New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Lighthouse lemonade

gregfixit
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lighthouse lemonade

Just got back from a trip to Door County Wisconsin. We had great weather going out and coming home but as soon as we passed Green bay we had rain the whole time. Door county has quite a few lighthouses and we wanted to take some photos so off we went. Cana Island Lighthouse is supposed to be the best lighthouse in Door county so we were excited to get there. We walked out to the island and as soon as the man took our money he said, "Please excuse the dust, we are doing a little renovation." The first photo shows some of the renovating that was going on.

We spent the next hour looking for photos that were about the location and experience, and less about the grey sky and construction equipment. Her are a few of my favorites.
For #2 I didn't crop at all with hopes that I may get some crop suggestions from this forum. I would appreciate any and all C&C.
Thanks
Greg

© gdgood photography 2014

"A little renovating"

From the edge of the island.

The old fence.

3rd order Fresnel lens.

Spiral stairs.

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:14 AM
_Rob_S_
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lighthouse lemonade

You did well. I have a favorite shot from years ago of the spiral stairs going up. Nice shots!

Rob

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:50 AM
Nab8

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lighthouse lemonade

They are nice but I would say lighthouse in the second and third photos are a touch wonky, also I think the third photo could do with a bit more depth of field to get the lighthouse perfectly focused. The last one could be turned into a fantastic photo but there's just too much camera shake going on.

Edited on Oct 17, 2014 at 01:16 PM · View previous versions

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:51 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lighthouse lemonade

3 and 4 are my choices here. Here are a couple crops. I always choose standard aspects. so one is 4x5 and 2 is 3x2.

Some might complain about the lighthouse being centered, but I never understand that.

Oct 17, 2014 at 12:20 PM
kabraxcis
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lighthouse lemonade

Are you using the Nikon 12-24? I can't recall if any other 12-24 lenses are out there

Oct 17, 2014 at 12:24 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lighthouse lemonade

Very hard to get a good lighthouse when the light and grounds aren't cooperating. Something very odd about the light in the stairs image. Because it's a graphic design subject, it really needed to be sharper. Perhaps convert to B & W and play with darkness to finesse some of the sharpness issues and a bit of a crop for a more classic spiral composition?

Oct 17, 2014 at 02:57 PM
gregfixit
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lighthouse lemonade

Thanks to all for the great feedback. I took these with the Sigma 12-24 and it is broken as well. The aperture control does not work so it always shoots at the largest available aperture.

Ben; thanks for the crop suggestions. I like both of them.

Karen; Great job on the conversion. I will definitely play around with the original now.

Nab8. I believe I straightened #2 but I did not for #3. You are right about the depth of field, If I could have taken these at f8 or higher the DOF would not have been a problem. I know I should quit using this lens but I just love the crazy things it can do. (Maybe I'll send it in for repair)

Thanks for the great suggestions.
Greg

Oct 17, 2014 at 06:28 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lighthouse lemonade

Nab8 wrote:
They are nice but I would say lighthouse in the second and third photos are a touch wonky, also I think the third photo could do with a bit more depth of field to get the lighthouse perfectly focused. The last one could be turned into a fantastic photo but there's just too much camera shake going on.

Can you describe what you mean by the lighthouse is a touch wonky?

Oct 17, 2014 at 06:36 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lighthouse lemonade

I like the comp in the second. I think the vignetting is a bit too noticeable.
Third is OK but you have some competition between foreground and background subjects (rock wall vs lighthouse). I think the brighter rock bottom center strengthens the pull to the wall.
I think Karen's rework of the last image helps to overcome the technical issues of too shallow DOF and/or too much camera shake. But I know you were probably challenged shooting low light. I like the comp very much.

Scott

Oct 17, 2014 at 06:40 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lighthouse lemonade

and the fourth I think needs a bit more contrast, pop. Bit of vignette worth trying to reduce further. I did a quick partial reduction of the vignette in LR but not really adequate. And there are some color shifts along the outer edges of circular metal piece.
also works in BW
quick reworks, bumping up against small file size and the development of artifacts, but some tweaks. Bumped clarity, edge sharpening, bit of curves in both. Color slider play in BW conversion, predominantly reducing blues and bumping most other tones

Scott

Oct 17, 2014 at 06:54 PM
gregfixit
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lighthouse lemonade

Thanks for the comments and reworks Scott. at 22mm the vignetting was pretty noticeable so I pulled it back and the sky looked just grey. (Of course it was just grey) So I put a little back in. I can dial it back a bit.
I really like both your versions of the lens. I like what the color does for the glass and I like what the B&W does for the composition.
Thanks for taking the time to help out.
Greg

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:03 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.