the best location I know to use a tilt and shift lens. You can tilt it away and never worry about different height elements getting out of your tilted focal plane.

My technique is simple and always works for me. First I level the camera on the tripod and adjust the shift height in order to get the best composition without tilting the camera (This is make sure I'm distortion free).

Once I'm happy with the composition on the back LCD, I start the tilt process. Personally I prefer starting by focusing on the background and then tilt the lens down until I see my foreground element in focus. Then, I fine-tuning by re-focusing on the foreground. Once more, I fine-tune the tilting angle for the foreground. Usually I'm done at that point and have a new focal plane where my foreground and the background are in equal focus.

Best,
Fred

jph1 wrote:
Great shot. I recently had shoulder surgery myself. Just getting to the point where I can start shooting again. I wish you the best in your recovery.

Thank you. Shoulder surgery is a tough one because it restricts you too much. It's been a month since the surgery and I'm starting to do things normally again.
The bad news is that after I recover from this I will have to do the same thing for the other shoulder!

Lisa_Holloway wrote:
Wow - amazing image, Fred! I really want to check out Death Valley sometime soon - it looks gorgeous and is not that far from me. I hope your recovery is going well!

I can't wait to see your images from DV Lisa!

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:02 PM
       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.